Warp gate rotations.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hashi, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Silver Pepper

Terrain wise, you'd expect this to go against the TR - wiping out anything that exits their warp gate with aircraft is extra easy in the wide open area, surely? On the other hand, NC should have an advantage?

Although, flip this another way - the NC is funneled by the terrain on leaving their warpgate.
    • Up x 1
  2. Arsinek

Dont care. Rotating where factions spawn wont fix the boring game play.
  3. Hashi

Honestly, I think the same thing... it's a tough thing to argue, and the only bit of evidence I can give is when the NC had the uppermost part of the continent in August. The TR had VS territory and the VS/TR would constantly be help back and only given 25% of the map respectively. But then again, that was when Galaxies were AMS'...
  4. Silver Pepper

Didn't the warp gates on Indar move a bit around September/October in the Beta? Can't remember what happened as a result of that.
  5. Sebyos

I want a rotation for sure. Right now the worse is Amerish. Tech plants are a real pain for NC and especially VS, but TR just walks out straight to get theirs it's ********.
  6. Hashi

Yeah sorry I think it was in september that the switch happened, my mistake. But that resulted in what you see now
  7. CDN_Wolvie

IMHO, imbalances are both this games greatest and weakest moments, it all depends on if you are on the giving side or the receiving side of the munitions. Striving for "balance" would sap this game of a lot of what makes it great.

That said though, you want to know why some warpgates seem to suck for a particular faction from what I have observed? Its because certain warp gates have terrain that is favourable to their faction's unique strengths. Those things are bases that have engagements at a distance that the faction has infantry weapons that do well at that range, Empire Specific Fighters (ESF), and Main Battle Tanks (MTB).

Consider for a second the unique strengths and it could become pretty obvious quickly why NC seems to get warpgated ALOT on Indar - their MTB and ESF are the least suited for the terrain, Vanu MTB can bloody climb the canyon walls, their ESF with the best hover/braking are ideally suited for canyons and the TR coming from the north have a whole lot more access to the highground to rain down death from above and inside the canyons their infantry engage at some really ideal distances for them. When the TR don't own the top half of Indar in a heart beat and the Vanu aren't bouncing all over the canyons and mountain passes like they rightfully own the place, I am surprised.

Esamir is another interesting situation for the NC, their north west warpgate is the only one that isn't situated behind a wide open ice river. You'd be lying if you didn't admit those bridges as the only cover as far as the eye can see doesn't result in some rather ideal situations for the other factions to repel the other factions tanks and Sunderers. Even then, on Waterson, the NC do manage to prevail once in a while there.

Amerish is the one continent I have seen all factions do well once in a while and the ones with the least favourable warpgate terrain to their strengths there IMHO by a small margin appears to be the TR and the NC and VS seem to have roughly the same terrain, sorta like how on Esamir the TR and VS seem to have roughly the same terrain around their warpgates.

If there is one continent due to its design that you would probably see the biggest difference if a faction changed warpgates with another, I am pretty sure it would be Indar. Pretty sure if either NC or TR had the south east warpgate, they would be (and are) at a disadvantage.

That all said though, I kinda like being the underdogs as the NC, rocking asymetrical warfare, so I'll still roll with it regardless and try to make use of infantry drops of various sorts to try to take the high ground and hopefully give those pesky strengths in the backyard of our warpgates a battle they will remember while they lick their wounds back a few hexes :D >:D
    • Up x 1
  8. Koadster

Next time it looks like its half the map.. Goto Territory control and begin your rage.. when you see its only around 35%.. Northern Hexes are larger giving the illusion that the north WG has more control.
    • Up x 1
  9. Silver Pepper

Yeah, but at the time, did terrain dominance switch around at all? I can't remember if it did - I think stuff just switched back to how it was before, terrain percentage wise.
  10. japro

I would just like the change of scenery... no reason to turn everything into a balance discussion.

