An Unstable Guide to Atomic

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Snix, Dec 6, 2015.

1. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Regarding the tanking side. Damage mitigation is the best form of… well damage mitigation. The aura gives 25% mitigation. This is damage that never gets dealt to you and you do not have to really account for (outside of a few sources). For a tank it’s actually very easy to activate and maintain since I’m tank role the aura lasts longer (20 seconds I think). It also has the best add perma juggle out of all the tanks because of TCE (the melee non-pull). With a bit of positioning you can keep enemies juggled for an entire fight (except for those who can’t be CCed or similar types of adds). And it has, arguably, the best range pull (it’s a freaking teleport!!!).

It’s true that for bosses (I’m elite/elite+) you ideally want to kite more than stand and combo). But because the aura is easy enough to maintain there really isn’t much reason to not use it. And if it is a pure ST boss you can easily make room for double/triple shields (st taunt, combo, breakout (with ally), density, HLS, mass density, second short cut).

That said, I do still believe density should be made into a shortcut. It’s literally the weakest shield with no ther benefits to justify it being the weakest.

As for the dps side. It’s not as bad as I hear so many say. It may not be a meta power but that doesn’t mean it’s weak. I still believe it’s biggest weak point is having to use a shortcut to have the aura up. To do effective damage you always need to have an ability in your loadout that you will only ever use at start of a fight or when you mess up. I think the best way to “fix” this would be to allow combo abilities to activate the aura too and remove the needing to get x amount of thingies (forgot what they are called) to have the aura activate. Make it so you just need to do a full combo clipped with a combo ability. But “fix” is a bit of a stretch since it’s more of an inconvenience than a glaring issue.

Overall I think atomic is greatly underrated. Especially with so many arts being out that allow players to cover for some of its weak points.
  2. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

I like the idea of density being an instant aura applicator.

I’d also like to see either atom powered assault or unleashed antimatter (supercharge generator) do the same for dps

I’d like to see one of our range combos become an aoe dot or combo into an aoe dot

Either make nuclear burst I think it’s called. (the 100 combo) or make beta surge a full range combo again and have it combo into a dot.

Energize id like to see changed into a damage buff sc and control effect reducer similar to ice elemental or circuit breaker

I like using heat vision but I don’t like relying on it for a dot which is why I use it
    • Like x 1
  3. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I know a lot of people say/think this. But I honestly believe that the "teleport" is really just a visual thing and that functionally it's not any better than other powers' LOS cone pull. But I could be wrong.

Depends on the boss and the build. Shadow of Trigon in COUe was one of the few most recent non-+ or non-critical level bosses that was giving tanks all over the game fits at the start of a DLC. Lot of other tanks using other powers had to kite while they were under geared. Not me. I stood in one spot and combo'd through every phase. Sometimes I'd just roll to the other side of him cause he liked to crowd a muhfugga with that stank-azzz breath, lol. I remember other tanks saying you had to counter the uppercut or it'd one shot you. I was like "he uppercuts??? hmmm, didn't notice" :p

ST is certainly not as bad as many say. It's basically RSK, heat vision which most might ST loadouts use and is the same for all, geiger beam which is one of the top 2-3 strongest ST finishers and neutron bomb. NB isn't particularly great, especially since the payoff is on the 3rd tick (but can be clipped), but what it lacks in strength it makes up in utility as simply spamming it during AOE phases of mostly ST fights is a lot better than what a lot of other might powers can do for AOE in ST loadouts.

Also, the only two players I've ever encountered that seemed to at least somewhat hang with the meta sweats both didn't use an aura activator in elite boss fights. Their reason being that you can activate your aura with just combos and the length of elite boss fights is long enough that your aura uptime is still quite high. High enough that it's worth opening up a slot. Personally, I don't care enough about my tank alts DPS to care and recent content has been extra heavy on CC's and other interrupts so I'm more than happy to have the immunity aura activator in my LO. Especially since I use La Mort card in ST (I purposely didn't wanna use meta arts since it's a tank toon) and get my finisher back quicker. And for AOE, Electron Flair is the 2nd hardest hitting power after GB and the only DoT. But for what it's worth, the two best atomic DPS's I've encountered both said no activator.
    • Like x 1
  4. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

The teleport actually does seem to do what it says, at least to me. With other pulls (especially earth) they suffer from collisions and will have adds bump into each other mid pull and end up half way from where they were. I’ll admit thou that I have not outright tested this specifically.

