Vanguard shield still insanely overpowered. Make it frontal armor only with more damage absorbtion.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RaskolBandit, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Paragon Exile

He used math to try and show (successfully) that the tank is not OP, which I agree with, but that's also not the issue I have with it.

Armor lock in Halo Reach

Cynosaural fields and hotdropping in EVE Online

OHK sniper rifles in the Call of Duty series
  2. MetalCotton

I remember being perched on a cliff as a Vanguard once. A Magrider came up behind me and magburned into me, pushing me off the cliff.

My shield didn't do ****.
    • Up x 1
  3. WTSherman

A resist shield would need way more uptime and way less downtime, because the very nature of it means it's useless unless you can pop it early and often.

Though of course I'm sure from your point of view the goal is to make it useless anyway, and so improving its uptime/downtime ratio to make it useful would be counterproductive. :rolleyes:
  4. Paragon Exile

Circumstantial benefit, while the shield is always useful You also need to expose your weaker armor to do it.

Fair enough.
  5. Colt556

So you're admitting it's not broken and not unbalanced. Then why are you posting. There's a lot of things that a lot of people dislike the game due to personal preference. I, for one, think the magrider's ability to strafe and magburn out of danger are HUGE advantages, but I wont demand they be nerfed. I believe the PPA or Saron are better ES weapons than their NC counter-parts, I'd gladly trade my enforcer for a saron at this point as the saron better suits my job, but again I wont complain and demand they be changed. I also don't like how the VS have no bullet drop, or how they have natural black camo. But again, I wont demand they be changed.

Bottom line is, whether you like it or not doesn't matter. Whether you find it fair or not doesn't matter. Whether you think it's an enjoyable mechanic or not does not matter. Is it balanced? Yes? Then there's other things they need to fix. Before they make any changes to the shield they first have to change the tank itself, they could change the entire vehicle system to make the tanks more unique and true to their factions, they could make the tanks balanced without their abilities, this is all true and these are things I support. But those aren't what you're advocating here. You're advocating the shield be changed. So until the vanguard itself is changed your demands for the shield to be changed will be shot down as it's a nerf without cause.
    • Up x 1
  6. Paragon Exile

I play all three factions, so why would I want to sabotage the team I play with on a regular basis?
  7. Paragon Exile

I want a fun game. Altering the shield to be more proactive instead of reactive would make the game more fun from my perspective.

Aim for the center mass of the Magrider, and unless they are quite far away their awful side-side motion won't be able to dodge it. Again, magburner requires you expose your weaker armor to disengage.

We have the stronger secondaries to compensate for our poorer primaries.

Useless one everything but the Eidolon.

We also have bright teal accents and glowing weapons :p

So we're arguing about nothing and in fact agree? Interesting.
  8. Shatters

Shield is only usefull when you are taking enough damage to be able to die. Which wont happen alot if you are a good driver. In general you want to flank and hit them from behind without them noticing or without them being able to do anything about it, in which case the shield has 0 use untill you get attacked yourself. Not saying the shield isnt usefull (because its really strong), but saying the shield is "always usefull" is a moot point, especially for better players.
  9. Paragon Exile

Dude, come on and cut the crap. This is an FPS, everyone drops like flies in this game regardless of skill level. Klypto, Alarox and Eskimo are no exception, even though they are really talented.

Why does the NC have the only heavy tank? Based on this thread, the Magrider is a tank hunter and the Prowler is a mobile artillery piece.
  10. Colt556

We all want a fun game, but one man's fun is another man's unfun.. probably could phrase that better but eh. You haven't given any ideas to make the game more fun, you've just demanded nerfs to something you dislike. That doesn't fly.

On paper this is true, but in practice it's not.. sounds almost like your "balance by numbers" argument, eh?

And to me that's unfair and unfun, thus it should be changed. I mean that's the logic you're applying in this thread, if I personally find it unfair then it doesn't matter if it's balanced or compensates for other weaknesses, it only matters that I dislike it thus it should change.

I wish this was true. Any non-VS player will freely tell you that vanu are almost perfectly concealed at night because of their natural black camo.