Edit: on the other hand I essentially started the same thread yesterday without bringing up balance and only got three answers instead of three pages, so I guess you have to sneak in some balance argument to get heard :D
    • Up x 2
  11. Hashi

It's sad but you really do, again though this is somewhat of an old thread, I made about 4-5 now and it seems that when you give facts as to why instead of speaking of personal opinion people can relate more
  12. Hashi

In terms of terrain dominance, the factions that did have that part of the map did always succeed in keeping it (NC/TR)
  13. Hashi

Look I understand what you mean but what I'm stating is about ease of access. Yes, they may only control "35%" of the map but all in all that's still an advantage if you look at it one way or another. When looking at the map it looks to be about 50% of control and I'm not talking about resources, I'm talking about hexagonal influence. Ontop of that, VS/NC fights are already gimped with that giant gorge in the middle so it effectively gives us the 25% and leaves it at that.
  14. Zagz

I was enjoying the rotation in Beta. It felt fresh and different as well. It is indeed a different ball game.

Probably will happen when we actually get a Sanctuary.
  15. Hashi

I'm hoping we'll achieve this before the next continent is released, also from what I've heard there will be no sancs... was I wrong?
  16. Pannath

Hashi as do your reply to mine "Sorry, but as much as that idea sounds good, with the warp gate BALANCE right now all you're saying is let's give the TR a better chance at multi continent locking out the VS on some maps and the NC on all. No."

You obviously didn't read my post completely. Because what you just said wouldn't happen at all. If the starting locations were at headquarters which only linked to specific continents then all the other warp gates were just gates you could take that could go to the other continents, then your so called BALANCE issue wouldn't exist. There wouldn't be a TR or an NC or a VS warpgate on each continent. There would be a warp gate on say Esamir that said Indar warp gate, and you'd take it and get access to Indar, etc...

You really need to read peoples posts before you quote them and say things that completely make no sense and are untrue.

Warp gate rotation is probably the stupidest thing they could do in the game. Once the game has linked gates and fixed headquarters, and the fronts have to roll through maps and progress, instead of just being on every map at once, then the game will become an actual war like it was supposed to. Right now it's just 3 large fps maps and repeat over and over again, and since there are fixed places, noobs like you will always complain that their side is getting the crappy gate.
  17. Hashi

Look I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean first of all. If you could explain better I'd get an idea for what you're thinking. Just incase you want to know, no I didn't play the original, so why not act like I've only played PS2 beta from the 16th and read me through on what your thoughts are okay?

Second of all, yeah warp gate rotations may not be the best idea, but it's all I've got right now and I certaintly am not waiting till they release the other continents to find out that "oh we were in bad positions" or "oh crud, I guess I was wrong there is map balance" As of now I and many others think that the gates aren't balanced, and if you'd like to wait, props to you but I'm speaking my mind and I leave you free to speak yours so either have a chat with me, or get the front door..
  18. MeveM

I think I've only been to the crater in Indar once since release on Miller. Might fly over and hope I don't get shot down just to see how that area looks.

There's no reason why warp gates can't be rotated, none. Why they aren't rotating already is beyond me, how it got past beta stage is weird.
  19. MeveM

I'd like to talk to the person that decided that having a four sided map is a good thing. You can't cut a square into 3 equally sized pieces in any symmetrical way. Look at the map, all warp gates have 3 major bases near by them. On Indar the TR side is 50% of the square, VS and NC have 25% each, just turn off the territory colours and you can even see where the landscape cuts the continent into the faction sides. Ontop of that NC's side is just covered with canyons that take longer to navigate through then VS's grass land and TR's desert.

Why are the maps not triangles or 6 sided? Anything that multiplies with 3. 3 factions, then the shape should multiply with 3, it's simple math for Gods sake.

On Esamir NC top left, VS bottom left, TR top right. Noone bottom right. TR and VS have equal distance to the bottom right corner, NC have to squash in between the two factions to get down there.

PS: Hashi, that signature is getting old, really fast, used to be funny, now it's just irritating.
  20. Hashi

Absolutely agreed, also it seems as if Amerish is just a flip of Indar to be honest, and that doesn't do much to help with the balance now does it?

Yes, I know it gets repetitive, but I feel it's what helps people know I'm the one posting. Besides, if you've read Gooby and dolan, you'd know how repetitive/annoying it is :p