So DPSing is hard...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by KrilTsuuroth, Apr 15, 2014.

1. EXINGTON Well-Known Player

Oh looks its the logic, not insecure and illogical rants of subpar players who probably has never even been in an Alert group with a real DPS.

I also play every single role, and to be honest not even solo healing is as hard as getting top damage in some of the groups that I run with. Tanking is fairly difficult but you can either do it or you can't whereas with DPS you ALWAYS have to be on your toes.

And anyone who says trolling is the hardest role LOL, I'm not even going to dignify that with a reply, all I will say is that I consider trolling the "optimal" role for "new" players. Don't get me wrong I know some amazing controllers who are clutch but you don't need to be amazing at anything to troll competently.
  2. chubbychase New Player

Ah, so this is why I came back to the game and suddenly 90% of trolls I get in a PuG suck...stop recommending that as a starter role (thank f*** christ for the existence of supply drops)... If your are going to go with a starter support role, at least recommend something more common in other games...

Thank you, kindly...
    Chubs.
  3. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

From hardest to easiest: Heal - Tank - Troll - DPS

- Healing to me, takes the most skill...You have to watch your screen as well as everyones health bar, anticipate heals, time heals right, etc
    - Tank is the second hardest for me...Im not a good tank...I can get you through a raid, but there will be times where I just lose aggro
    - Controlling is easy...Throw POT every 20 seconds, throw in some empowerments, debuff if needed...DUN.
    - DPS is the easiest by far...Let me have 20 minutes to test some things out and ill give you a competent loadout and rotation for any power...Hit buttons and move from the bad stuff.
    • Like x 1
  4. J Zmooth New Player

Lol no. Just no.
    • Like x 1
  5. chubbychase New Player

This makes more sense (except for healer). I think the real problem is people confuse ease of use with role mastery. DPS is by far the one with the most room for improvement (either that or I have just grown used to running with bad DPS over the years, but it hasn't prevented contented from getting done, so there). I also agree with tanking being harder than controlling--at early days of the game everyone was encouraged to do some amount of DPS to help with power management, and now everyone wants a lot of that little blue juice, but being at constant labor doesn't necessarily mean being difficult to use. Today, it is rare to see tanks that know how to play--a number of them, when you even get one to run with, take far too much damage and aren't always sure about positioning during a fight, and most of the time I have gotten a tank who is new to the content or the power set, it has been a rough ride. Controller, from set to set, is essentially the same activities with different power FX.

Healing though, is not the hardest of them all...it is actually the easiest. It is easier to mess up as a DPS than to mess up as a healer. Most of the issues in a raid that come down to a healer are usually due to other problems and not the healer himself (assuming he at least read the tool tips and knows what powers to use at the very least). Having no health or little health has a big impact on the raid, but right now, especially with the amount of restoration we have on gear, healing is too easy. Most healers do fine by keeping up hots (some don't even do that) and using heals when they see health bars dropping. Watching others is a typical healing expectation in any game so that they may react appropriately, it is what healing is about.

Overall, though, I think they made each role relatively easy to use at its bare minimum and the only reason people keep labeling controlling as difficult is because of how quickly and often one who's running outside of his/her typical group gets shouted on due to the content and community at large being so powercentric in its current state.
    • Like x 2
  6. EXINGTON Well-Known Player

Really ? You always get the content done ? All the content ? Like EO ? With Bad DPS ? I find that difficult to believe, I might be old school well I know I am but whenever I started a new role I did not consider myself adequate for that role until I was able to adequately fill that role for the hardest content in the game.

Perhaps that is a harsh strict standard but if people we're more considerate of their ability in respects to the content they are able to actually actively participate and move forward maybe we would have a more peaceful community. But I guess that's just me, being a veteran player producing bad quality players right ?

But as someone who plays both controller and dps on a daily basis its amazing to see people just completely try to downplay the participation this role makes in group content to be honest in solo content, i mean really, playing a support role in solo content ? LOL, you ever try running the catwoman solo as a healer or the penguin solo ? Back when it first came out ? Come on guys, come on,

DPS move the raid foward, they are offense, pure and simple, they push and we make sure they don't die so we all get loot. Why is there so much emotional investment here, it's not logical, I like tanking, for what it is, but I know how hard it is compared to DPSing and i know how EASY it BECOMES, whereas with DPS your always under scrutiny you are always being measured ALWAYS.

