Warp gate rotations.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hashi, Dec 13, 2012.

1. FateJH

I have an idea: until the devs decide/cave to implement this, let's manually rotate Warp Gates by voluntarily rotating characters. People play TR for two weeks then rotate their character counterclockwise and play Vanu for two weeks; likewise, people who played Vanu rotate into an NC character; and, NC into TR.

This is a particularly silly idea, but I got nothing else.
  2. Zotamedu

I agree that rotating the warp gates would be fun. A nice change of scenery is always welcome. I only just saw the area close to the NC warp gate on Indar this week. It looked nice.
  3. Abyll

I'd really appreciate warpgate rotations. I'm sick of the same exact fights happening, when NC's pushed back to its corner and we just have to rinse & repeat the same zerg to feldspar, then tawrich. Balance or otherwise (it seems balanced enough in Genudine, since the territory does shift all over throughout the day), having a change of scenery, pace, and outlook would shake things up enough to make the game more interesting.
  4. Galahans

What about the "Mobile Command Center" they're building for DUST 514?? Maybe have the 3 of those rotate along the outside of each continent at the same rate?
    Just an idea.... :p
  5. SikVvVidiT

This has been talking about before and brought to the Devs attention. And as you can see, they ignored it...

It's a great idea, which is probably why they ignored it...
  6. Flarestar

This. Indar is by far the most interesting continent to fight on, but unfortunately it's also the least balanced one.
  7. Hashi

If anyone hasn't read Pannath's description of linked warpgates

Currently there are 3 continents. The fact that they've named the starting areas warp gates (like in the original) leads me to believe they will implement what I've been talking about. Right now the warp gates are just being treated as factional bases on each continent. I believe this is temporary since they didn't launch with all the continents they were going to use for the game, since there were quite a few more on Auraxis in the first game, and the continents still have the same names.

The goal of the game is a big war for control of the planet. Right now you can only control a continent, and control of one continent does not affect another, besides the percentage cheaper purchasing bonus.

As I understand it you want to rotate who controls which warp gates on each planet because you believe that some warp gates positions give them a better strategic location to take over the map.

In the first game each of the 3 factions had their own head quarters, these head quarters were not located on any of the continents, they were their own map, they had 1 or 2 warp gates in each headquarters. The purpose of a warp gate was to warp from one place to another. But you could not use a warp gate you did not control.

Each faction could pass from their headquarters through the warp gates they had their to fixed locations, so 2 continents. They would then start taking territory like you do in planetside 2. When they came to another warp gate on the continent they were fighting on that warp gate if taken would warp them to a fixed other continent. So say your headquarters had a permanent link to Indar. You go to indar, there are 2 other warp gates there, one links to say Esamir and the other to another continent that isn't out yet. You take territory on Indar up to the Esamir gate and then take the gate. You now can warp to Esamir and have control of the Indar gate on Esamir. You also have the option of the other warp gate on Indar too to lock out the map and progress wherever it goes.

Right now in planetside 2 you can spawn on any continent. Your faction has a fixed base that can't be taken. It's really just personal preference which continent you choose to go to.

When the continents are linked you won't be able to do that. You can spawn at your headquarters or at the front line on a continent you control where the fighting is, or a warp gate on continents you control. Sometimes some continents will be fully controlled and there will be no reason to go there, noone can attack them because they don't have a territorial border linking them to the continent.

There will be clear front lines of battle. You will have a better reason to hold territory and take territory. To increase your factions control, or defend against an incursion. Because you could actually get pushed off a continent.

In this way you will not have to worry about the top warp gate somewhere always belonging to one faction. The warp gates will not be fixed bases. They are GATES which WARP you to other continents. You need to assault and take these gates to get the power to move your forces to the next continent.

In doing this, Planetside 2 will become an actual war. It will really matter in game where assaults are happening, and what people are doing.

