Why are TR so, "It isn't me/us, it's you" attitude?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fredfred, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Zotamedu

Are you new here? Have you not seen the endless defence of the obviously OP pre-nerf scatMAX and phoenix? How about the old magrider and the first version of ZOE?
    • Up x 2
  2. Slandebande

In which cases are the kills reaching 3 times as many as for the other factions, where the amount of users in the lower scoring factions actually statistically representative? I'm curious, as it is not something I can recall. Note, I'm of course talking Kpu, not kills overall, as that is a dumb and one-dimensional way to look at it.
    In most cases the differences are less than 100%, e.g. usually only around 20%. Numbers going into that category, is where we need the additional data to notice any representative differences, instead of just using kills.

An example of the data you could show: Recent data even shows VS and NC infantry weapons leading overall, same with the AI MAXes (granted, some of our MAXes are using Fractures, but your AI is still out-killing our AI). None of them are out-killing the others with a factor of 3. Neither is the Striker nor the Vulcan (the figures I can remember off the top of my head).
  3. Zazen

"Quantity has a quality all it's own" is the reason.

When you consistently out-pop everyone else it presents the subjective illusion that you and your mates are more organized and just superior in every way. Conversely, if you are always out-popped it "feels" like your team are often a troop of clueless baboons. It's easy to understand the confusion, but when you dissect engagements you see why this is so.

For the purpose of illustration, let's use the ability of Situational Awareness, which is widely considered a hallmark trait indicative of a "skilled" player in FPS games. For those that don't know the definition, SA is basically a person's ability to be aware of his surroundings, his enemies & friendlies and use that information to conduct threat assessments that facilitate prudent positioning and target acquisition.

Well, if my team outnumbers the other team and we're all starving for kills, we will all be scouring the battlefield, having the innate initiative derived by numbers to take full advantage of our SA.

On the hand, if my team is outnumbered, there is a greater chance those individual players' SA is overloaded. Even if it's not overloaded, the defensive players rarely have the tactical initiative to take full advantage of SA.

The net result is a dichotomy of the hunters & the hunted. The hunters will always seem to have their poop together and the hunted will always seem to be hapless victims. This phenomena is the main reason most FPS games don't allow numerical disparity, they're all 24 vs 24 or 32 vs 32, etc., matches. If PS2 gets the game's factions balanced enough to be MLG, it will have the same set-up.

Obviously, the day to day engagements in the real PS2 world have no such restrictions. So, in PS2, numerical advantage has an ENORMOUS force multiplication effect that greatly influences individuals' subjective perception of how "good" or "bad" their team is in general.
    • Up x 3
  4. OblongQuake

Were... were we playing the same game? I seem to recall after the flinch nerf the forums were pretty much "PHOENIX OP, SCATMAX OP, GodSAW OP, omg SoE plays NC!"

While the majority of the NC (like TR now, like VS in the heyday of the magmower) sat there saying "No, you guys suck. You simply have to make sure you don't engage Scatmaxes at close range. Also, reaver buffs plox (despite it having all teh damage, easiest reverse thrust, highest AB speed, etc (One or more of those may have come later, the point stands))."

No-one has ever been considered 'mature and dedicated' as a faction. The majority of the playerbase of every faction consists of entitled twerps and anyone who's been playing from beta or before can attest that the same topics and responses have always been at the top of the forums, and that the faction simply changes. In fact, if anyone it's typically the VS who get cast in the best light, since the ZoE max has been like the first properly powerful bit of kit they've had since the Magmower dominance waaay back when.
    • Up x 1
  5. Xasapis

To be fair, the reversal of pretty much all changes on the magrider as time passed by, is indicative that those people claiming that the mag was fine, were indeed right. All it took was some parameters of the other MBTs to achieve balance.

The same is true for the NC MAX, so don't be surprised if you see reversals of changes made to it.
  6. OblongQuake

Perhaps, but I'd counter that the reversals were balanced once there was a whole extra slew of long range AV options available to non-tankers. Well, the engy AV turret and the striker, but y'know. State of the game had changed. I also think it's quite hard to account for the psychological affects of something being popular - lots of people using the magmower, scatmax, striker, vulcan phoenix, zoe, whatever, doesn't necessarily mean it's OP but you will sure as **** keep getting killed by it because a lot of people are using it enough to learn it well. It's a tricky one, and frankly I don't envy anyone who's gotta balance it.
  7. MaCritz

8. Earthman

The "TR ARE OP NERF THEM" thing is becoming a meme. Like most memes, it's losing its context and even its viability by dumb, blind repetition. "OMG WHY ARE STRIKERS NOT NERFED YET" totally ignores the very real nerfs they already received, for example.