Yea, that loadout is basically the same as mine for ST. I can see why some would prefer to not run with an activator. If the fight is long enough and one could maintain the aura through the whole fight, the slower start time would have been made up throughout the fight with an actual useful ability. Thou I’m not much of a gambler and I want to have to to be safe cause I can’t guarantee that something won’t happen lol.
  5. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I think neutron bomb is the only power in that LO that even benefits from the aura and it’s the weakest of the three. Heat vision certainly doesn’t and I’m fairly certain geiger beam doesn’t. So one isn’t missing out on much much even in a run where interrupts are more prevalent and/or the mechanics require lots of non-pew pewing actions.

This is exactly the kind of thing that has made my biggest and most consistent wish for this game to be for the combat log analyzer or something similar to be available to console players. It would be my greatest weapon in my never ending war against those who substantiate their debate/argument positions based on “it feels/seems like…”. F their feelings, Data FTW! But alas, as the saying goes, it’s the hope that kills ya lol.

edit: I forgot to mention above that I also sneak in a jump cancelled heat vision for some extra ticks when spamming Neutron Bomb during add phases in mostly ST boss fights.
  6. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

It’s true that NB is the only one that really used the aura. However it’s still one move I tend to use often. When I use HV I don’t use solar amp. I feel it’s a crutch and I barely use it on any power these days lol. For ST I tend to jump clip out of HV and go back into NB so I’m essentially in use NB most of the time. It’s about a 66% of the time when comparing the 3 primary abilities. So while it may the only ability I use for ST that uses the aura, it’s the most used ability too.
    • Like x 1
  7. Retire Well-Known Player

What arts do you run for your dps ? I'm running Amulet, Trans, Strat at the moment. I swap out Amulet for Gem when I have a super ready also
  8. Warlock Well-Known Player

Just curious on what you'd recommend for loadouts/artifacts and ST/AOT Builds for Atomic Might DPS. I can see this guide below, which I don't mind following. However, it hasn't been updated in some time, and, while it is comprehensive, I wonder if it is out of date yet. Thanks!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2232911471
  9. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

The thing to keep in mind (which I tell people who ask this all the time) is that you should build for what you actually play. This goes primary for AoE but can be said about ST. The biggest issue with giving everyone the same loadout is that not everyone runs the same thing. And just because something looks good on Sparring Targets doesn’t mean it will do the same in content.

The biggest factor in what you should build comes down to Elite vs Reg. Strategist Card works better in AoE situations where the enemies live long enough for them to take multiple ticks of Strat Procs. The majority of the player base either only runs elite for renown and then sticks to reg. In these situations Strat greatly loses value.

So in order to know what you should be recommended, anyone giving you USEFUL info would need to know what you personally run normally. On top of what I said above, some info on your toon would help too. Do you have multiple armories to dps? On average most players will have 2-3 armories. ST/AoE/Support, ST/AoE (for those who don’t play support), or DPS/Support
  10. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Sorry didn’t see this. But the response I gave above can be done for you too.
  11. Warlock Well-Known Player

Hey Deity, thanks for your reply. I totally get your response. Actually, I really appreciate you underscoring the fact that one size doesn't fit all, which is why just going to the Youtube and picking what's there is probably not optimal a lot of the time. Anyway -- newer player (left game early on and just returning) on fresh 30 and starting gear/artifact grind, so elite will be awhile. I haven't picked up any armories yet; I don't plan to tank initially--so if I play this a bit and do like it, I'll get 2 for ST/AOE. I did run a few duos, and keeping up the aura was a pain, because I'd get interrupted. I do like the theme and effects, so I'm just trying to see if I can make it work (in addition to my healer support).

Also, curious if the builds in The Might Master DPS Guide (linked in my earlier post) are reliable. If you haven't checked it out, no worries.
  12. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Welcome back.

In general I don’t really look up power guides since I prefer testing everything first hand haha. I know AV is good. Not sure if those are updated so can’t confirm.

As atomic you can start out pretty simple and work your way up. So with that in mind keep your core 3 abilities. These are Atom Splitter, neutron Bomb, and any short cut ability. I recommend starting with proton remedy. Remedy has a relatively short(er) cooldown compared to the other short cuts. Get used to clipping them and activating your aura quickly and then maintaining the aura by combining both NB and AS back and forth. You’ll want to do each one at full combo. So NB (full combo) > AS (full combo) > repeat.

When you get used to and comfortable doing these you can start doing other things.

You can also add robot sidekick for passive damage and either atomic blast or word of power. Keep in mind that both word of power and atom splitter are mid range.

For the last slot you can add a shield for the moment until you can get comfortable doing other things.
    • Like x 1