And if you haven't noticed for all the people who say DPS is not an extremely vital role in the group, there is a little raid with a little feat called Epic Odyssey, where if you do not have the burn to kill a boss within 2 minutes and 30 seconds you will wipe, 100 % promise, unless you already got through 2 bosses and on your 3rd about to hit your 4th, but your not getting through 2 EO bosses with bad DPS.

Before that there was another raid called prime battleground where if the burn wasn't there you were going to wipe from the healer drones and were not able to get feats without good DPS and before that their was FOS 3, were if you didn't have the burn those twin sunstone adds would come in and roflstomp every1 and keep on spawning.

But more then anything we are all just players, and good dps is more then just pressing buttons, this is what happens when I dps in most raids.

I make sure I have my back up equipped on my belt, raid begins i pop my back up and I pop my pet trinket for the buff and my PVE trinket, then I pop my AOE/buff powers, then I swap out my back up for my orbital and I pop that then I swap in my CC trinket then I put my back up back in my belt so I make sure I keep my timer correct so I don't waste HT. All the while I'm doing this I'm also making sure to keep my dots active as on many debuffed targets possible while clipping my weapon into my dots and my burst attacks while keeping an eye out on my AOE/buff cooldowns. I'm also keeping an eye out on my SC bar, and I make sure to swap in my SC ability when its full, dump it out on mobs and then put in whatever I use for that slot.

This is what happens when I troll.

If I'm potting I'm pressing the button that makes sure the lightning is up while I keep my trinkets in rotation I do not have to swap in or out any trinkets cause my job is too clip weapon attack into power out, If I'm not potting I make sure the red shield is under any Bosses names if people have low power I press my SC, sometimes people die and I get to press E over their heads and sometimes I have to press E and run with something and not die ( which is very difficult for alot of people I'll have to admit ). Sometimes I have to use my powers to stun targets but the thing I'm stunning dies so fast that its really easy to do... and in a blueeeeeee moon I have to pull but not even all the troller powers have a pull so that shouldn't really count. Oh and I press power out every 2 seconds.

I feel ridiculous for writing that all out but its incredible the amount of validation so many players need, it's all just people pressing buttons and keeping track of timers and SC bars, DPS have to do it as fast as humanly possible with a much more intricate rotation then a controller, healer or a tank, I mean the tank has to do the most moving but outside of that there is really nothing else that any roles does even half of what a dps in a raid where dps matters like EO has to do !!!!
    • Like x 1
  7. Dolfo Dedicated Player

Oh thank you sir the first person in this entire thread to mention 1 very important detail for being a good dps. The power in ratio which a lot of supposed "OP" dps fail to ever bring up. However I would like add to that by saying that dpses dieing to their own shear stupidity is another problem that never gets brought up. Also dpses overwriting their own as well other dpses damage never get brought either.
    • Like x 1
  8. KrilTsuuroth Well-Known Player

THIS^ so much thissss. I couldn't agree more, but nowadays what's considered a "good DPS" is whoever is top DPS a.k.a. scoreboard chasers.
    • Like x 2
  9. GunslingerCoat New Player

I dont think any role is hard, once someone grasp how this game works imo
    • Like x 1
  10. Errorcode1058 New Player

I love how so many people in this thread reduce Controlling to throwing POT and recharging. If you are among this mindset, please stop desperately calling out for our services in LFG. You've obviously never seen a quality HL troll in action.

To the developers…can we please add a switch to settings under the "Role Optional" setting which reads "DPS Optional." We can do ANYTHING without you, it just may be more fun and take a bit longer. You can do NOTHING without us.

DPSing for a group which I am either Powering Up or Tanking for is a privilege, not a right.
    • Like x 1
  11. Bysill New Player

Pushing buttons in a timely fashion is not difficult. That goes for every role. Mind your surroundings and push buttons, that's all there is to it.
    • Like x 2
  12. Larfleeze New Player

That's funny, because I've cleared just about 100% of the content in this game with only DPS. Every solo, every duo, every alert and every raid except Dox and AaB. Between the ridiculousness of Sodas, Supply Drops and Sidekicks, as well as the role-less buffs healers/trollers can be replaced. A good rage or ice DPS can replace a tank in all but Dox/AaB.

Get over yourself buddy.
  13. chubbychase New Player

With your average "bad" DPS? Yes, I do. As far as measurement, the only time that me being measured is a constant is against the other DPS in the group, as we commonly compete among each other, but nobody has a cow if they're last UNLESS we're having problems with the raid overall--where everyone is under scrutiny. Also, EO is a feat, Paradox is the content. I'll say this again, easy to use doesn't mean easy to master. I'm glad you are so proud of your DPS...keep up the good work?

