Trial of Three

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by NeverPayForLag, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Jackr New Member

Accolades to Tucoh and how he is able to box trials and missions. He is very skilled indeed, has dedicated a lot of time and effort into maximizing his group set up and aDPS. However he does not represent most boxers in this game.

I have a decently geared Battleworn and some EoK raid gear tank as a main, and keep 5 group geared toons in full RoS tradeskill conflagrant gear (clr, enc, wiz, wiz, wiz) and usually purchase 6 account expansions every year at expansion time. I have had no problems issues with completing progression tasks in EoK and RoS (except for Hero of Skyfire Mountains, had to do each toon separately). This expansion however already I've encountered roadblocks at Trials of Smoke and Empyr - Palace of Embers. The mechanics with massive AE making it extremely difficult for a single cleric to heal a group through, or a silence at the wrong time, and boss high resistance to wizard spells, or high hit points makes the early content impossible for a boxer to complete.

I figured this is Daybreak's way to tell us we needed to be GOLD to be able to complete progression in this game (free to play, pay to win), so converted all my group geared toons to GOLD status, purchased Tier 2 spells finally, bought raid focused arms for my wizards, raid shoulders for improved mana efficiency, and a raid necklace for improved healing focus for my cleric etc, optimizing for another try, even swapping out my enchanter for a second cleric, and yet again the mechanics with Smoke Trial of 3 is impossibly hard. My second cleric is low mana by the time we reach our second mob, and there is no time to meditate.

I've played this game for 15 years, and have had no issues with EoK or RoS progression with the same group geared characters, so there is NO need for anyone to call out lack of skills. I choose to box because I find it much more fun than waiting around for a good group, so no need for other players to comment on this as well.

My point is THIS expansion is different, and it's horrible. It's not even possible for skilled boxers to get through. In my opinion, Daybreak needs to do several things.
    1. Decrease the ridiculous AE approximately 50% so a SINGLE healer can heal through. It's even too stressful for fully raid geared single cleric to heal though.
    2. Take away the ridiculous Magic Resistance bosses in trials and partisan missions have (not everyone plays a melee or zerker) OR decrease their massive hit points.
    3. Developers need to do these missions themselves in group geared toons, or listen to their players.

I really do love this game, and if changes are not made, you will be losing quite a bit of your base. You've already gotten your expansion money from me, but I certainly will not be subscribing
  2. Whulfgar Augur

Actually.. of you read the posts I was referring to . That's not a presumption at all.. as 1 of the posts directly stated in 1 of these many this is over tuned threads..that they used a box 110 alt pally.. with only auto granted aa to try to tank an heal and they felt this new expansion was over tuned..
  3. Whulfgar Augur

So no assumption made.. but a direct reference to..

And just so ya know.. I play war druid sham ench wiz wiz wiz zer zer zer..
    Only the war is raid geared.

Druid has main healed this very trial many times.. and sammy has done cliffs glory .. neither were over 170k fully raid buffed..

I've already keyed up war sham and druid.. and now I start ench and 3 wiz alts..
  4. Tucoh Augur

[IMG]
    Pirlo, feeltheburn and Whulfgar like this.
  5. took2summit11 Augur

There’s absolutely zero reason for your cleric to be running out of mana after the first mob. I brought a level 108 cleric as our only healer through trial of 3 the other day and we finished with him around 60% mana..it was an entirely group geared group. The only thing I can suggest is that you load a video so we can help you. Your team can beat this, I know it can. Let us help you. We need concrete things to see to offer advice on. My only speculation is that you are absolutely spamming your clerics highest mana spell over and over with reckless abandonment. Would love to be actual help to you, but think you may need to upload a video of you trying it and let us go from there..

EDIT: Wait...does your team have no tank or pet tank? Are you using the ench pet to tank? It may be time for you to drop one of the wiz and build a real tank..
  6. Mr.Danger New Member

After close to 30 attempts. I finally beat this trial last night with a 6 box team.

Team is SK, CLR, BER, BRD, SHM, WIZ

I started out without having a cleric box, originally 5 boxing with a healer merc. The team was in full RoS Conflagrant gear. My SK did not have load of AC/hDex augs and was around 5500 AC when I started the first trial. Around 6200 AC on final win.

Initially I got the first boss down to 70%, then abit more. After around 10 attempts with learning the event and tweaking my social buttons on the different chars I got to the second mob.

It got pretty clear to me that I was not going to beat this just yet. Spent about a week farming type 7 augs for SK from EoK/RoS, tried again a few times, got a little bit further but not much. So I decided to farm Stratos t1 nameds, at least the ones manageable ( of wipes before I got the hang of it). Spent a few days killing Dawnbreezer and Dour Eight and occasionally I swapped an Island just to freshen things up. Eventually my SK had full visible t1 gear from Stratos. My other chars did get a few items here and there aswell, which was not needed by the SK or he already had it.

So I went back to trial, kept failing but getting to the 3rd mob and around 50% health on him. My wizzy would go oom during 2nd boss and the longevity of the 3rd fight without a wizzy kept killing my SK when discs would run out. Then I decided to roll a cleric, if this is the start, will be much more challenging later on was my original thought. Did that, spent the new years xp bonus weekend levelling him to 109 (heroic), bought full Conflagrant gear and went back to trials.

