Hope (Blue Lantern Powerset?)

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Solarverse, Apr 10, 2016.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I still feel it's the visibility of the powers themselves and the glowing hands that contribute to the impression that there's a "bunch." It'd be easy to think that when they're the easiest power sets to see.
  2. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

There are 9 colors to the Light tree: Green, Yellow(or Sinestro), Blue, Indigo, Red(or Rage), Violet(or Star Sapphire), Orange, Black, and White so it wouldn't be unreasonable to have all 9 in game as there are in the DC universe. The trick is picking which ones will be hero or villain and what role. We already have controller(Green/Yellow) and Tank(Rage) so why not a healer power as well? Black and White are both out because both are too insanely powerful and Orange is out because there can only be 1 Orange lantern and he's not known for sharing even though there have been other members so that basically leaves Blue(Hope), Indigo(Compassion), Violet(Love). Kind of hard to have such emotions as hope, compassion, and love as villain powers although the Star Sapphires have been known to be bad guys so IMO if they were to do a Healer power it would be Blue or Indigo on hero side and Violet on villain side and do them like they did green and yellow. I think if they do do it(and even though it's not in the immediate plans I would think it's on a back burner somewhere) it would be cool to see more from the light brigades out there.
    • Like x 1
  3. Solarverse Committed Player

Exactly. If I were on the Dev team and I could get DC to give us the GO for Blue and Black Lanterns, I would give blue to the Hero side, then I would take the time to write a great story that would tie the Black Lanterns to the Yellow Lanterns in much the same way that Blue Lanterns are tied in to the Green Lanterns. That would open up doorways and make for some very fun stories...in my opinion of course.

On the mechanics side of things, both power sets would be the same with obvious color differences and construct changes between the two. However, they would be mirror sets.

That is the perfect world according to my mind though. Unfortunately my mind does not represent the community, only myself.
  4. DeadSteel Active Player

I mean technically there are green lanterns all over dcuo
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think you'd have to get REALLY creative with trying to link up Black Lanterns with the Sinestro Corps, though, never mind any of the other corps. Black Lanterns basically being thralls for Nekron's will/plans (regardless of whether the ring took possession of a corpse or a living person) could be a tough aspect of the Black Lanterns to work around.

There's also the detail that both Black and White Lanterns were definitively ruled out as playable powers by the devs, and they haven't shown any signs of changing that view. It was the only time I can remember the devs saying flat out that a particular power for players wouldn't happen. Anything else (including a Healer Lantern class) has gotten the "we have no plans at this time" line.
  6. DeadSteel Active Player

Ok since lore is what we're going by, the in game lore which being that this is basically an elseworld story with rules similar to the earth one yet rules that are also different, like deputized red lanterns with the power to create brutal constructs and have there will power intact without bathing in the blood pits. Now the indigo rings seek out those without compassion and fill them with it its a parasitic ring much like the orange ring, now what would happen if the indigo tribe mass produced deputy rings, they still seek out hosts without compassion but aren't strong enough to bend the will of the user, as for star sapphires, yes all you need is love not love specifically of a person but love in general Guy Gardner used the violet ring by channeling his love for the gl corps to power his ring, I'm all for males getting to use sapphire powers, what I'm proposing is a way to first get three more corp colors, then with power skins give you the choice of what color you really want to use.
  7. Solarverse Committed Player

I agree.

However, a good writer could make it happen and could make it a great story that makes perfect sense. As far as the story goes, it could easily be done with the correct writer. Mechanics is doable. A great artist with a good imagination could make the animations/constructs work. The only thing left would be to get DC to cooperate with it and get the Devs to change their minds about not doing Black Lanterns. I think the latter of the two would be the most difficult, if not outright impossible.
  8. Milutin Mujovic Well-Known Player

9. MariaTenebre Committed Player

I am for changing lore if it is actually an improvement however in this comics accuracy in the comics is stressed and it violates lore and is downright sexist to make the Star Sapphires female only.

