So DPSing is hard...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by KrilTsuuroth, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Dazuzi New Player

There's nothing new about random people being bad. Anyone can do the damage role, and it's the default role. It's only natural that there's a lot bad people, not to mention that most of the good players tend to be in a few good leagues.
  2. KrilTsuuroth Well-Known Player

It was out of curiosity of peoples opinions, but everyone has to take everything so f'n negative. No one can ever give a straight up answer.
  3. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

Oh, well - you won't get a "straight up answer" to a vague question, presented in a provocative way. You'll realize that when you grow up...
  4. EzioNight New Player

It's the hardest role you gotta be on point with burn or you get the boot for another DPS out of millions out there so it's a very competitive role not everyone can DPS that's a fact to especially if you wanna be the beast DPS.
  5. winter13 New Player

Dps is the easiest role to play, but the most difficult to master
  6. winter13 New Player

I dps, and feel no need to top the scorecard. The scorecard tells you very little about what went on in the instance anyway. Scorecard chasing is a **** measuring contest, and that's all it is. Some players just aren't having fun unless they can gloat over their "victory" on the scorecard, or just smile to themselves that they "won".
    • Like x 1
  7. Malfunkshunn Well-Known Player

i've tried them all and I really only consider my self good at dps and healing...in order from hardest to be good at to easiest
    trolling
    tanking
    dps'ing
    healing

Trolling. you take a lot of **** and you have to know your ****, you need to know who needs debuffing and when, you have to keep pot up even though other players seem to forget that you can be attacked and knocked on your *** too. you have to coordinate with another player. leveling up a troll is hard, because of how ineffective vit is. 103 trolls can barely keep up with a good group of dps's. sparring targets are worthless to trolls and the only way to practice comes at the expense of others.

Tanking. most people think tanking is easy, but it is a lot harder than being a good dps. people rush in beside you and try to fight the boss at melee range and then blame you for not holding aggro. also some bosses/fights are nearly impossible to aggro, though people fail to realize it.

DPS'ing....would be the easiest class if healers restoration wasn't so high, and people weren't so overgeared. simple... step 1. watch youtube videos/read your powers in oracles database. step 2. go to practice dummy and practice for however long it takes to get good at your rotation, step 3 go into fight, spam said rotation, and avoid scripted attacks... very.... VERY simple

Healing... ridiculously easy, again resto is so high, and people are so over geared you can run all content in the game, except 2 raids without a healer... A&B, and Wave....
  8. Tule New Player

DPSing is the hardest. The rest of the roles are pretty basic. Healer needs the most attention, but since all healing moves are OP as long as you aren't literally asleep you should be able to solo heal anything. Try healing in other MMO's you actually have to prioritize members of the group at certain points. You have to target, not just hit an aoe. AOE heals are generally weaker or pull so much hate the boss will come over and splat you.

Trolling is the most demanding, so from a pressure standpoint it might be the hardest, but really it is just a stationary job. Pump power, and debuff. 99% of the time you don't need to CC. You can say you do it "for a challenge", but I could "for a challenge" DPS with my tongue. Doesn't mean DPSing is hard because of it.

DPSing is hardest because a lot of the time your opponent isn't some NPC. It should be. But it isn't. Most of the time you are competing against actual intelligence and not artificial intelligence. So you have to beat a human being's knowledge of a good rotation, positioning, timing, PI awareness, clipping reaction and ability. I wouldn't say DPSing is hard, but it is harder than everything else.
  9. winter13 New Player

It is a common misconception that healing is "easy" because resto is so high. That simply isn't the case. Healing is easier now because most players are overgeared for the content. Being able to run t5 alerts and raids without a healer is the real issue, it's not resto.
    • Like x 1
  10. Tule New Player

Your ellipses and general negative tone to this person's claim is what turned it so f'n negative.
  11. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

As has been pointed out, DPSing is easy if that is all you are doing. If you want it to be hard, pick up people who fall next to you and do what you can to keep the group organized and focused during the raid by setting that example. In PUGs, all damage players tend to do is keep that rotation going with no regard to the group. How many times have people in here run PUGs and seen a damage player keep that rotation going even after you went down within a couple feet of him/her?

