[Video] The Lancer doesn't suck, even when using it solo.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hoffburger, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Shockwave44

Easy there chief, don't get a heart attack.

I'm talking about real battles, not the VR room. When they are moving fast and shooting back, you're not going to waste your ammo on air, you'll be shooting tanks. If you're by weapon terminal, then just switch to the nemesis anyway. If there is no weapon terminal and just air, then all you'll be doing is telling them where you are.

Hades can lock on up to 500m and travel up to 900m, once fired. That's a pretty big range. If you can snipe tanks at 500m or more and kill them or even do serious damage, then you are the best lancer user out there. That far out, the tanks are about 4 pixels big.

There are so many scenarios to consider but if they are within 100m, then I use the decimator, if they are further out, the hades. The lancer just doesn't do anything well. Even in its niche, its lackluster.
  2. ShopTrain

I'm glad the Lancer actually takes skill to use so that not everyone uses it. If you don't like, then don't use it. It's simple as that.
    • Up x 1
  3. Shockwave44

What skill? People snipe all the time but all of a sudden lancer users are skillful because they have an average weapon that does very little damage to tanks?

I have no problem hitting tanks. It's the damaging and killing part that gets in the way. Most of the time I just get assists, even if i hit it once. That's all the lancer is good for really.
  4. thrikerr

What happens when you kill all the tanks and there's nothing but air left? Since you're out in the field and not in VR, there isn't an infantry terminal around every corner. Hades locks on up to 400m by the way, not 500. And as with all lock on weapons, the farther the target is from you, the more likely they are to drive behind cover and make your rocket do 0 damage. That's less damage than a Lancer would have done, by the way.

And then we get to the part that makes people think the Lancer sucks. If it's possible to be the "best" Lancer user out there like you say, then what does that mean? That's right, it's a skill-based weapon. This is its ultimate downfall and the reason why it won't see as much use as a Striker or Phoenix, despite being equally useful.
  5. thrikerr

Oh you get lots of assists, do you? The Striker would like to have a word with you. Many players fire a hundred or so Striker rockets before landing a kill, with plenty of assists in between.
  6. Shockwave44

If you killed all the tanks then I doubt you will have any ammo left anyway so why even ask? If you have an engie with you and a lancer, the ESF's will kill you before you kill them.

I know how lock-on's work. All the lancer is going to do at 400m is tell the enemy exactly where you are. Why even shoot if you know you won't do much damage?

What makes it a skill-based weapon? That fact that its weak? I don't understand what constitutes a skilled weapon vs a non-skilled weapon. Who determines that? You?

And why should anyone use a weapon that's weak? You do realize we got the job done before the lancer came out.
  7. Shockwave44

If you don't like the striker then don't just sit there and do nothing but don't say, if the TR can't have a good ESL then, the VS shouldn't have one either.

I'm rendering a 20 minute video where I'm using the lancer in every conceivable situation I could think of against armor and comparing it to the launchers we already have. It's clear the lancer isn't up to snuff yet.
  8. MartianDiscoFish

The only thing the Lancer needs now is a better scope, 1.5x zoom for a weapon with this much range is dumb, they should let us cert into higher magnification scopes (3x, 6x, etc.)
  9. Shockwave44

I've been saying that the whole time but now that I have video to prove it, no one will be able to say it will make it OP because right now, there's no real reason to use it.
  10. Frosty The Pyro

honestly sense you are going to have ro reload anyway, I think your TTK vs air will be better with uncharged shots. you can dump all 6 shots much faster than you can charge even one, at 300 damage a shot two mag dumps will be 3600, ESFs have 50% resitance, so thats 1800 damage, esfs have 1750 life. you can definatly dump 2 uncharged mags faster than you can charge 2 shots and then fire two uncharged.
    Has anyone datamined the refire rate, charge time, and of the lancer yet.

you arnt going to run out of ammo before its dead, or at least hte lancer is the least likely rocket launcher for that to happen with, lancer has more damage per (stock) loadout than any other launcher when you use charged shots.
    Lancer charged 12000 damage per loadout (1500*24/3)
    Stock/pheonix 8500 damage per loadout (1700*5)
    Decimator 8000 damage per load out (2000*4)
    G2A G2G lock ons 7500 damage per load out (1500*5)
    Lancer uncharged shots 7200 damage per load out(300*24)
    Anihilator 5750 damage per load out (1150*5)

I dont know the values of the striker, but I doubt it holds more than 12000 damage
  11. PhilDun

LOL @ "solo." "I took over Crown solo. There were other people in my faction there too, but I wasn't with them."

