[VIDEO] ESF reverse maneuver changes on the Test Server (Video comparing PTS and Live)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SebDollar, Aug 1, 2013.

1. McChimperson

No other game has air combat like this. Battlefield jet battles sucked. It was boring flying in circles and being able to only do it at WW1 speeds at less than 900m is just going to be awful.

If I wanted jet combat like every other game out there then I'd go play that.
    • Up x 7
  2. treeHamster

All I hear is "WHAAAAA my Reaver won't be able to farm Scythes all day long anymore".

Guess what? NOW YOU KNOW HOW WE (the VS) FEEL PILOTING ANY OF OUR VEHICLES.
  3. McChimperson

Yeah Reavers are the ones that are going to get farmed. Nose guns normalized, now reverse removed and all the reaver has left is a giant hitbox and the worst speed.
    • Up x 3
  4. MasonSTL

OH GOOD! Now we can have an actual dog fight!

Totally serious btw. When I started I couldn't believe what dog fighting was in this game. Pretty much hover battles.
  5. McChimperson

You do understand that's just 2 people turning in a circle forever right? If you want that BF3 is right there for you. Too bad they still only go 1/10th the speed and altitude of real jets.

Just so you people are aware, realistic jet combat would involve speeds around 3,000 kph and flight ceilings around 10,000 meters.
  6. MasonSTL

It doesn't have to be....
    • Up x 1
  7. Phrygen

my thoughts on the matter:
  8. Elbryan

So they are dumbing down the dogfighting. =/

Welcome the boring BF3-like circle jerks... round n round...

I really like the current flight mechanics. It's very unique and hard to master. Feels great when you finally get the reverse thrusting working for you. I get obliterated by any decent Reaver/Scythe most of the time but at least I feel like I have room for improvement.
    • Up x 2
  9. Elbryan

You don't realize that you will be revealing your big hitbox (top/bottom) at all times with the new flight mechanics?

Also, if you're unable to pull the reverse thrust maneuver with your scythe, you suck.
    • Up x 2
  10. Phrygen

it will actually help reavers. Currently all ESFs can perform the reverse maneuver relatively equally, despite small differences and graphic differences (scythe doesn't animate a moving engine).

However on the test server, the reaver enjoys 20kph more vertical thrust basically, especially with hover frame 3. Pretty sure the mossi/scythe max out at 150kph, and the reaver maxes out at 170kph during reverse thrust maneuver after-burning.

Making this into a faction balance issue does not seem appropriate regarding this change.
  11. Chipay

Now do the same with a plane that's slower, can't dodge lock ons, doesn't have as much health, has a WAY lower flight ceiling and gets constantly harassed by ground, liberators and skywhales. WELCOME to PS2.
    • Up x 5
  12. exLupo

Reverse doesn't do a whole lot to solve any of those issues. Not seeing your point as it pertains to the PTS changes. Videos show vertical boost control still exists so you can still dodge missiles. Reverse doesn't change hp and, as your target has the same-ish hp, will die just like you will. Reverse also doesn't change being harassed by ground. It'll be harder to solo good lib teams but then it's like the lightning vs a 2/2 tank.

So I guess one point but, since there are no lib analogues in Warhawk, still inapplicable in regards to his example.

What he showed is what dev described during panels in pre-alpha. Maybe they're moving the game in that direction, we'll have to see.
  13. PS2Freak

Good Changes.
  14. Chipay

What i meant is that the PS2 flight system (and ESF's) absolutely sucks in comparison to Warhawk, claiming that PS2 has 'Fighters' is an absolute joke, removing the one thing that made it different while adding no improvements to the other mechanics is just a dumb thing to do. ESF's are slow, squishy and don't have much space to breathe while fighting.
    • Up x 1
  15. McChimperson

To reiterate my position: Reverse is the only thing that makes PS2 dogfights interesting.

Leave the flight mechanics alone SOE!
    • Up x 4
  16. MasonSTL

Not saying that it should could happen in this game, but I am saying that it COULD SHOULD happen...

EDIT: reverse that
  17. McChimperson

This is what dogfights are going to look like people if this change goes live. I THOUGHT I ******* ESCAPED THIS IN BATTLEFIELD.

I'm just going to stop flying if it turns into this.
    • Up x 1
  18. MasonSTL

Revert to reply #26
  19. McChimperson

Never seen it and honestly that game looks boring as hell. Still more fun than PS2 air combat is going to be after this ******** goes live.
  20. exLupo

If that happens I will be a happy boy. I learned to love dogfighting in TIE Fighter, Wing Commander and Colony Wars. To have a game where jockeying for position mattered more than who could flip around the fastest would be something I could get behind.

But that won't happen as hover banking turns still exist. Don't worry your pretty little head there, Sarah, Hover Dodgers 3000 is still the order of the day.
    • Up x 1