[Video] The Lancer doesn't suck, even when using it solo.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hoffburger, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Sabreur

"The Lancer Doesn't Suck" is a long way from "The Lancer is as good as a Phoenix or a Striker". You've found a niche where the Lancer works? Great, except the Striker and Phoenix do the same job, only better and with more versatility.
    • Up x 1
  2. Shockwave44

Ground yes, air, no. Unless you like getting lolpdded, you won't be shooting at ESF's or libs, who know what they are doing. High skill cap? You charge and shoot. Real difficult for you maybe but us VS folks find it real easy. The hard part is hitting anything beyond 400m consistently, with a clear line of sight.

Your phoenix does more damage to vehicles than the lancer can, much more. If it's beyond 300m then just move closer. How did you people get by before the phoenix came out?

They have to find cover at some point. Its your job to move and get that angle.

I'm trying to respect your opinion but don't spout blatant lies like this. If you don't like the phoenix then make a video and show why but don't try and keep the lancer down because you're not happy.
  3. JP_Russell

That would be a bad idea. You're unlikely to find a spot on the fly that's safe from a vehicle's accompanying support within less than 300 meters, so the time spent guiding it would easily get you killed. The Phoenix is strong if you can get shots off on a nearby vehicle from an entrenched position, but trying to pursue targets with it is extremely risky and, in my opinion, foolish. Just as you're better off using the Decimator or a lock-on than the Lancer at closer ranges, you're better off using one of those than the Phoenix if you have to leave a safe area to hit something.
  4. Shockwave44

Look, they used in the PS1 effectively so get it together.
  5. JP_Russell

I wasn't saying it wasn't effective, just that your suggestion to leave safety and pursue armor with the Phoenix is generally not a good idea. You would be better off swapping to a different launcher for that. I didn't play PS1, but with a low time-to-kill in this game, leaving yourself vulnerable and unaware while guiding that missile will get you quickly killed if you're not protected in some way.
  6. Liberty

This post isn't mean to be mean spirited but I was reading your review of the lancer in another post today. You really don't seem to grasp the idea of a "side grade" system. If you are 0-50 M out vs a Moving target you are safe using dumbfire. If you are 50-200 M out with a bit of skill and some luck, you are still safe. At 200+ meters you can switch to a lock on, slower fire time plus it gives the target a warning + chance to fire off conuter measures.

Also at 200+ M you can start to use the 800 M/S sniper launcher that is the lancer and pretty much point and click where you want to hit without too much leading.

At 400 - 500 M your lock on launchers are no longer effective. The Lancer is your best bet at this range for sniping vehicles.

These are considered balance points to create a sidegrade for weapons, where you don't pull it for every single circumstance in the game. If a weapon like this exsisted in PS2? It'd be considered over powered.

Also you can't really compare a heavy rocket launcher vs. the mana AV turret. Two different classes, two completely different setups. Stick to comparing rocket launchers to rocket launchers.
  7. Hoffburger

8. Naehloseht

QFT!
  9. Shockwave44

Did higby state it was a side grade or is everyone just using that as an excuse for a weak weapon?

I have never encountered a tank or sunderer with smoke. If you read the end of my recent video, I state why the hades is better at that range.

200-400m the hades can still lock on. No reason to start using the lancer yet.

That was the conclusion from my video.

Beyond 400m, the lancer still isn't good enough, yet. It needs a high powered scope, at the very least.

I most certainly can.

It's just another weapon taking away from the usefulness of the lancer. It means I would rather switch to engie and use a mana turret since it has no ammo, can be guided and do more damage. Just like the jackhammer for the NC, its a good weapon but now that every class can use semi, auto and pump shotguns, it takes away from the jackhammer's usefulness. Meaning, you are going to use anything else but the jackhammer.
  10. Liberty

No, you can't. Well you can, but it doesn't provide any validity to your point. If so, you would also be comparing the lancer to base AV turrets, tank turrets, MAX AV weapons, tank mines, etc etc etc. We are looking at the lancer as an AV tool that can be used by heavies, not vs. any other AV tool in the game.
  11. Saiph

As someone who actually uses the Glancer (and somehow has headshots with it) it's good for a few things.

1. Killing mentally challenged MAX units (emphasis on mentally challenged).
    2. Killing dumb vehicle drivers.
    3. Kill Stealing.

apparently the equivalent of mentally challenged beginning with an R is censored...which is quite R
  12. Devrailis

What about TEST or GOTR? I love all my little Vanoo friends. <3 :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  13. Sebyos

Title should be : Lancer doesn't suck..anymore...
  14. Shockwave44

Changing from HA to engie is just as simple as changing launchers so, yeah, I'll compare it to them.
  15. Shockwave44

No, the lancer really only starts to come into its own between 300m and 500m but without a scope, it'll just be a novelty weapon.
  16. that_darn_lurker

Funny how OP's video highlights those 3 things.
  17. Gumbo

All I saw was a video of someone using the lancer to get the last hit on stuff everyone else had damaged.
  18. Liberty

Like I said, by that logic you should be comparing it also to MAX AV, C4, Tank Mines, etc etc etc. If you want to compare CLASS AV potentials you can't just pick two random weapons from each class and say "This is better than that" If you look at class AV potential you look at it as a whole. We are trying to compare heavy AV tools against other tools in their arsenal as well as the tools heavies have from other factions.

As I said though, if you want to try and compare it against the AV turret, go for it it. It just doesn't add any validity to your points about balance. :)
  19. Liberty

Solo this launcher is no better or worse (than the dumbfire) against stupid opponents. So what point were you trying to make again? Bad players will still die to a solo heavy running around shooting rockets.
  20. Shockwave44

My point is, they gave the lancer the tiniest of niches and even in that niche, it still falls flat without a telescopic sight.