Where LA should be headed...

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Ghostloadout, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Quack

I don't understand why people think that LA is useless or anything like that. Yes, there are things that are obviously broken with it that do need to be fixed(bugs) and there are situations that are challenging to play as LA in, but I do not believe that there is anything that needs to be added to it.

The problem with LA is that it is not the typical "hold the line" kind of class. It doesn't have a utility similar to medic or engineer because it already has two of its own. Its first utility is its jetpack and its second is the way that the player uses it. When the utilization of the jetpack is poor then of course the class is going to seem bad. I see one common thing that LAs do that really does not do the class justice. I see a lot of LA that just use the jetpack to get on rooftops to camp up there. If that is the way that the class is going to be played then of course it is going to seem like it is completely useless, because when it is played that way, it is.

LA is all about battlefield awareness, coming up with plans to get things done and thinking of creative ways that the player can be of benefit in the current situation. Its easy to say that we are not as useful as something like engineer, which has defined and easy parameters as how to be useful. The usefulness of LA is not defined and it requires the player to ask "what can I do to be a benefit to the team?" and if the player has no idea what they are doing then they are going to have a tough time.

You are given your tools, it is up to you to utilize them in a beneficial way.
    • Up x 1
  2. Hosp

Once you unlock C4, the class becomes plenty useful. Sure, they're going to add more toys, but it's already very useful as is.
  3. nameloC

Sorry, but this argument is ridiculous.

If you feel that the LA needs major changes then you are not using him correctly and should consider switching classes. I play LA 95% of the time and typically have a kdr of ~2. I am not saying that KDR is everything, but it is a good indication of effectiveness. The light assault is unique in that they have the ability to get to areas that no other units can get to. If you are not on rooftops/trees/cliffs/ledges/(insert any area off the ground here) then you are playing the class completely wrong. Your main focus should be attacking the enemy from the direction they least expect it. Add to the fact that you can use C4 and the light assault almost seems overpowered. I can't tell you how many times I have hovered over a MAX/tank and destroyed them instantly.

If you want the light assault to be more like the heavy assault; go play as a heavy assault.
  4. FritoBandito

I think all we really need is for c4 to be able to destroy vehicles better. 2 c4 should take out a sunderer or heavy tank. 1 c4 for a lightning. Other than that, we have every tool we need. I don't think the LA is useless at all and it is just being used wrong. You don't launch a frontal assault, you are more of an infiltrator than the infiltrator.
  5. Boroming

IMHO the LA should become the alternative to HA for AV. for doing so we need Utility Pouch ( Suit Slot that allow you to bring up to 4 c4) like the eng. The cost is enormous...
    Add Icarus JJ and you are done.
  6. Blackpython

That right there is exactly what is wrong with the Light Assault currently, in my opinion. Light Assault should not be an Anti-Vehicle class. While I believe they should be allowed to keep C4, it should be a tool for destroying base defenses, consoles, laying traps for infantry, etc. I find it ridiculous for a class that can FLY to be the bane to ALL armour in the game. Currently I've seen more LA suicide rushes that slaughter armour as well as defeat Sunderer's without any real coordinated teamwork. (i.e. 1 LA sneaks past a few hostile troops, flies over a sunderer, drops their C4, runs, mission complete. No one else needed, Lone Wolf Status complete.) There is a reason we have Heavy Assaults and Engineers. HA's are to kill armour and put down large volumes of fire onto enemy positions, engineers do the area denial against armour. A light assault should be able to trump those two classes at the anti-vehicular jobs.

In my opinion, Light Assault should be one of the primary assault classes during a facility siege. Their mobility is unmatched and the availability to breaching equipment (Smoke (UGL or Thrown) & Flashbang) isn't found so prolific in other classes. Give them an Assault rifle and they'll do their job even better. Yes I know smoke has issues with people having settings turned down, but it still gives an advantage when it blocks a doorway (not everyone has a crap computer and has to turn down their settings, so the tactic is still viable). One of my theoretical tactics I've come up with is for assaulting Tech Plants. Have a light assault fire a UGL Smoke into the back doorway and follow up with a flashbang. An infiltrator should be ready with an EMP grenade and should knock out the defensive force's shields as well as a few HUDs. Follow in with a MAX or HA rush as well as the LA's trying to cause havoc on the rear of the defense, you should have no trouble getting in. On the note of the EMP grenade part of the tactic, this knocks out HUDs if you're too close to the grenade. After being hit with a flash bang you will not be able to quickly tell friend from foe and the enemy has a chance of taking out a few of their own on the inside.