Now, learning a new class I haven`t played before usually takes some time. I have during all the tries used SHM as a healer. First try, SK dies on first mob, did a battle rez to try keep going, but that failed, so evacced with wizzy and started over again. Tweaked the social buttons/macros quite abit on CLR and went again. hit the fan, tank died and most of the crew. Tweaked some more and on the 3rd attempt I finally suceeded. I spent a few hours during these three tries changing cleric stuff around. Ended on around 40% mana on the CLR.

I do use "IS b" and have loads of buttons set up that has worked fairly decent for EoK/RoS, but this was a new challenge. It might have been possible to beat it in the end without rolling a CLR, as my SK gradually got better geared and suited for the content, which I think is the main factor of my success. I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge

Went straight to Empyr after win. Must say I was suprised how much easier nameds/trash are to kill. Will probably spend some time here gearing up the crew before I continue the progression.
    Pirlo and Tucoh like this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Interesting. I've heard druids complaing they cannot heal trials.
    Did you find any trials you could not single heal with druid?

Also interested to hear how you get on with your wizzy box crew. :)
  8. Tucoh Augur

Nice work. What I love most about tough challenges is how much stronger my team is when I beat them. It sounds like you'll be able to take on the rest of the expansion now that you've taken out this mission.
    Pirlo and Daedly like this.
  9. Mintalie Augur

Bravo and well done on your perseverance. That being said, this is the perfect example of why some of the trials are overtuned. With all due respect to DBG and the uber players in-game, I don't think any mission should require 30 attempts. FFS.
  10. Ecchicon Elder

I’m struggling to see how this can possibly be your take-away.

Mr. Danger properly developed his characters, learned how to play them, and boxed the content.

Once again, I cannot say what the intention of the developers is, but let’s just say the complaint is that maybe you think players should be able to 3 box these trials with three mercs (I wouldn’t be surprised if this has already happened, but let’s ignore that). Well if the developers feel differently and they’d like the trial to be something you “need” 6 actual players to complete, I think that is far from “overtuned.”
  11. Mintalie Augur

You have your take away, I have mine. No matter how many of the upper echelon continue screaming that the content is tuned fine as-is, I disagree from personal experience. And yes, I've done these missions multiple times, sometimes with the very best, sometimes with casuals, with varying results, and without any bots or mercs.
    Dyna and Zhaunil_AB like this.
  12. kookoo Augur

no one asking all trials being able to be 3box , but what a dumb decision from db, we need to have one trial on lock to be able to go to the next flagged zone , so you need to kill one every 2,5 days or so. just to have a lock on one trail, LOL o_O.

if DB want to keep having a lock on trial to be able to zone in empyr, why not make trial of three ( or other another trial to be easier with reduced loots { btw I boxed twice the trial of three and was not too bad ( 5 box , no is_boxer ). I just hate to have to be forced to do it every 2,5 days...........

I do have a shm and druid to help on heals , when merc healer struggling on heals,
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.
  13. Riou EQResource

If you can get to Aalishai you can get someone to request Strange Magic, beat that to get the port click and just port past it via the Aalishai port on it (you can click back to Empyr)

Additionally if you buy a task add to Strange Magic, a fellowship slot port to Aalishai and Mearatas, you can port (and zone over) to every zone in the expansion :p

The Mearatas<->Esianti zone doesn't seem to check anything to zone over, Aalishai->Empyr should work after 1 trial or might not even check that, tho it checks for Empyr->Aalishai

Also Trial of 3 is prob the 2nd to hardest Trial, only Ashes is harder
  14. Spellfire Augur

I think some trials should be doable with 2 or 3. Not everyone rolls with sk/clr/brd/3xzerker boxed group while using 3rd party software (no offense to people who do, different strokes for different folks etc).

People with a couple alts should have something available to them as well. Asking for one or two Trials to be doable with less is not unreasonable imo.
    Dyna and Mintalie like this.
  15. kookoo Augur

thanks I will check that.
  16. Gundolin Augur

To be fair, with a group of 5 or 6 real players non boxed, it won't take most any where near 30 attempts to clear these trials. The mechanics are a bit tricky but after you understand them they aren't that hard.
  17. Tucoh Augur

The amphitheater trial is the easiest one to 3box. No reason a RoS-geared tank + healer + whatever class being properly three boxed (with or without third party software) can't do it. Could probably do it three-boxed with a pet tank as well.
  18. Spellfire Augur

I will attempt this with a mage pet and see how it goes.
  19. took2summit11 Augur

I personally think wending ways is the easiest gear-check trial. It may take a while, but it’s pretty simple 4 mob tank n spank. I think amphitheater with 3 + 3 mercs could be rough after the first mini killed and you have to fight the 6 adds. I don’t think they’d have the dps to stay ahead and would likely get overrun with 4 adds at some point.

Cyclone is the least heal/tank intensive trial of them all. Your tank just needs to be able to tank 1 yellow con at a time. Also pro tip: you can set up everyone before you start the mission. When I do this is have the casters/ranged dps up in the tree in the back, the tank is at the rock at the base of the tree. The ranged dps can dps both the adds and the named from the tree. If you have 2 decent ranged dps, Cyclone becomes very easy. My paladin can tank this mission with 1 healer merc with my eyes closed.

EDIT: I’ve tanked 4 of the 5 (all except ash) trials with my (somewhat badly) group geared paladin and 1 healer merc with no other real healers.
  20. Qbert Gallifreyan

Your mileage may vary of course. Wending Ways and Three are easy for me, but I can't beat the other three at present. And Strange Magic is a bugger that I can't beat yet :p