Why haven't coyotes been adjusted yet?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by badname123, Jun 11, 2014.

1. badname123

Coyotes are ridiculous if you get attacked first you have little chance of survival. most of the time your only option is to run but not everyone has fuel tanks and racer on. They're to help new pilots? what happens if a good pilot uses them? unstoppable that's what.

I can't believe they would release a weapon like this without proper balancing. what is it going to take ? how many good pilots will leave before they are balanced out ? how many have left?

Who is in charge of weapon balance? YOU'RE FIRED!
  2. SSRemly

I love coyotes
    • Up x 3
  3. Leftconsin

I've shot down ESFs piloted by people a lot better and a lot worse than me with Coyotes.

I actually will say: Coyotes made the air game more accessible to me while I learned the ropes of the nose gun.
    • Up x 3
  4. FigM

Or in other words - lowered the skill ceiling. So there's less room for self improvement, less competitive gameplay, more casual gameplay
  5. Leftconsin

Well.. yeah. How else do you bridge the gap between career fliers and people who are trying to get into it?
  6. Kunavi

No, in other words you don't get to roam and farm as you please, only engaging in nearly consensual Air Chav jousts, living in a separate bubble. People may challenge you now, that's what it means. And you will be less annoying to people actually trying HARD to learn the ropes of ESFs.

Only it's not the case. Coyotes are just a small nuisance. We're not at this point where all parts of PS2 are accessible(Not easy, not casual, ACCESSIBLE).

If Coyotes were the equivalent of ShotGuns or MAX suits then I'd agree it's gone too far.
    • Up x 1
  7. MostlyClueless

Pilots want new players to have an easier time getting into flying so they've more people to shoot. But they hate anything that lowers the skill ceiling, which is the thing stopping new players having an easier time getting into flying.

That they don't realize the obvious contradiction in these two opinions amuses me endlessly.
    • Up x 5
  8. BR100

Coyotes are fine, but they deserve nerf in ammo reserve, with maxed ammo u can carry 100+ missiles if i'm correct.
  9. Azarga

Can't check ingame right now, but I'm sure I have higher accuracy with nosegun than with Coyotes, I rarely even hit anything with them, turrets aside. Not sure where is this legendary insane-lock-on-coyotes-killed-me-from-different-continent accuracy everyone is so mad about.

inb4: they only lock on to aircraft - IKR
  10. FigM

The proper way to help new players get into air game is to make it easier for new players to spawn air.

This game does exact opposite - it's harder to spawn new air as new player than as old player.
    On top of that, new player has weaker aircraft than old player.

If veteran players can spawn air every 5 minutes, new players should be able to spawn every 2 minutes
    • Up x 2
  11. MostlyClueless

The proper way to help new players get into the air game is make flying less reliant on maneuvers that new players have no chance of pulling off and making it more intuitive. The reverse maneuver and other weird flight physics are what keeps them out. No one has difficulty driving a tank but I've met plenty of people who had no clue how the hell they're meant to turn an ESF. Heck it took a while for me to work out, I was using the A and D keys. Flying is weird and what really needs to be changed, the flight controls and physics, is what pilots will absolutely freak out about if ever touched.
    • Up x 1
  12. FigM

No, removing highly competitive elements from the game is not the answer for 1 simple reason - casual gameplay with low skill caps gets boring fast.

If SOE wants to retain players and build strong community, they need to keep at least parts of this game highly competitive
    This game offers plenty of alternative playstyles for those who are new and do not wish to attempt high skill activities - most of the infantry gameplay does just that.

But those players who do wish to train and become really good at something, to fill rewarded for their long hours of training, to feel the thrill of fighting other high skill players and winning - those players do not wish to lower the skill ceiling, they just wish for more training time. That's where reducing spawn timers comes in
    • Up x 3
  13. Cindil

The unique flight model is the very thing that makes flying in Planetside 2 so interesting and fun.

I can't understand how people will play this game for hundreds of hours and not spend just a couple of them in VR or with an experienced partner learning how to pilot an ESF.

What the hell ever happened to learning how to play a game?
    • Up x 1
  14. MostlyClueless

You can't have both. Either the air game is simple enough to get into that new players can enjoy it, or it isn't. Saying that SOE needs to get new players into the air game but can't change anything that'd actually do that is why the air game has gotten so stale.
  15. MostlyClueless

Because most people try flying, have no clue how it works, crash and explode and then go "**** that, I'll stick to Infantry and Tanks"

You may WANT them to spend a few hours in VR learning how to fly, but they don't. They play the game casually and learning how to fly isn't fun for them, it's frustrating.
  16. vsae

Before the coyotes I used to fly alot and improve in dogfighting, i was above mediocre pilot.
    Now however, the air is so zergy and coyote-ganky, it has no place for a lone pilot. Whenever you find another lone esf, it is:
    a) AI with fuel tanks
    b) Tomcat with AI
    c) default nosegun + coyotes, and they dont even use the nosgun. Just wild coyote spam and miss with nosegun.
    d) somewhat rare even fights.

But soe can keep up with the crutches, it is really making game accessible for casual dummies. Nobody cares for dedicated players nowadays.
    • Up x 1
  17. Collin

Ohh well i do think coyotes are in a right spot. You do have a problem if you run rocketpods and being attacked by coyotes then you are done. With AB just afterburn away turn around and finish him. Just NEVER EVER go into a hoverfight with a coyotepilot.

Tomcats are the other way around you need to hug them and make a sambadance with them and they just fall of the sky.

Sure you will loose sometimes but well its a game.
  18. Cinnamon

My advice for pilots who complain about coyotes so much is to go play a game in a way where you are playing mostly people of equal skill and not expecting to mostly pup stomp unskilled opponents. Get some perspective and have some fun.
  19. Grayson

But when they "get into flying" (which is unlikely, because all they learn is how to lolspam the coyote) what will make them put down their beloved, coyotes?
    Well?...Nothing, and here is the problem. Even veteran players are using it, because it basically takes no effort to get kills with it.
  20. MostlyClueless

My point was Coyotes have nothing to do with it. They don't get in new players, because the issue with people learning to fly is the control and physics are not easy to grasp. Coyotes help a bit with the difficulty many have with getting the reticule on target in the first place but the problem isn't the weapons, it's the planes.

Until flying is made easier, Coyote and Lockons will be popular. If it was easier to get your aircraft facing the way you want (And not have people who know what they're doing dance circles around you) people would get into noseguns more for the TTK advantage.