What is the purpose of a visible tankmine??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dvine, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Separatists

so you can throw it next to a sundy and shoot it until it explodes =)
  2. Tekuila

Mines are truly fine I assure you. All is well.
  3. Dvine

Youre a crappy troll bud, try harder!
  4. Aphotic

So what you are saying is you feel that 750 infantry points isn't worth 750 vehicle points you've just destroyed, and that it's fair to force a driver to spend his vehicle points on those equipped with mineguard, but you should have a choice as to what your infantry points are spent on?
  5. Vortigon

There was no problem with mines visibility - why did they change it? Mines are supposed to be hard to spot - it's the reason they exist.

It's like having a minefield for the enemy then putting a sign up saying - "Look out lads - we put a minefield here!"

I managed to drive my sundie through about 8 of things yesterday at full speed with no worries because they are so easily seen now.

I really wonder what these devs are thinking sometimes.
    • Up x 2
  6. Dvine

Im saying that mines are not as infinite and readily available as you try to suggest, they share their resources with a LOT of other stuff and you have to make a choice/sacrifice what you spend your points on. Such is the balance model, you have to sacrifice something to gain advantage in other areas.

Just like with mineguard, you CAN use it and laugh at mines, but you wont get the other strenghts assigned to that slot. You CAN ignore mineguard as an upgrade, and opt for something else but you will have a vulnerability to mines. You cant have your cake and eat it too apparently...

Im pretty sure the concept is fairly understandable, once you let go of the "My veichle should be invincible" mindset you seem to have.
    • Up x 1
  7. Aphotic

Well, since I play mostly as an engineer, I know exactly how easy it is to drive a sundy out, deploy, and lay down a minefield when I want to. I could cover a base in 80 (40 AP, 40 AT) mines right now if I wanted. I don't have an invincible vehicle mentality, but neither do I have a "tank mines should be invisible and you should get this thing or else" mentality either. Plenty of people blow themselves up stepping on prox mines even though they are easy enough to see.
  8. TWFTwilight

Excuse my harsh use of words, but you Sir, are an idiot.
    Lets just say you didn´t waste certs into the utility pouch and can carry only two AT Mines. If you place the two mines, go back to your sundy and resupply and place another two, the first mines disappear!
    You can only deploy the amount of mines you can carry at the same time!
    Gosh and such people have influence on the game balancing....
    • Up x 2
  9. Fenrisk

AT Mines and AP mines despawn once you place your limit.

You have just shown everyone in the thread you have no idea about mines. Have you even seen the new ones? or are you a tank driver come here without even knowing your own topic?
    • Up x 2
  10. makrome

experts at work here
    • Up x 1
  11. Dvine

You could lay out a "minefield" of a whopping grand total of 3 AT mines if you certed for 3, as the the max number a given engie can lay down at the same time is the same he has certed. If you lay more the first one despawns!

How many certs was 40 mines, just out of curiosity? :p

But Im sure you know that since you play engie all the time and stuff..
    • Up x 1
  12. Dvine

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  13. Ogrelover

There really are two "balance" issues here;

1. The use of AT mines as improvised satchel charges, which although realistic perhaps required a bit of toning down. Easiest method to fix is to implement a longer time to deploy AT mines. You can still kill the un-guarded sundies/tanks standing still by either shooting the mines or just wait until the driver embarks and tries to drive away.

2. Visiblity of AT mines. A properly laid AT mine should be hard to detect visually and it is used for area denial. The current fix makes this tactic unusable and a waste of resources and will make vehicle spam even more hard to counter.

Adding time to deploy AT mines to 5 to 10 seconds each will fix balance issue 1 for the sake of game play, but not for realism.

Making AT mines harder to see visually would make balance issue 2 a valid tactic to use ingame again but I would also like add more vehicle slots.
    Mine guard exists as a defensive option and I am all for adding more slots to give us the choice of equipping more than just one option in each defensive/utility slot. This would also make vehicles harder to kill but the current flora of anti-vehicle weapons have made that a necessity anyway,
    • Up x 1
  14. Nogrim313

alright you idiots couldnt be bothered to get mine guard or look for them so they doubled the size, fine **** off and make them one hit kills then.

if you run over one now you deserve instant death otherwise they might as well remove them
  15. Dvine

[IMG]
  16. Purg

Simple solution.

If you want to deploy mines that are essentially invisible to tanks, you need to deploy on the spot for 30 seconds for each mine.

If you expect to just throw mines onto the ground, they will be very visible to tankers.

Solved.
  17. makrome

There should be some counters to mines put into the gam...... oh wait.
  18. Vicea

The tank mines seem fine. Try to adapt, there is a lot of room for improvement in where to place mines. Place them behind rocks on the road. Or even better, place them behind small inclines so they can't be spotted at all by a vehicle who has just gone over the top of a hill. I have seen people place them in plain open sight and be suprised when vehicles don't run over them whilst there is a myriad of options available to cover your mines. If your mine is placed well it doesn't really matter if it's twice the size.
  19. Dvine

Funny.. You telling people to adapt to yet another mine nerf, while the majority of the game refuses to use mineguard to counter.

p.s: Mines slide down hills since patch fyi, I think you should get a clue what are you talking about..
  20. Aphotic

Then I magically laid down four AP mines yesterday, because I put down two, restocked and put down two more. Maybe someone else had thrown others down? /shrug