Well the devs should have made the Heart of the Predator gear for both genders given the fact that the Star Sapphires are not female only.

Having Star Sapphires as villains only violates lore. Star Sapphires have been on both sides of good and evil and they under Carol Ferris are mostly good in game. Honestly I don't think it would violate lore too much by making multiple Orange Lanterns. They could make up a story like that Lex Luthor steals Orange Rings and spreads them around. After all he did steal a ring himself. If Blue Lanter is the healing power then I say put Orange on the villain side and maybe we could have Star Sapphire power as say a power mode variation of Hard Light as it kind of already is in game. That being said I would prefer if Star Sapphire or Love was the healing Lantern power.

Also I hope the Lantern healer power is not Indigo as they do not interest me and they are heroic. I will only make another Lantern character if the healer Lantern power is Blue Lantern or Star Sapphire.
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

If following lore and what the comics do accurately is so important, then why haven't we seen all of the lore changes that came with the New 52? Why didn't they follow stories like Blackest Night exactly when introducing Nekron, and why haven't we seen anything from the Final Crisis event that preceded Blackest Night?

The devs stated a while ago that the game version of the DC universe is its own. It does not exactly follow what was done in the comics, but they are free to use elements from the comics in the game (how we got the New 52 Superman and Batgirl outfits). They are also apparently free to not use elements and/or stories from the comics for the game if they don't fit what they are trying to do. The lore is a guide of sorts, telling them what they can't do and setting some limits. But at the same time, there's nothing that says they HAVE to do everything that is in comics lore, unless of course DC says, "You gotta do this."

There are arguments to be made that they could have and possibly should have made male versions of Star Sapphire gear, I won't deny that. But to say that they must make that gear because it was in the comics just doesn't fly, not when DC (the people who have the power to tell them what they have to do in terms of lore) has given them some leeway to use or not use what they wish for the game.

As for multiple Orange Lanterns, that just doesn't seem likely to pass the lore test. For starters, Larfleeze isn't known for sharing. In Blackest Night his first reaction to seeing his ring split due to Ganthet's actions was to chase it and try and get the extra ring back. Additionally, Lex Luthor isn't the giving sort to begin with, so him handing out rings like that would be rather out of character. It'd be even more out of character if he was using an Orange ring at the time, especially when you take into account his actions during Blackest Night.

The whole greedy nature of the Orange ring makes it tough to justify using that as a Healer power (healing is more of a selfless act), and the actions of those using an Orange ring make it tougher to justify multiple Orange Lanterns. It'd be just as much of a challenge as Solarvoid's idea of linking Black Lanterns to Sinestro Corps for Black Lantern Healers.
  11. MariaTenebre Committed Player

Well this is pre new 52 although we have seen certain things from the new 52 like how we are seeing more heroic Red Lanterns for instance. Also they are supposed to adhere to lore to a certain extent and it violates lore and is downright sexist to make the gear female only and is something they should rectify.

Also I could see multiple Orange Lanterns working. Like for instance if Lex stole the rings. I could see him giving Orange Rings out to say create his own army of Orange Lanterns. Maybe including people like Cheetah, Captain Cold. Lex is kind of giving to people if he feels it can benefit him which is why he is the Meta villain mentor and I could see him stealing rings from Larfleeze and giving them out to some of his subordinates to have a veritable Lantern army and maybe to even usurp Larfleeze kind of like how Guy Gardner did with Atrocitus. Also I don't see how it would be problematic for the Orange Lanterns to be healers after all all of the Lantern rings can heal and healing your team mates is in your own best interest. So I could see it work if done well Although again I would prefer Star Sapphire power as a healing power if you are willing to expand lore I could explain away an Orange Lantern healing power.
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

In regards to what the devs can do with this game, you've just illustrated my point. And what they have been doing has apparently not been a problem for DC in terms of adhering to lore. If that WOTL 1 video is any indication, DC steps in with lore adherence issues WELL before we might even see them. You've made it abundantly clear that you have a problem with it, but when the people in charge of the lore don't seem to have any issues with it, it can undercut any arguments you make that the devs are violating lore.

