Where LA should be headed...

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Ghostloadout, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Ghostloadout

Recently it has come to my attention that the Planetside 2 developers are giving some "love" to our ever so useless light assault. (Mentioned in Higby's stream)

So, being a very opinionated person, i decided to make a thread about where LA should be headed.

At one point Higby stated that the light assault would be more of a commando/assassin type class, while i like this playstyle, i don't feel it adds any team utility, as it's not supposed to be played as a scout, (quoting Higby) The only use i've found for the LA is being able to take out enemy support classes with ease. Popping out behind a couple medics in an enemy push would be amazing, sadly it hardly ever works out that way.

My proposition is to make LA a mobile Heavy Assault, capable of holding his own against vehicles using remote detonation explosives, but on these explosives there would be a 3 second fuse after being triggered, making it marginally effective against unintelligent infantry/ unsuspecting. Also as a side bonus, maybe giving the LA some sort of radar kit capable of distorting enemy radar, so that in the area of the light assault, proximity radar is not triggered, as well as not showing up on the mini-map while firing guns(little red splurge no one pays attention to). The radar would also give a sweeping close range radar, out to probably 35-50 meters max, functioning like a scout radar. Something that would add a bit more combat effectiveness to the annoying little fly, is adding a charge-like ability, that can only be used when on full jump-jet energy. Something that should also be addressed is the nearly useless adrenaline pump, either make it a passive upgrade, or increase the boost to sprint speed greatly. Lastly, i feel that as a light class the LA should move very fast when aiming down sights, similar to the GR-22 for NC or the LC2 lynx for TR (don't know a Vanu Weapon) On the subject of weapons, i think the LA should have a choice between the carbines and the assault rifles, maybe this would unbalance the game, maybe, but i think it would be a welcome ability for the LAs, more useful. I believe this would give more incentive to play a GOOD LA, without unbalancing the game completely.

Oh, did i mention your allies can see the blips on the radar you scout out. :)
    I hope many people share my opinion, as i would hate to see a class with such potential go to waste.
    • Up x 1
  2. Iridar51

Jetpacks. We can't have assault rifles, we would become overpowered.
    Class is fine, I don't feel like we need anything else. I guess it would be nice to be able to have both healing packs and C4, but no more. Jetpack alone gives us all the advantage we need.
  3. SenEvason

Our roles as LA can vary greatly by what we equip. We can go from Anti-infantry to Anti-vehicle real quick. For example, toss a smoke on a tank or sunderer, jetpack in, set C4, jetpack out, dead vehicle. Or a room of infantry, toss smoke, use HS/NV scope to see them, dead infantry. Even jetpacking up onto buildings, through windows, or over enemy heads gives us many uses to help out our team.
    • Up x 2
  4. Iridar51

Am I the only one who has the reflex from counter-strike to run and hide in cover when blinded by flash greanade?.. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  5. ruin103

I dont really know what the LA should offer but I dont think it is that useful currently. It doesnt scale... kinda pointless in a game that advertises 2000 v 2000 per 'server'

In a battle with more than a few people we are out gunned, cant take out air, difficult to take out ground vehicles and offer no support. small skirmishes we are fine, and we are fun to play in general (even in large battles).

What good is the ability to fly through a window in a 30 v 30 battle or larger? Or a large vehicle battle what can we do? Healing, repairing, shooting down air/ground is always important...
    • Up x 1
  6. Zelcot

Decoy Grenades that either place one or many dots on the minimap would be a fun addition. Also a silent jetpack. I don't play LA much but this stuff would be very enjoyable to me.
  7. Rainrix

I currently don't think LA is too bad, And I play it practically non-stop. That ammo scavenging i've heard said by many others sounds like an awesome idea though.

I don't care much for C4, Not used it though. I actually find the Medkits more useful as I try to harass the enemy or hold capture points. But that's down to personal preference. If I come up against armour then I usually just feel it's someone elses job to deal with it (Or i'll spawn a Magrider and try to deal with it myself if the need arises), Most of the important stuff happens indoors anyway, And outdoors the jetpack gives me a major edge on evading tanks.

Maybe some kind of uzi pistol weapon..? I've not seen a VS full automatic pistol I think... Though perhaps the Carbines have that covered. Buff the sprint speed improvement a little more maybe? The ammo scavenging though would be amazing... Would feel like a vulture of the battlefield, Swooping down and picking off the weak, Getting my fill of their carcass, And then moving on to high ground to find my next victim ;)
  8. centurionvi

I've noticed this too. In small skirmishes I'm basically part Batman/part Predator, but the larger the battle, the more irrelevant I seem to become. Kill one guy, die, kill two guys, die, etc. It would be nice to have some sort of gadget to add support.
  9. Firaxin

We should be able to skyjack enemy aircraft :p
    • Up x 1
  10. non

LA is awesome. auto shotgun with 2x reflex for inside buildings/close quarters. shotgun slugs with 4x scope for long range snipe, c4 for vehicles, and standard with reflex is good for medium range and all around. LA can get to places that no one else can.

in this situation i would fly to a place lvl with the window but a distance away and snipe them through the window with nova 4xscope and slugs. 2 shots to head 3 shots to body
  11. Labad

I currently dislike that our utility slot is has so much competition. I could lone wolf SOOO much better if i had health kits AND C4 :p
  12. Sharmanti

This, instead of having an empty utility slot, or something useless there, i'd rather be able to carry smoke nades/flash nades/c4/health kit there instead.

