[VIDEO] ESF reverse maneuver changes on the Test Server (Video comparing PTS and Live)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SebDollar, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Flashtirade

To all you people saying that the new mechanics will be good for newer players
    No, they will not.
    In fact, they'll be even more frustrating than ever, along with being incredibly boring.

If someone gets behind you, you're usually done. The PS2 mechanics currently allow the player being tailed to possibly turn the tables on his opponent, but only if he is skilled enough to pull off the maneuvers. In other flying games, you basically have no chance, unless by some miracle you out-turn him in a long and drawn-out circle fight.
    The new mechanics won't help new flyers because veteran pilots will know how to get behind people, and then that's it. There's no way they're escaping.

Dumbing down the skill ceiling will only make good pilots worse, it won't magically make bad pilots better.
    And if the changes do go through, I'll personally turn in my wings on all my accounts, because if I wanted to fly fixed-wing, there are much better games for it than this.
    • Up x 1
  2. Drealgrin

THis will be good.

Finally no more reverse maneuver noobs ruining the skies.

it will balance the skill out to encourage more noobs to try out the air.
  3. Chipay

do YOU know that you can switch between these 3 classes at ANY time for FREE, where the ESF needs to pay 250? the Standard Lock-ons aren't bad either, got it auraxiumed already.

The amount of "Less Snipers are a good thing" and the general opinion of the people here that snipers are Low2Play scrubs who should be deleted from this game because they're K/D patting classes who don't do anything for their team and are ******* because they can from insane ranges tells me differently. if YOU had read any of these thread you know that people are still hating on the least played class in this game.

Stop being an ******* because you don't play air.
    • Up x 1
  4. Boildown

That pilot was an idiot. I managed only 2 minutes of that video. He could have ended the dogfight early by:

1) Lead turn on opening merge.
    2) Throttle work to decrease turning radius.
    3) Roll? Why isn't he rolling his aircraft any faster than that? That roll rate is slow as molasses if that's as fast as it rolls.
    4) Wingman? Where is any teammate. When you're in a little turnfight like that, you're easy pickings for anyone else in the area, that's why you avoid the Luffberry if you want to live long.
    5) Lag Pursuit instead of trying to pull lead at all times.

These are all Dogfighting 101. No advanced Top Gun stuff here. You'd learn all these in the first two weeks of any decent combat flight game.

I can only conclude that the flight model shown is fine, problem was neither combatant had any idea how to dogfight. So to try to say this is what PS2 will turn in to is idiotic, because that's most likely a far better flight model than what we have now, its just a video of bad piloting.
    • Up x 2
  5. P4NJ

Hopefully this just blows over like the C4 nerf...
  6. Xae

Change?

More like DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.
  7. Benton!

The thing is, we still have VTOL, which still changes how we fly dramatically from games like Ace Combat. It's still a very different flight mechanic, just the reverse maneuver is way less effective. So that opens up many new strategies. When I dogfight, I try to use as many different tactics as possible other than the reverse, but the reverse > all.
  8. Flashtirade

My experience with ACX (for the PSP) was that you had to get behind your opponents and within 500-700 meters/feet (I can't remember what it was set to) in order to get a missile to connect without fail. This was pretty hard, since the planes were quite fast, and turn fights became nightmares because you could easily be overwhelmbed.

AC6 was different because HIGH-G-LOL solved every kind of problem except for the CFA's railgun and QAAMs (which were total horsesh*t). It was more turn fights, but with the added ability to juke whenever things didn't go your way and it was frustrating to hit anything. Needless to say, it was pretty stale.

I haven't played AH, so I don't know if DFM got spammed enough to ruin multiplayer.
  9. Phazaar

It's abhorrent.
  10. Benton!

You lost me lol
  11. FigM

As I said in another thread:

Reverse thrust maneuver is an accidental stroke of genius. SOE made some ground breaking game design in the genre of space fighters. (ESF is more like a space fighter than air plane)

It adds new dimension to combat experience. This is something that will be copied and expanded on in future games. SOE really struck gold with the idea.

To even think of discarding it like some unwanted thing is idiotic. Sorry, but any game designer that would look at this and not see the greatness of the idea doesn't deserve the job.
    • Up x 5
  12. McChimperson

Yeah those games were single player with computers that die for your amusement. The reverse maneuver gives you a chance to turn around and fight your attacker instead of just looping around for ever and ever until the person that drew first blood finishes you off. Like the games you just mentioned and every other fighter sim there is.

So to reiterate my point. Boring. I'll go play BF3 if I want that garbage.
  13. treeHamster

Wow sooo much whine from Reaver pilots.

Who here is a Scythe pilot who is unhappy about this change?

...Nevermind I forgot, there aren't dedicated Scythe pilots because it's such a garbage vehicle. This is just a nerf to the Reaver. Welcome to The Sh**ty ESF club NC.

You don't like it? TOO BAD. Now you know what its like to fly a vehicle which SUCKS at everything but kamikazi attacks.
  14. Benton!

Yeah the Scythe is pretty bad at the reverse.
  15. McChimperson

I think you got a case of Lrn2Fly bud.

16. Benton!

Oh look, someone killing infantry, that is totally relevant to an A2A discussion...

(hint: all 3 ESF's can kill infantry. We are talking about pure A2A here, where the reverse maneuver is actually relevant)
  17. LynxFury

That's the risk of sandbox games and a lot of the fun--players will develop novel tactics that the developers never thought of. The hard question is whether it really hurts of helps expand the game. Reverse manuevers are one of things that dramatically improve the dynamics of ESF fights--that's a good thing.

Rather than nerf it, the devs should embrace it. It also gives them opportunities to develop new airships--like intercepters that can go faster than WWI biplanes but can't hover; perhaps a more helicopter type air frames that are slow but excel at hovering or even ground effect craft for the flat areas and if they ever add water. SOE go with it!
  18. treeHamster

And you're not even a Scythe pilot. If you were, you'd ask for something to level the playing field. So guess what? NOBODY CARES.

Reverse maneuvers were never meant to exist anyway. Just like Magriders jetting up the sides of mountains. That got taken away and now the Magrider is the most pathetic tank in the game (worse than a Lightning even). So just shut up.
  19. SinerAthin

Removing the reverse maneuver is a BAD call.

It has been in the game for far too long, and is an important factor in A2A combat. You can't just take it away.

Sure, it is a difficult mechanic to master; but that's what makes it so good. It raises the skill ceiling, it really rewards the people willing to put hours into practicing it, and itadds depth to the game beyond point & click!

If I wanted a Jet Sim or so, I'd play Battlefield 3.
    But I play Planetside 2 because I like their way of doing it.

Don't change it!

P.S If you're going to change anything, then please let it be the ability for Scythe pilots to see the 'mode' of their thrusters.
    • Up x 3
  20. dBMachine

Are they really going to destroy the most unique aspect of flying in this game?

Bad move. Those maneuvers are the only thing that keeps an other-wise boring flight model interesting.
    • Up x 5