Anyways, I've kind of gone off topic at the end of my post so I'll just end it here.
    • Up x 1
  7. Rasttlin

2 things I'd love to see added to the LA...

The ability to pull a buddy along on limited jumps. Perhaps limit this to infiltrators and medics...

Binoculars to scout out targets and call in fire from yet-to-be-released indirect fire weapons. Think Engineers with mortars or Tanks firing at high elevations firing blind normally or using LA as spotters with much increased accuracy.

Neither of these would actually give any direct benefit to the LA but would be a huge help to the squad.
    • Up x 2
  8. Dytch

Fair enough, but for 30 cert points I can do a lot more with my class, such as buy a new scope, which does infinitely more for me than 8% more run speed while I sprint. Although to be honest, if it's just 8% when I sprint...then imo it is broken, because nobody in their right mind is going to take that as a suit slot when you can get more HP or shield cap, as you said above. For 30 points it's not worth it to be honest, as you said it should have ranks. In the words of my father "thats about as worthless as **** on a boar hog" (we're a little country...and hey thats okay lol) It needs to be at least 15% "atleast" and even then it would be tough to choose between more Flash Grenades or shield cap.
  9. Dytch

Thats a really interesting idea, I like the call support fire thing. heck even marking a target for support fire, maybe a HUGE beacon Lib pilots can see and take their people over to rain some destruction on the targets, and each kill awards you an assist. It's a neat idea on paper, not sure it would work in game or be too OP for XP gains but these ideas sound interesting and cool. Good job. =)
  10. badname02

Use the jetpacks... In bases: awesome. In biolabs: NEEDED. In amp stations: fly up to towers, toss that nade, jump off again and land safely due to jetpack. Don't just GO FOR DAH KILLZAHH!!! If you're noticed: turn around, jump off, fly around the corner and wait a second. Pop back in because they've forgotten you in the chaos and take out those heavies\medics from behind.

Seriously I love LA and as long as you don't use it on open ground (unless to take out snipers on those damn rocks, which is easy as hell usually) you're pretty much good to go.

We Do need some ''basic'' utility next to our mobility though. Since C4 and special nades are all CERT based.
    • Up x 2
  11. Wily

I feel the guys that are saying we need more are undervaluing the mobility that jetpack gives us when it comes on group on group fights. I suck, but I know for a fact my jetpack has put me in the right place at the right time on more than one occasion to take out a group of enemies that were halting a friendly advance.

It's sort of a lone wolf playstyle, but you can support your side's advance in ways that are impossible with any other class due to the mobility. As stated earlier in the thread, you can flank and harry them from the sides/above, and while their attention is split your ground pounding buddies can take advantage of their split attention to move up/change angles and put more fire on them.

I agree there's an issue with our xp/hour, but in terms of pure buildling to building infantry fighting, I just feel they're the best tool for the job.
  12. Shizzerk

The Light Assault is definitely not underpowered, it's ability to 'lone wolf' surpasses any class in the game with it's ability to move in and out of combat with ease. The only thing I'd like is the class actually having a tool or something to fill the tool slot. Maybe like a beacon to tag on enemy armored targets and it would highlight it on friendly HUDs in a certain range for X amount of time. That way it gives friendlies a target to focus on. It would be an alternative to using your C4 to take out a single tank or attempt to take out a Sunderer, simply run to the tank tag it and use your C4 on something else. Then when then tank gets killed by a friendly you get some kind of tagging XP bonus.