Currently I am running around, doing INSANE amounts of damage to enemy "defensive" positions. I can clear rooms of 5-6 people at times in a matter of seconds. I use explosives alot, hitting hard form the flanks where they don't expect it. 2 c4, 2 nades currently

So, thrashing my explosive nades for flash/smoke (utility nades imo, since they help the team) isn't an option.

If there were to be an utility tool however, ammo packs is quite crucial to this class. Since you're often looking to get away from the main group and work on your own or with other LAs, when the ammo runs out... well **** you
  13. PaintedDeathAW

I made a post the other day about an idea that I have for LA that I would love to see implemented. I would like to have a suit mod that I could take that would allow me to count for 2 people while on a point. This would allow me to solo cap much faster. I don't intend this to be used in an abusive way obviously, but due to my ability to get to points faster than my team mates, I commonly find myself standing on a point all by myself without any hope for my allies getting there in time to assist. With the ability to cap very fast, I would be much more useful to my team, while being a huge threat to the enemy team. I think its a great idea.
    • Up x 1
  14. Dytch

The thing is, we're the only class in the game that offers nothing in the way of Utility that another class can't do. As every class has access to C4 lets not go there. The Engineer can get certs faster with ammo boxes and repairs, the medic has heals and rezs, the heavy can destroy vehicles, the infiltrator can hack terminals.(though that doesn't happen enough to justify a exp gaining utility to so i'll agree they need somethin too.) The thing is we need somethin that helps out the cause while also accumulates exp for us in the range of what the medic does. Now I understand the medic heals people and as such some medics don't get the kills we do, well I played a medic for the first 2 weeks I played this game, and with my NS-11A trust me there is no reason to feel sorry for these cats, put a decent scope on it and these guys can rack up the kills while looking for busted up friendlies to heal.

My point being, I accumulated certs and xp a lot faster as an engineer and a medic than any other class, i'm not saying I want that as LA, but share some of that love. I really enjoy helping my team out, but to me the LAs jetpack adds another dimension to the class which is sick fun, but doesn't offer the xp gain that other classes abilities do, we need somethin to make up for that.
    • Up x 1
  15. Chrysalis

Other classes can't drop down behind an enemy squad, shoot two to death, throw a frag into the scrum and book it either.

We have a jetpack. We have the best avenues of approach to any position in any base in the game. We have the tools necessary to break up defensive positions.

Yeah, in a stupid zerg vs zerg in the open field, we contribute less than nothing. But if you haven't noticed by now, open field zerg vs zerg is maybe 5% of the total gameplay. Most of the time you're either assaulting or defending a base. Bases mean buildings, buildings mean your Z axis advantage is important and powerful.
  16. Lokarin

If the AA launcher is being changed to lock-on only, I wouldn't mind it on the LA to give the LA and HA some variety in play.
  17. Dytch

I understand what you're saying, but it's not the same. Look at every other class, they get a unique tool and we don't. MED and ENG have their heal and repair gun, INF have that radar type gun, Heavy have a rocket launcher, we have no answer to that. As far as i'm concerned our jet packs are the answer to the medic aoe heal, the heavy shield, the engineer turret, and the infiltrator cloak, where is our answer to their class specific guns?
  18. {joer

I find the mobility of la to be amazing, and I've had a blast flanking with it, hell I've run out of ammo for both rifle and side arm doing it.

It's the best CQC class there is, better then heavies if you can aim, plus you can move faster. The bugs should be fixed but how much more do people really think this class needs?

If you are a run and gunner you can't go wrong with la.
  19. Adhoc

LA's are fine. If you find you aren't useful in large assaults you're using the wrong kit. You can carry up to 5 smokes with a combination of the grenade bandolier and the underslung smoke grenade launcher. You are absolutely vital to any organized assault. And once you disperse your grenades you have the ability to get behind everyone in the confusion and take out entire swaths of infantry or a sunderer with c4. We have the ability to incapacitate entire squads at once with smokes or flashes, it will win you the base instead of gaining you one or two more kills with a regular grenade.

The only real issue LA's have is ammo, but since you can use enemy Engineer's ammo kits to replenish your magazines, it's not that massive of an issue.
  20. MasterCheef

I dont get all this LA complaining at all.I see plenty of ways the LA helps a squad out. We are always the ones jumping over walls and distracting the enemy. We hunt snipers. I use my C4 to take out weakened vehicles that try to escape unknowingly into my area. We are always behind the battle field somehow.

People just want the LA to be OP. I dont want that because i dont want to all of a sudden see 75% LA battles. I hate fighting other LAs, its so much more fun to fight grounded enemies.
    • Up x 2