It's especially sad on Connery, which at most hours is actually Vanu-dominated, yet even while overrunning a facility with sheer numbers the /yell channel still has this "cake is a lie lol" level of ignorant repetition of how "OP" we TR are while being warpgated or near-warpgated.

It's very sad.
    • Up x 1
  9. aRottenKomquat

The funny thing is everyone always calls for nerfs on the TR's bad weapons, such as the Striker. Try using a Striker sometime! Waiting for lock, waiting for lock, waiting for lock, lock! Oops, you just got headshot by an NC sniper. No missile for you.

Respawn, pull out Striker. Locking, locking, locking, lock! Fire missile! Reaver uses flare, missile goes full-****** and flies off randomly! You attempt to re-lock but an NC sniper shoots you in the face first.

Respawn, pull out Striker. Locking, locking, locking, lock achieved! Fire! Enemy LA shoots you and you de-scope. Missile goes full-****** and flies of randomly. You take cover and start to lock again. Locking, locking, locking, lock achieved! Fire! Reaver approaches tree and missile mistakes tree for Reaver and misses. NC sniper shoots you in the face while maintaining the lock.

Obviously I'm exaggerating for humorous effect, but the truth is I rarely actually get a kill with the Striker. The only thing it's good for is scaring the crap out of pilots with the locks. The actual missiles are worthless.
  10. Scudmungus

Why are some posters so, ''This is important Guys, I'm contributing an opinion!1' attitude?
  11. Earthman

Why are you standing on a soapbox and proclaiming piously that other people are standing on soapboxes?
  12. Scudmungus

Still butt-hurt! :D

I LOVE MY SOAP BOX!

Now that that's answered - what about my question?

-.o Serious hmmmm
  13. Earthman

Check your definition of "butt hurt", for one thing.

Second, again, you are trying to score points with yourself for calling people out on self-importance, while being self-important with your very intention on calling them out. It's a forum. People will talk about stuff.

Third, your question is a Fox News styled bogus question. "Why does X hate America" is the same kind of so-called question that's only designed to elicit agreement with your opinion.
  14. Scudmungus

I love being me! :D

..and, "This is important Guys, I'm contributing an opion!1" is more.. about a flavour. I shall define* is as hmm..

..waffle.

Much like this post, and yours!

Aren't we awesome?! :)
  15. pnkdth

It was the same when VS/NC had pop/gear on their side. NC/VS were all like "OMG, we're awesome. L2P TR" and TR was like "nah, you OP, man." Some kind of nerfs/buffs are bound to happend, just how balancing is done in MMOs. Hopefully, they won't be as extreme as previously though because where TR are considered OP it isn't by much. Only small tweaks and tuning.
  16. Earthman

Ah, a "lol random" statement. And you didn't just choose a truly random food item, you chose a waffle because it's only second to bacon, cake and cookies for online popularity.

I guess you're trying a smiley-ridden thread derailing attempt.

I'll politely let you post whatever little meme you can conjure up from your favorite message boards and let everyone else resume discussion.
  17. Earthman

By definition, the TR were supposed to have the high rate of fire high magazine weapons, from PS1 onward.

For some people, those very features automatically make the TR worthy of contempt. This is mostly from the "if its not a sniper rifle it takes no skill and if it takes no skill it should be banned from the game" types.
  18. IamDH

Seems like someone lost his soapbox
  19. pnkdth

They do have the vast majority of high ROF weapons, out of the top 25 ROF weapons(750RPM and higher) 14 are TR weapons, while most VS/NC weapons around 600-698. But I think you are right, the high ROF and big magazines are probably the most obvious main strength which it is easy to pick on.

However, the factions traits seem to be more like guidelines in this game. I mean, just look at the TMG-50, SABR-13, T5 AMC. The latter is pretty much a VS weapon in every way. The former two are weapons you'd expect to see with the NC. There differences seem to be more subtle and represented more in the mechanics of the weapons rather than damage/ROF/velocity.
  20. Scudmungus

I totally agree!

Thank you.

As always, your assumptions are correct!