In PvE, as a controller, you can get by just fine by just throwing pot and recharging, so long you keep up your weapon combos and clip it with a recharge to maintain speed. Controlling can be stressful depending on the group you get (as someone mentioned some "OP" DPS really do not account for power in), but in essence during stressful times, this is all that really needs to be done. Blame it on the content, don't hate the people that recognize that. I wish it wasn't so, I had been a controller exclusively for a really long time until the second year and a half of the game...that's all there is to it. Having controllers that do more is certainly a pleasure and duly noted, just like having a great DPS, but in essence that's all there is to it.

I understand people getting passionate about their roles, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to try and be needed for all of them at some point along in the game, but I think we let that get over our heads and expect too much from others as far as basic understanding of the role. Again, mastering a role is not the same as ease of use of said role, getting a feat isn't the same as defeating an instance (going back to paradox, which does not require one to do it the EO fashion to complete it).
  14. Sodam Yat Dedicated Player

Exactly my point,
    Theres absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of competitiveness, historically its one of the best ways for ppl to become better at something. But when a dps has someone KOd close to him but keeps doing damage instead of picking them up just to increase their scoreboard standing, THATS when you know you got a "bad one".
  15. Drathmor Unwavering Player

being a DPS is easy being a great DPS is Hard
    • Like x 1
  16. chubbychase New Player

Except if DPS is good overall and you would like to slack off or slow down some, you can. If the group is going well and you're a controller...and you would like to slack off or slow down... you will probably be reminded to stick to doing your job, in all caps. I laughed so much at that image. I sure don't miss controlling one bit--I upset a lot of people by leaving the powerset/role but no regrets!

^ what this thread boils down to
  17. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

Healing is by far the easiest role on dcuo, it's hard for me to stay awake on my healer. Dps use to be hard when t4 was around because you melee'd more and you had to watch for one shots while meleeing, but now it's easy. Tap hold power tap hold power, one shot coming move tap hold power. And take the fact almost everyone is the easiest power to dps with; Rage, nature, and sorcery. IMO hardest-easy Tank,controller,dps, and healer
    • Like x 3
  18. Dazuzi New Player

Not to burst your bubble, but the ratio itself is not important. What is important is how much damage you can deal with all the available power. When you get X amount of power, you need to be able to get the most out of that power. It's all great and wonderful if your damage to power ratio is good, but it's more important to be able to use ALL the available power efficiently. There is no reason for damage dealers to save power, unless it allows them to deal more damage. I'll repeat it again: it's all about how efficiently you can use ALL the available power.

Just to note: power types aren't equal when it comes to power efficiency, as an example nature can keep three high DoTs up with minimal power usage (one power once every ~11 seconds, the same power spreads the DoTs to nearby mobs), it's probably the most power efficient power type. At the same time nature hits the maximum power usage limit fast, so it loses to burst powers if there's more power available.

Since I'm here: the damage role requires the most effort if you want to reach the top, beat the best of the best. As some have pointed, tanking is complex, but it's more about knowledge than effort.

That's exactly what trolling boils down to. You can add a bit of damage and debuffs to it, maybe even occasional CC, but mostly it's about power restore.

Also, nice ego you have there. People keep saying how these terrible damage dealers are ego maniacs, but looks like you can find those people from each role.
    • Like x 1
  19. Titans1373 Dedicated Player

I'm not going to touch the troll section. Like any role to be great at that role is difficult.

But damage out to power in is very important when it comes to being a great DPS. Topping the board is great, but if you beat the next DPS below you by 10k, and have double the power in and its costing the group I would not say you're a good DPS. I do get some powers require more power to put outtop level damage. A might modded quantum isnt going to look good against a celestial in power in. I get it. But if you're reaching the point of 1-5 ratio to top a board your actually hurting the team by limiting the amount of power available to other players, which can't wipe a raid quickly.
    • Like x 1
  20. DeathandHades New Player

Dpsing is both the easiest and hardest role, its easiest when your average and hardest when your extremely competitive. At its best it requires the most timing, and constant feeling of trying your hardest, if not you fall quick on the boards, it also takes the most practice to be great. hardest part of trolling is geting the double tick, tank its keeping agro and knowing how to stay alive and healing just isnt difficult anymore whith bloated resto.