Obviously, the above is a generalization. I do sometimes see people do more than damage and help the group in other ways: supply drops or accomplices for a controller/healer/fellow damage player, doing side mission objectives like closing portals in Black Dawn, picking up teammates who are close enough to feel the wind of their weapon, etc. Those people rarely top the score board because other damage players cannot bother to stop doing damage and help, but I have a lot more respect for the damage players who do more than damage during a run. League runs are different because everyone knows each other and hopefully cares about their league-mates enough to do more. PUG damage roles are easier on themselves and harder on the troller/healer/tank roles.
    • Like x 2
  12. HeirToThaThrone Committed Player

Nothing is hard...but if I had to rank it from most "difficult" to least:

DPSing

Tanking, mainly because of counter mechanics
    Non-Nature healing
    Trolling
    Nature healing
  13. Derio 15000 Post Club

DPS is the easiest, next to healing, next to tanking, next to battle healing, next to trolling, next to battle trolling.
  14. Jeazy Baby Dedicated Player

Hard? No. Developing a quantum model for a lithium atom is hard. Finishing a marathon in 3hours is hard. putting out damage in the DCUO video game? no, i would not call that hard.
    • Like x 1
  15. KidMidnight Loyal Player

i have a golden apple for the greatest warrior in all the land.

and anyone who doesn't get it can say they didn't get it because they're just too beast.

knowing how to manipulate the scoreboard to your advantage doesn't make you a good player.
    • Like x 2
  16. zZzTorrOzZz Committed Player

I agree with this list. Trollers simply put have a ton of jobs and concentrations to respond to especially in raids like A&B and Paradox.

1. POT
    2. Instant
    3. Revives
    4 Stuns and other CC (A&B in example)
    5. Tagging (DOX)
    6. Freeing the jailed (DOX)
    7. Shielding
    8. Buffs

Followed closely by Tanking.

Vast amount of jobs as well along with an overall POV and awareness of everything happening within the moment. Self heals when necessary, etc...

Tanking is hardcore, I mean, think of it this way; what is the hardest role to find for a raid?

Enough said with the question.

People (players) normally tend to gravitate toward the easy. There's is a literal boatload of DPS. Again, enough said.
    • Like x 1
  17. IGotYA New Player

Doing enough dps to finish the content in the game isn't hard,
    But if you pug and thats what a lot of people do, you will be in a eternal competition
    agains others dps you might no even know.
    I joined the league im in after doing a couple of dox and nexus with them,
    it was half of pugs only 1 dps from my league was there, the other 2 dps was me and some other pug
    that after 2 runs(nexus and dox) I never saw him again, why? simple he came in the third dps place
    "losing" a by a good margin and since i didnt do so bad i got asked to do more runs.

While trollers/healers/tanks can do the basic of their roles and be fine dps'ers can't
    because if they only do the "basic" and lose they get excluded from future runs.
    If the question "did we finish the raid/alert?" is a yes for controllers/healers/tanks that alone is enough for them
    to not be excluded.
    Dps will have to pass 2 test: "did we finish the raid?" and "Did he do good?"
    and in the end the most importan will be if he did good dps or not,since most people dont even check
    power in or deaths.

There is a competition between every single dpsers, other roles don't have that.
  18. Gottcha Well-Known Player

In Raids there is always another DPS, in alerts or any other content, just do your job.
    How does that make it more difficult than any other role?
    The only thing that is more "difficult" is the fact that you are judged harsher on the scoreboard. If you're not doing your job much better than the support roles you're at the top of the list to get kicked.
  19. Prodigy Progeny Dedicated Player

DPSing makes you sleepy from doing the same rotation??? Trolling is harder???? Trolling is the George Jetson of powers...as in our job only requires hitting a button. Troll rotation - hit pot, hit defense debuff (if boss), weapon attacks clipped w/recharge for next 10-20 secs...rinse & repeat. Not exactly exciting or complicated. I don't even need to watch the screen to keep up the rotation.

[IMG]
  20. Rassophore New Player

^This
    • Like x 1