As for Orange Healers for villains, there are methods and game mechanics that could make Orange a healing power, but like most of the remaining corps there's still the lore problems. Even without looking at comics lore, there's the in-game lore to deal with as well. Any of the Orange Lantern-style versions of characters are mist-infused and not wearing a ring, plus (just like the comics) Larfleeze's "corps" of Orange Lanterns is made up of constructs.

With game mechanics, getting a Healer Lantern would probably be doable. The devs have shown a lot of creativity in coming up with power sets over the years. But to get the Healer Lantern that players want to play (Blue, Star Sapphire or even Orange), we'd need DC to give the okay to loosen up on the lore restrictions/challenges. Right now the only one that could pass the lore test with few difficulties would be the Indigo Tribe, and that's probably the least requested one.

Knowing our luck, though, even if DC did allow it, there's a chance they'd force Staff use as a requirement, and that's not exactly one of the more popular weapons in the game either. :D
  13. MariaTenebre Committed Player

As I was stating before DC over all is pretty lenient with them violating lore. Somethings they are not so lenient with other things they pretty much let the devs get away with murder. It violates lore not to mention is sexist making the Star Sapphires female only which they should rectify their mistakes.

Also actually I disagree I think an Indigo power would violate lore as the Indigo Tribe are heroic. One the Indigo Ring gets on you, you immediately get flooded with Compassion making you heroic and not willing to do the many nasty actions required of villains. Personally I think the Star Sapphire power would be better as they have been both good and evil and they have both males and females as well. They should make the healer Lantern power Star Sapphire for both factions and for both genders and give males iconic Star Sapphire gear.
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Until or unless DC says they're violating lore, all you are doing is voicing an opinion. They get to make that call, not you.

As for the Indigo Tribe, the rings may force compassion on most of their ring bearers, but that doesn't automatically make them heroic. It just makes them compassionate, and like love and any other emotion it can take both helpful and destructive forms. The only character I can think of that was a truly heroic Indigo Tribe member was Atom during Blackest Night, with possibly John Stewart during War of the Green Lanterns as well (though how he ended up using the power makes that a little more murky).
  15. JKwak Well-Known Player

i dont care anymore about a blue light power set but i want hope corgi as NPC and as Legend
    [IMG]
  16. MariaTenebre Committed Player

What matters is if the story matches up with the comics which DCUO has done things that do not and it violates lore to make the Star Sapphires female only as the comic shows.

Next once the Indigo Ring gets on someone it fills them with Compassion making them care strongly about all life. They as such abandon their villainous ways to help people. It is just like that once the Black Ring gets on someone it turns them into a villainous zombie whose sole goal is to bring universal death.
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

The story can't match up. The introduction of exobytes and such took our DC universe story in a different direction from the comics right off the bat. In addition, the game's method/version of introducing Nekron and the War of the Light was also different. So it can be argued that the groundwork that led to the introduction of temporary male Star Sapphires in the comics isn't even in the game.

Getting a little more philosophical about the rings and such, I can't call the Indigo Tribe as a whole heroic or the Black Lanterns villainous without reservation, largely because the rings for both corps usually remove any sort of free will in those that are taken by the rings. Most of them don't serve by choice or retain the ability to act as they see fit. And if their rings are either destroyed or removed, usually the individual reverts back to their original personality.

Looking at it from the hero side, a truly heroic act is done not because a person is forced to act in that manner, but because they choose to act in that manner. Doing the right thing because you have to or are being forced to merely makes it an action taken. Doing the right thing simply because it's the right thing is far more heroic.
  18. Shadow_Muerte Level 30

but saphires wear pink, hard to look bad *** in pink.
  19. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Here you go. Now you can look bad *** in pink.
    [IMG]
  20. Wilv79 New Player

They should just give us a selection of colors for hard light so we could choose between blue, indigo, violet, orange, green and yellow.