Why is the FPS still an issue? Little to no improvement has been made in 4 months.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Paisho, Mar 18, 2013.

1. RaZz0R

utter noise!

The games made for Nvidia cards! Stop thinking an older 5870 card can cut it with this NEW graphics engine.
    My sig also shows my upgrades.
  2. RaZz0R

Seriously have to admit it - get a GTX 660ti from gigabyte and the OC version - GTX 680 speed for alot less!

Get a faster CPU as well - not more cores - just clocked faster. Those were the two biggest upgrades that made a massive differance to the FPS.
  3. XRIST0

Game works prefectly fine on amd cards mate ..

Cpu is what counts in this game .
  4. Acceleratio

I must say after the last small update my FPS are good again like with GU3 even a little bit better. Whatever they fixed it helped - at least me.
    • Up x 1
  5. powerz

it's a directx 9 game.......it can not utilize multicore CPU's properly or handle multithreading, the backbone of the entire game is it's bottleneck...........you will never ever ever get fluid frame rates in tech plant fire fight at HD resolutions, period. You either accept gaming at 40 fps and less during heavy firefight or find a new game because you will never see some dramatic increase in FPS with any patch; these limitations will never be overcome on a directx 9 engine.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2006/05/01/directx_10_future_gaming/2#.UUmS-RyPO5g

"One of the biggest limitations is API object overhead. In fact game content developers are currently being bottlenecked by this overhead. Out of all the improvements that could be pushed into DirectX 10, the issue at the top of the list for most game developers was to lessen API object overhead.

What we mean by API object overhead is that the API is using CPU cycles to achieve tasks necessary for rendering before being output to the video card for drawing. When rendering a game, the application first has to call to the API and then the API calls to the driver before it ever interacts with your video card’s GPU. These calls are all handled by the CPU, using valuable resources and creating a potential bottleneck.

"

no it was not; quit the opposite................the problem is the base engine of the game is so old, it cant utilize multicore cpus because they didn't exist when it was written, it's that old.
    • Up x 1
  6. LordMondando

No the game was made for Physx. Which Nvidia recently caved in on, and let AMD use in full. I believe we are just waiting on them getting their with the drivers.

And again, unless you actually going to cite actual relevant features and architecture in terms of hardware but also software that make it age relevant. Whatevers.

Good for you pookums.
  7. RaZz0R

heh - learn something new all the time.

I stand corrected - got a linky for that info??
  8. LordMondando

Heres some initial stuffz.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gamin...ffer-physx-support-on-amd-powered-ps4-1136063

Its fairly recent stuff, but its not some magical thing only Nvidia cards are capable of doing in terms of their hardware architecture. Its simply that AMD had no access to the code for it and would have been copyright and patent laws if they did publish drivers that allowed AMD cards to use it properly.

Thats over now.
  9. Stadulator

I'm one of those odd people that has never had an FPS issue and the game keeps running better every time. I noticed no server/game breaking issues after GU4, and after this last fix the game is even smoother.

Keep up the good work SOE! I've given you guys money for your games since 1999 and this game will keep getting better, earning more of my loyalty
  10. TestyVenom

I never said it would solve the problems entirely for everyone, but it would help improve performance. Also, providing an option to run in DX9 or DX11 (if DX11 were to be used) may help users find the right settings for themselves. Making use of more memory may also help in overall performance.
  11. MittRackRObama

To answer your question #1 yes I understand how multithreading works.

To answer your question #2 as much as DX10 was a marketing ploy as per stated by the tin foil hat wearers, it also paved the way for a lot of a great optimization features later to be seen in Windows Vista and Windows 7 as well as on console games. Companies are able to do things faster, with better use of hardware because of DX10 and DX11. That is all I was approaching as far as my single point I wanted to get across.

Yes I will stand by the fact DX10 and DX11 will be much easier to develop new content for, and how it will make it much easier to make use of newer hardware not properly made use of at this moment.
  12. IceShades

this.
    How stupid of them to release a game that is all about big numbers with a primitive engine like this... in Q4 2012...