Why do you play HA?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Oathblivion, May 10, 2013.

1. Oathblivion

I've noticed a trend in PS2 that it took me until last night to really believe as more than coincidence: everyone and their sister plays HA. I could probably count on my fingers (and maybe a couple toes) the amount of other classes I was killed by in my session last night. HA is the overwhelming majority. However, that could just be because HA is better at killing than a Medic, Infiltrator, or wimpy smg-using LA. It goes deeper than that. What really kicked this off is that most of my revives were HAs as well. Even one of the pilots I killed was HA.

So, I'm not whining at all. I'm simply very curious as to why this class seems so incredibly popular. No skin off your backs, HA mains, but I find the class utterly boring, which only adds to my puzzlement. Is it the direct combat capabilities? Is it the versatility in carrying a high capacity AI weapon along with an AV rawket lawn chair?

Anyways, please share your stories, rationale, etc., etc. Thanks.
  2. DCWarHound

Prob versatility and survivability,nothing as menacing as a squad of HA's.

They can tank damage.
    Have weapons with decent damage
    Large clip sizes
    Anti-Infantry,Anti-Air and Anti-Ground weapons

It's all you need in a killing machine.
  3. lilleAllan

LMG's
    Rocket launchers
    Shields
  4. MorganM

Only reason I play a TR heavy is the Striker....period.

For everything else there's the engineer.
  5. Ghosty11

The HA is basically the grunt of PS2. They are your front line standard infantry, all the other classes I would consider specialized or support classes.
    • Up x 2
  6. Captainkev$$

Because nothing in the game is more satisfying than shooting down an ESF with a Phoenix :)
    • Up x 1
  7. pnkdth

Because I have to.
  8. Jean Parisot

It's a class that get's things done.

I have an excellently cert'd infiltrator which is fun to play, but...

- When a control point needs to be pushed up to and captured, I turn to my HA;
    - When a vehicle just has to go down, I turn to my HA;
    - When enemy air is getting cocky and they need to feel a bite in their ***, I turn to my HA;

Toe to toe this class can look down all other classes. Only the MAX gives me pause.
    • Up x 2
  9. Flashtirade

Although it doesn't carry much in the way of tools, it's one of the most useful classes in the game.
    Great at killing infantry.
    Decent at killing vehicles.
    Can interact with objectives.
  10. Mekhazzio

When you need 6 HAs just to be rid of one idiot in an enemy tank, you're bound to get a lot of people playing HA.

I would LIKE to play other classes more often, I just don't feel like that choice is available except in biolabs.
  11. eldarfalcongravtank

primarily because i am kinda defenseless as an engineer/magrider tanker against those pesky ESFs. that's why i switch to HA, pull out my nemesis, lock onto these basterds and either scare them away or manage to shoot them down
  12. Mefi

HA has AV/AA capabilities.

Personally, I prefer Engineer or Medic because they're better classes to support my team. If I could use RL with them then HA would be a completely useless class for me.

Edit: Almost forgot about the Lasher... Well, I almost don't use it anymore, so my statement is mostly correct.
  13. Casterbridge

Pretty much my thoughts.

Not that the other classes aren't important/useful etc, you need to have the other classes present but HAs are the ones you want first in line acting as a wall for the medics and engineers and the distraction for the Infiltrators and LA.
  14. KnightCole

Because I like Machineguns, the HA has a shield, its a rather survivable class and it has Rockets for hard targets.

Whats not to love?

Hell, even when I try to play medic or something, I find myself picking an HA for various reasons, usually the rocket to shoot tanks.
  15. BH Brigade

Because it's the only class that can kill someone if they get the drop on you. If someone shoots you in the back as another class, unless there's lots of convenient cover around you're probably gonna die, as a heavy pop the shield and turn on them, by the time they're in your sights you will be out of shield but stil have full health.
  16. LibertyRevolution

↑ This

Basically it is OP at killing things... So why run any other class if your out to kill things.
  17. Ruar

Because I want to kill vehicles and HA gives me the rocket launcher. Infiltrator is a better option if I just want to kill people, engineer is better for vehicles if I enjoyed static turrets, medic has better infantry weapons, LA is much better at killing infantry due to manuever and weapons, and MAX is better for killing anything if you mount the right weapons.

However, no other class gives me the mobility, range, and versatility that HA does for killing vehicles. Engineers have to stay put with turrets or use lame mines. MAX can only effectively engage air or ground at one time and are very slow. Medics can't do squat against vehicles. Infiltrators can use C4 but I hate trying to play sneak around. LA have C4 but I want to engage vehicles in all terrain and not just when I can fly on top of them.

So that leaves me with HA.

If there were no vehicles in the game to shoot at I'd probably use infil and snipe like I did most of the time in BF series, but there are too many vehicles in PS2 to play that style. So I hunt the vehicles instead.
  18. firebos7

I tend to gravitate towards the anti armor class or medic normally. At the time, Heavy Assault seemed like the best choice for that (anti armor).

In BF1942 for example I spent 90% of the time as Anti Tank
  19. Kastrenzo

+Basic run around and shoot stuff class.
    +Soldiers look like actual soldiers.
    +Physically tougher with NMG Shield
    +More firepower with rockets and LMGs

that being said, Assault rifles are Medic only. Heavy Assault has few options when it comes to accuracy at medium-long range. Battle rifles are a bad joke, SOE told us they were improved, and all that was really done was another 100 cert item was added to make us think it was better.

In the Planetside Universe Machine guns have basically become the standard service rifle, not actual ARs.

And honestley, sometimes I don't like being expected to deal with vehicles. Sometimes I just want to run around and shoot soldiers.
  20. insane2170