Right now they weren't able to do this because there were only 3 continents at launch, you can't make the gates permanently link to specific continents when they aren't all in. And with 3 continents only it would end too quickly.
    • Up x 1
  8. X3Killjaeden

i'd love gate rotation - it would be great seeing other parts of the map more often. I have been to the upper left corner of Indar exactly once in ~100 gamehours.
    • Up x 1
  9. Hashi

Agreed, playing in beta since early beta with a friend after the initial rotation I barely ever see the top of Indar
  10. rumblepit

lol i see people saying all the time how the north of indar is so op....... ill tell you what .. i would welcome a rotation in a heart beat and you would loathe it. north can be hammered by daltons,,,,, EVERYWHERE.... 100% of the north can be farmed from 1000 meters up in the air because of the land is close to sea level . this can only be done at a few places down south. tanks can come at you at all angles .....EVERYWHERE ,,,,, because its flat and barren creating very few bottle necks and points to hold.

so the north favors armor ,,,,, and air,,,,, the 2 most op things in the game atm........ your welcome to it..

south east favors air, bottle necks ,switch backs, canyons ,and choke points make it very hard and slow for armor to get around.

south west favors armor, lots of high elevation flats make it hard for air to be effective, also lots of cover from tress help to hide them .

bio labs are the only place in this game that favor infantry fighting, because of the lack of armor and air inside :)
  11. Hashi

Still no word as to the balance. The devs may say they read these forums but it sure as hell doesn't look like it as of now.
  12. Galahans

Well, they seem to be busy with 800 other fixes/ideas, so I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up somewhere near the bottom of the list of stuff to do.
  13. Hashi

The way I see it thought, save for optimization and render issues, this should be on the top of their list. They constantly talk about balancing points in the map, but do nothing about the maps themselves. I'll be okay with not having a tunnel this month if they actually bring this to light. Sorry if I sound harsh, it's beginning to annoy me.
    • Up x 1
  14. Galahans

No worries. Everybody's got a right to their position, and a right to defend it
    • Up x 1
  15. irewolf

Hmm, on Miller VS hold the bottom left and always have the advantage on Indar. Those last few bases around thier warp gate are very hard to lock where as the top left of the top/TR warp gate are hard to hold as they are so open. Also, in beta TR had the bottom right warp gate and always owned Indar. In short I don't agree with your view of which warp gates are best etc. Perhaps it also comes down to what vehicles you can use around those areas as well.

But, yes I agree, warp gate rotation needs to happen, but, I believe a dev said somewhere in an interview that it was coming.
  16. Hashi

I don't know for sure which server you had been playing on, but the Terran republic held the south west side while the Vanu had the South East. In all honesty too, they were constantly steam rolled by the NC. I would like to put it to a test with the rotations so we don't have much personal opinion, or difference of players due to server choices.

I play on Miller and sometimes I do see the TR being pushed back by the VS but that is often when the Vanu have a maority population.
  17. Nocturnal7x

Whos idea was it to make a squard map in a game with 3 factions? Or worse yet whos idea was it to put the warpgates in the corners?

Move the warpgates soe, they are in ******** places.
  18. Fligsnurt

I was under the impression that the warpgates were supposed to rotate every month. Or was this something I remember from beta and they had no intention of carrying it over? Because I remember the first few weeks of beta were non stop threads about how the SE corner is at a huge disadvantage no matter what faction has it. At first it was TR and it was bad, the NC and VS would camp the cliffs outside the warpgate and destroy any air that tried to leave.
  19. Hashi

I just want to say first that it was the Vanu who help the SE point, and that rotation was because the VS/TR were complaining that the NC had too much of an advantage. Same goes for Esimir when it was first released. The devs don't seem to be caring anymore because there is a minority who speak about it
  20. Fligsnurt

I remember differently at the beginning of beta TR had the SE point in the canyons. I remember this because of helping a few people make some footage of mossies flying the canyons and dealing with the initial sunderer repair armies as they poured out of the TR warpgate. I guess I could be wrong but this was the beginning of the closed beta and not the tech test though.