When are Domeshields going to be implemented?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by PastalavistaBB, Apr 23, 2014.

1. PastalavistaBB

I know that they were on the PTS some time ago and I was definitely against it. But with the insane survivability buff to Liberators, it has become a necessity.

So when is SOE going to implement them on Live Servers? Because currently, there's no way to have a Infantry vs Infantry or Armor vs Armor fight without getting LoLberated to death at any given time. MBTs have become a waste of resources that get 2-3 shotted by the Dalton in less than 8 seconds. It's not fun to be forced to play like a Paranoid person or the Taliban, in fear of "Death From Above" any given moment.
    • Up x 4
  2. Paragon Exile

Hopefully never.

Get your guys to pull more AA and your Liberator problems will quite literally melt away
    • Up x 14
  3. Robes

They're not.
    • Up x 3
  4. minhalexus

How about you pull a skyguard or an AA max?
    • Up x 3
  5. William Petersen

How about we get a gun that can actually ******* KILL Libs instead of just making them run away like the pansies they are? I vote for that option.
    • Up x 11
  6. Maljas23

Hopefully never.
    • Up x 7
  7. sindz

Never.

Only the COD kiddies want them.
    • Up x 6
  8. maxkeiser

Hopefully never.

And, for the record, I'm not a pilot and basically never fly.
    • Up x 4
  9. WarmasterRaptor

Even if Libs are terrible these days I never want to see those shields in-game.
    It's an horrible band-aid to an entirely different balance issue.
    • Up x 6
  10. axiom537

Hopefully never...

What you really want is Air and ground vehicle objectives. Right now the most an Air or ground vehicles can do to contribute to capturing or defending a base is kill infantry or other vehicles to impede or assist infantry's advancement to the capture point. AS long as capturing bases revolves around Infantry then they will also be the primary target for both attackers and defenders...

If Air & ground vehicles had objectives that helped contribute to a base capture, that involved Air vs Air and ground vs ground vehicles, then we would see those vehicles fight over those objectives much more then simply killing infantry and attempting to keep them from the capture points.

For ground vehicles - an ammo tower out in the fields near a base, or a large area that they need to keep all enemy vehicles out of are some possible ideas

For Air vehicles - Maybe keeping all enemy Air vehicles out of he hex the base is located in, or an Air pad that levitates 300 m or more above the base, that can only be reached with Air craft & has no spawn points... Or maybe a special capture point that is near the ceiling above the base, that the attackers need to hold with a Galaxy, but if the defenders kill the galaxy or force it to move the point reverts back to the defenders...
    • Up x 3
  11. PastalavistaBB

Your ideas don't promote Combined Arms, it just pushes towards segregating Infantry and Vehicles like SOE wants. Domeshields are no better than that, but it's a temporal solution to the air spam until SOE gets their $hit together. I definitely don't want something like Esamir Walls.
    • Up x 1
  12. axiom537

It is still combined Arms...You don't think Infantry are going to stop shooting at Air or ground vehicles and vice versa or supporting one another in their objective. The difference is that in some fights and battles each faction will have objectives that are tailored to infantry, Air or Ground vehicles, which will help spread the fighting out and as I mentioned provide an objective that doesn't only revolve around killing Infantry.

Everyone killing Infantry because they are the only unit that can capture or defend a point, doesn't really promote combined arms, other then every one targets the guy on foot.

If like in PS1, we had an LLU, that needed to be taken from one base to another for the attackers to capture, it brought the fight out into the open and if you didn't support that LLU with infantry, ground vehicle and Air craft then odds of you getting the LLU back to your base diminished.