Other than that I play the light assault all the time unless I'm driving a tank or flying. I find myself with the ability to jetpack, I easily get behind the enemy then take out the enemy squad that is holding the front line from advancing. I have blown up and gunned down entire squads before dying, causing chaos and making the enemy panic as their generator, they thought was safe, is suddenly compromised and about to blow. While fighting enemies head on isn't entirely effective, having the ability to jump over them and forcing them to do a 180 to try to find where the **** you went has put me on top of 90% of any face to face confrontation. The biggest issue I see with other light assaults is that they don't use their heads, they just run face first into combat without thinking about the multitudes of angles they can take advantage of with the jetpack.
  13. Wily

That could be it too. If you play it like an HA, of course you'd be better off with an HA with the more powerful weaponry and shields.
  14. PaintedDeathAW

If the LA is able to trump HA as anti-vehicle, then why does my outfit leader constantly insist that I switch from LA to HA when we are fighting vehicles?

Also, to successfully take down a sunderer with C4, its going to cost you 200 infantry resources. That's 2 MAX suits. That's the cost of a ESF. I do not think throwing down 200 resources to take down a sunderer isn't asking to much in any way. No to mention that difficult task of actually GETTING to the vehicle to take it down. Lets not mention hoping the vehicle doesn't drive off just as you go to throw the C4, causing you to miss the target and dropping 100 resources right on the ground for no damn good reason.
  15. YouObviouslyLikeOwls

What do we need? Moar jet packs. The answer is always Jet Packs. I want to start on the gound outside the Biolab, hit my jets, reach the top of the dome, slip in the vent shafts, cause chaos, ??????, profit.

Seriously, we are a strong class as is, people just want us to be stronger. I can't fault them for that, but what the majority are asking for are things that help us fill roles the other classes fill. We are Light Assault, we shouldn't be hitting the tanks. We should be sneaking in a window, jetting down, and taking out the tank spawn terminal so when our engys/heavies/tanks destroy theirs, they can't get anymore.

Someone in another thread called us the "Special Forces" of the game and that is basically correct. We are quick, mobile, able to hit hard, and get out again before the fire concentrates on us. Surgical strikes not frontal assaults. We are not "Lone Wolves" and can't take a base on our own. I mean, I understand, I really do. LA is pretty much all I play and I want to see her buffed as well, but please stop asking for stuff to make us god mode.
  16. Takoita

About the decoy grenade suggestion somewhere up above: think Supreme Commander type of decoys on radar. Wouldn't give to LA though.
  17. Maxi'sProteinPowder

Im happy for them to fix my JJ issues thats for certain, Meh the adrenaline pump dont need it! but thats all, he doesnt need superman powers FFS we can already fly!

Fixing Bugs on my LA im all good for, adding more abilities will only cause more problems with unbalancing issues, i dont want this to be the supreme class and have everyone flying around! Do you understand were im coming from now Dytch!
  18. Dral

Just need c4 and heal kits to be in different slots, or add some other sort of vehicle/turret disabling tool that doesn't conflict. Sucks not having the heal if you take damage getting behind enemy lines, and if you don't have the c4, well you can't be very effective.
  19. Ruvan

LA is fine for the most part. It needs a little something more in my opinion, but only a little something. Something like the cert that makes you run faster in its own slot.

People need to stop thinking of the Jetpack as one mechanic and rather think of it as two. What I mean is this:
    1. The jetpack allows you to be unpredictable, attacking from places your opponent isn't checking, as well as making getaways to places your opponent can't get to.*
    2. The jetpack allows you to get in to places where the others cannot, allowing you to take out key targets like SCU generators.
    If you compare this to say HA (which is basically the closest class to LA):
    1. The HA shield is the equivalent of the number 1 listed use of the jetpack.
    2. HA has no equivalent to number 2, therefore, they get increased ability to kill vehicles.
    *For example, rather than sitting on the floor guarding a generator, you sit on top of a cabinet which an enemy won't instantaneously check. Another example, a HA is following you. You duck through a door on the left side but use your jetpack to levitate over to the right side. Hence, the HA comes through the door with his back to you and is easily dispatched.
    • Up x 1
  20. Nonesuch

Light assault is my favourite class and I can't see how it could be buffed without becoming hideously overpowered, just the ability to get into any position and fire down upon the enemy is an incredible advantage. I think this problem might just be down to people not using it for what it's designed for and trying to fight linearly against heavies.

I also disagree quite heavily that it doesn't contribute to the team, covering people from roofs and flanking through windows etc certainly helps. I don't really think it even directly needs to help like a medic or engineer can.