[Video] The Lancer doesn't suck, even when using it solo.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hoffburger, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Teegeeack

FInally, after all those videos of people using the Lancer when they're 20 metres away from a Prowler and complaining about how bad it is, you've shown how it SHOULD be used.
  2. Nyscha

Your stats with the lancer say otherwise.

LANCER

[IMG]
    24 0.16 47% 493 0 232 43,823

Kills 24
    Accuracy 47%
    493 shots and 232 hits.
    • Up x 3
  3. NinjaTurtle

Wow, I never realized it was as good as that. WTF are the VS players complaining about? With all the crying I was under the impression it did the same damage as being hit by a cauliflower.. apparently not
  4. Nyscha

It hits like a sand bag, in that guys video there is more than one person firing the lancer...
    The only targets the lancer doesn't suck against is lightnings and flashes.
    Try firing at the front of a prowler and lol how you run out of ammo before its even dead.
    • Up x 1
  5. Liberty

Nice video OP, those were some nice air shots with it for sure.

To all the people whinning "You aren't solo, you are in a platoon" each and everyone of you is an idiot. He is running solo and there are other people around. There are *always* other people around in planetside. Solo just means you lack a team to coordinate your efforts, where the lancer (like ALL rocket launchers) has been shown to be more deadly.

I could see maybe 1 or 2 people making that claim but 3 on the first page alone. I weep for this generation of gamers.
  6. Lohk

aww someone is poopy ^_^
  7. xGreedFuSioN

Wow.
    Just.
    Wow.
  8. Xasapis

Actually the lancer has seen two boost patches in a week to bring it at the point where it's used at that video.

It's still the highest skill cap launcher in the game right ow.
  9. Nepau

First off the Lancer is far better now then it was when it first came out. The biggest things that help make it useful was the removal of the CoF on scoped shots and the Damage drop off change so that it doesnt kick in till 500m (To be honest try shooting something past 500m in VR its damn hard to even see it).

When it first came out the damage drop off was rediculous, and the CoF on a scope shot meant it was a crap shoot of even hitting anything at range. Because of this it could not effectivly be used at range, making it a close range weapon that was outclassed by a Dumbfire. The lack of accuracy at range + the damage drop off meant it was better to use a lockon at range.

Currently the Lancer is now decent. It still has some bugs that really need to be fixed (cant charge and enter or exit scope, when resupplying or respawning your first shot will always be a lv1 shot). I do hope for a scope for the thing but at it stands it now fits its actual role compaired to the released version.
    • Up x 1
  10. Accuser

Yep, sucks. But it also has too much range.
  11. Xasapis

We don't know how many of those shots were made prior to the two buffs. It is definitely interesting though that roughly 240 hits resulted in 24 kills, a 10 to 1 ratio.

I wonder what the rate is for the other empire weapons. It is kind of skewed for the phoenix due to the infantry kills, so checking the striker can be more productive.

(Edit: Looking at my own stats and at the stats of my default S1, that ratio seems decent. With 60% accuracy my ratio is 14:1)
  12. Purg

What defines a kill with a vehicle? For instance, I've killed a lot of vacant Sunderers. I doubt they show up.

Mine's 321 hits for 10 kills on the Stirker.

310 hits for 96 kills on the Phoenix. At least 2/3rds of those would be infantry + engineer turrets. Very few vehicles will stay around 300m for you to fire 5 Phoenix on them.

Probably hard to really give a quantitative analysis due to the fact that the weapons operate differently and I use my Phoenix in a group and the Striker as largely a lone wolf. A new SPM since the nerfs/buffs would probably be the only fair comparison now that infantry damage has been nerfed on the Phoenix and assist XP has been buffed on vehicles.
  13. Shockwave44

You're missing the point. You seem to be forgetting we still have the decimator, hades and nemesis. Right now, you're only comparing the lancer to the lancer.

When you compare the lancer to the decimator and hades, for ground targets only, the lancer's usefulness drops significantly. Then when you add in mana turrets to shoot tanks and sunderers, the lancer doesn't really have much of a job, except to snipe tanks beyond 300-400m.

The niche is so small, people are fighting to find a use for it but the other launchers already do the job well.
    • Up x 1
  14. FlayvorOfEvil

Sorry, but the phoenix isn't very good solo either. If you were on a field with a tank alone, the only way you can take out the tank is if you sneak up behind it and C4 rocket it, which a normal launcher can do better. You need other NC to be fodder for you while you shoot the phoenix. But I must say it is good at chasing down tank drivers who don't like to turn.
  15. thrikerr

The lancer is still the most versatile launcher in the game. It doesn't hit particularly hard, but it hits consistently and it hits without warning. It's the perfect weapon if you don't know what you're up against, or if you know you're going to be up against a little of everything.
  16. Shockwave44

It's the jack of all trades but not the master of one. It's not meant for air, its meant for vehicles, but within 500m, the decimator and hades holds that spot. Oh and if you don't know what you are up against, you probably shouldn't be shooting at it and giving your position away.
  17. thrikerr

Oh, it's not meant for air? It sets ESFs on fire after two hits and does plenty of damage to liberators and galaxies, working well as a deterrent at the very least, but this guy says it's "not meant for air" so I'm not allowed to do that. Darn. I'd better pull up my magical infantry terminal and switch to a Nemesis in the middle of a fight because it's better against air, right?

Decimator is not meant for long range and Hades is countered by its own lock on range, as well as smoke and terrain. Lancer will hit targets from further away than either of the two, and without giving the opponent a chance to react until after they've taken damage.

And you totally interpreted the other part wrong. Nobody is stupid enough to not know what vehicle they're shooting at. I'm talking about when you're selecting a loadout in the spawn room.
  18. Takoita

Daym, if this thing ever gets any kind of big zoom, we are all screwed. I believe it's a job well done, wouldn't you agree?

(Barring any and all bugs of course - this is PS2 we are talking about after all).

Now only if Striker could be changed into something other than Anni+...
  19. Xasapis

Tbh, I'd like to look at concentrated results from the whole player base than from a couple of people who may use the weapon at its full potential when the remaining playerbase can't. Preferably after the latest adjustments. We already have data from the original state of the lancer.
  20. bodmans

S1 destroys ESF's in 1 hit(or at least bring them to about 4%, so a follow up with a pistol or rifle is frequent), but eversince you can rapidly follow up shots with the lancer its pretty deadly to ESF's as well