I am not saying every base needs an Infantry, Ground vehicle, Air vehicle Objective but we could certainly vary it up a bit...
  13. Zar

lol never community burned that idea to the ground combined arms game not arena shooter tanks aircraft are gonna be dangerous deal with it pull aa and lock ons tanks and aircraft are so weak now.... bar libs but wait on that one, are so a non issue anymore i almost never pull them inless i need to fight aa at least on the tr side hellfires are so piss weak you are better off nose gunning troops with a aa gun
  14. doombro

Pulling skyguards is a waste of resources. If you get another guy to pull one with you, you might be lucky enough to scare a few aircraft off. However, you're useless against everything else. When all the air is gone, you'll have wasted a good chunk of your vehicle resources for a quality of life improvement to your current situation. If I could swap out my skyguard later for a python or something, I would pull them occasionally, but they're only a deterrent against air, and completely useless against everything else. So, there's really no justifying the use of skyguards in their current state.

AA MAXes are a complete joke against liberators. If you have two or three Lockdown 5 TR maxes with dual extended mag bursters, you might be able to tickle a liberator if he's not paying attention. Anything less, and you're just wasting resources.

The only legitimately effective ground to air weapon against liberators is the lucky decimator shot.
    • Up x 1
  15. Phyr

I'd like to see a dome shield over the Octagon, but that's it.
  16. salembeats

The thing about libs in their current state is that responding to a large number of them requires a ridiculous amount of people pulling something that's pretty much useless against anything EXCEPT libs... or pulling an equal number of libs yourself and crossing your fingers that your libs are competent.

It's an "all in" situation, and makes gameplay feel random, like playing rock-paper-scissors -- there's not as much skill involved as there is with other encounters, it's just guessing which unit type your opponent will commit to and hoping that you guessed correctly.

On the other hand,
    Flashes, Harassers, Lightnings, MBTs, ESFs, and Galaxies can be responded to more flexibly -- you can equip an MBT with AP rounds and a walker to have at least a fighting chance against whatever is attacking you. You may be at a slight disadvantage based on your loadout, but you can overcome this disadvantage with a bit more skill than your opponent.

Before libs were made more powerful and survivable, we didn't have this issue.
    Can me have a super-lockon launcher which does substantially more damage but requires a substantially longer lockon time than usual? It'd be great as a counter to the now-superpowered camper lib zergs.
  17. salembeats

Also, a well-perched, max-anchor prowler with AP rounds and a gunner with great 4-dimensional sniping skills against moving targets.

Forgot to mention that.

It's not something that you can expect to be able to react with, though -- it's something that needs to be set up beforehand, and often doesn't work well depending on battlefield terrain.
  18. vanu123

Hopefully never. Look they already cut tanks out of the majority of bases, I don't want pilots to have to go through the same thing.
    • Up x 1
  19. axiom537

Actually it is very easy to counter a Liberator and it takes the same amount of man power and same amount of resources. Pull another Liberator or pull 2 ESF (more resources though)

If you can't take out Air craft with ground based AA and you are only forcing them to retreat to repair, then you need friendly Air to take care of the issue, because only Air craft are going to be able to be able to chase down those enemy Air vehicles.

You may not like it, but as long as we are going to have Air craft in this game, then when you attack or defend a base your squad or platoon is not balanced if it doesn't have 1 or 2 Air vehicles to provide air support for your ground troops or at the least be prepared for one or 2 people to pull Air craft to support your troops....

No offense, but my outfit and our squads and platoons, rarely have an issue with Liberators, because we also are prepared to pull numerous AA ground vehicles or Maxes and if that isn't enough then a few people volunteer to pull a matching liberator or 2 or 3 ESF's and the problem is quickly and easily dealt with.

It only takes 3 Dual Burster Maxes to quickly and easily dispatch a liberator, even if one or two goes down in the process, a medic easily solves that problem...

FYI libs have not been made more powerful or survivable. The only thing that was changed is they buffed Composite Armor, but then the Liberator needs to forgo auto-repair. And Daltons have had there splash reduced but the damage is the same as before.
    • Up x 2
  20. IamnotAmazing

uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wat? An esf with a beacon is far better than a gal