Get real. Soloing aircraft would be using an AA max to kill it in one swoop. Or getting 1 shot with the TR Striker. Finishing off weakened targets is hardly "solo." You would have been much more effective using AA Max than Lancer.

I purchased this item yesterday. It's still garbage. The only thing it's good for is stealing kills from AA maxes.
  12. Hoffburger

What the hell happened to the FPS gaming community? Did they all get hit by a giant rock in the head? Kill stealing? Really? This is a MMO. What I was doing is as close to being solo in this game as you can get.

As for shooting aircraft, I shoot aircraft all the time. If you have sniped at all, it is really really easy to hit aircraft with this thing. One fully charged shot will send most aircraft away instantly. Two will kill (if you manage to shoot them again or are playing with friends in this TEAM game). It is beastly against liberators as well (in groups of course). The fact that it can easily hit tanks way outside of the range of anything else in the game other than the AV turret and can also swat ESFs/Libs away to protect yourself makes it, IMO, the best launcher in the game. Yeah, it's that good. A whole squad of Lancers with people who can aim is EXTREMELY hard to counter. A whole squad of Strikers? They get killed by 1 brave LIb who has smoke, or a few ESFs with smoke, or some tanks with smoke. A whole quad of Dumbfires? Killed by air or long range tanks. A whole squad of Phoenix? Killed by air. Lancers are the only thing that do enough damage, have enough range, have no hard counters, and have a fast enough projectile to actually be able to fend off every vehicle in the game. Trying to assault Crossroads, Crown, or any place with long lines of sight leading up to the base when the enemy is using Lancers is extremely frustrating.
    • Up x 2
  13. PhilDun

Get a few AV Mana turrets synchronized and you will destroy tanks much more efficiently.

And of course a whole squad of lancers will do well. A whole squad of almost ANYTHING will do well. Replace all those Lancers with Dual Burster Maxes (for aircraft) or AV Mana Turrets (for tanks) and you will fare much better.

As I said, Lancer is good for nothing but kill stealing.
  14. Molotov

And out of all those kills the Striker would not have done any damage let alone kill anything due to any one of it's numerous counters.

Striker counters
    Stealth increasing lockon time requirement
    Flares/Smoke
    LOS being broken for a split second
    Needing to stand out in the open to maintain LOS
    Easy to perform evasive maneuvers

Lancer and Phoenix counters
    NONE (shooting down a Phoenix rocket is not practical or a reasonable counter)

I won't bother going into things that the Lancer and Phoenix can do that the Striker can't, like shooting Maxes and turrets. The one ESRL that needed a buff and they ignored it while buffing the others.
  15. Hoffburger

AV turrets get decimated by air and snipers. As I said, Lancer is the only thing that is good in all situations and doesn't need support from other things (like AV turrets needing anti-air support).
  16. ShopTrain

Ok that's your opinion, but stop going from thread to thread saying the same thing. Some people know how to use it and they are going to continue using it. And I don't think it's gonna get buffed anymore, so you're complaining isn't gonna make it better for you to use. Keep in mind that there is other rocket launchers for you to use.
  17. Shockwave44

I don't need to anymore. I posted the only video hat shows the lancer in all its glory.
  18. axiom537

Great Video! Pretty much highlights the experience I have had with it.
  19. jdono67894

Anyone who thinks the phoenix is more useful then the lancer is being obtuse on purpose, and I doubt the devs would be that stupid to buff the lancer any further so give up the act, its just sad now.

The lancer is useful for anything in the air or ground, hits without warning and has a high skill cap so the more skilled players will be more useful with it then a skilled player using the phoenix and the striker could ever be.
    Phoenix is only useful against aircraft within 300 metres sitting dead still (a tank shell or dumbfire could also hit them in this perfect scenario), or any tank/sunderer that is not behind cover and within 300 metres.
    The only slight edge that the phoenix has, is that it can slowly curve and if someone parks that sundy in a bad position you can hit it sometimes.

I would love the lancer on NC and I am sure if it came down to a vote, nobody on VS would give it up for the phoenix.
    • Up x 1
  20. Nonorf

Decimator > Lancer .