If you agree that things shouldn't be changed just because you personally dislike it, then yeah, we agree.
    • Up x 2
  11. Shatters

Yes and they will not activate the shield when they are not being shot at. My experience in a vanguard is that I am being shot at ~25% of the time. Therefore the shield is doing nothing 75% of the time. And in that 75% additional DPS or mobility would help me out more then more HP which I wont be needing anyway, because I am not being shot at.

I am not saying nobody dies, but the vanguard shield is only usefull when you are in danger. And if you are an experienced tank driver, you can stay out of danger for some time while still being able to put hurt on enemys trough flanking/superior positioning ect.

The best "tank" in terms of damage sponge in this game is a sunderer anyway, so all factions have acces to the best tank. And it is called 3 different factions. Vanu have the "tank hunter", TR have the "artillery and destroyer of infantry" and the NC have the "close quarter brawler". I might as well ask why the vanu has the only "tank hunter" and the TR the only "artillery". They are all different and have different strenghts, yet they are performing on pretty much the same levels, balance-wise.
  12. SenEvason

Is there a video of that some where? It'd be great if there was.
  13. Paragon Exile

Never asked for nerfs, asked for adjustments. Truthfully I don't have the faintest clue on what would make the shield "Better", and my original "2500 EHP, disabled guns" idea would probably be awful :D I do know, however, that proactive (Jetpack, Resist Shields, AoE Heal) and not reactive (NMG, current vanguard shield) abilities have a higher skill ceiling and lower skill floor by their very nature.

Actually, it's physically impossible for a Magrider to dodge well-aimed shots with its strafe within a rather large radius. It just doesn't have the time to accelerate. You're confusing math with statistics gained by math.

I would never force a change based on my opinion alone, it would need to be a broad consensus. If the consensus was against me, I would be forced to accept it or stop playing, which is unlikely.

I have no issue tracking VS players while playing TR or NC, and doritos make the whole issue somewhat moot. Then again, I've made mashing Q a habit.

Glad to hear it.
    • Up x 1
  14. Hoki

I was surprised to see the counter argument of literally every vanguard driver.

"We need shield because of prowler damage."

Nevermind the rest of the ******* game, they need it because of the P2-120!!!

IDDQD some more and tell yourself that you're good. :rolleyes:
  15. Paragon Exile

I hadn't thought of it that way, Ill have to mull over that a bit.

Another fair point.

I'm having trouble accepting what I said before to an extent. I'll reconsider what has been said, and possibly find a new position on these issues.
    • Up x 1
  16. Juno

I am sorry but what? :rolleyes:
    It seems nobody is going to be happy until the Vanguard completely loses it shield. Yet we got Magriders flying to the moon, and Prowlers with double the DPS of any tank (while not even anchored, and yes I did the math).
    The shield is helpful, but it feels pretty dang useless. I got 2 times in the today where I popped it to save me from C4, and 2 C4 killed me through the shield with full health.
    It doesn't need nerfed again.
  17. Colt556

Oh there's plenty of ways to make the vanguard shield better, nobody has said otherwise. We're just telling you that as the game currently is, changing the shield is out of the question. Before anything can be done to the shield they first have to make the base tank better, then we can discuss changes to the shield based off the tank's base performance.

If it requires a broad consensus why are you still arguing here? For every one guy who feels the shield should be changed five more come in and say otherwise, so while that's not representative of the entire community, at the very least few people on the forums seem to agree with you. Broad consensus is the shield is fine given the current status of tanks.

Gotta spot them before you can Q spot them. I've seen people mention how they actually have to rely on their fancy headsets rather than their fancy monitors to figure out if vanu are neabry because you just can't bloody see them. But again, I aint gonna demand a change, although they really should get their purple and teal color scheme back.

"We need shield because of prowler damage." - Said no one ever.
  18. Paragon Exile

That's so ugly though :(
  19. Colt556

And blue and yellow isn't? Better to have the vanu be their rightful teal and purple instead of black and near-black purple with a tiny little strip of dark teal somewhere on their bodies.
  20. Paragon Exile

Blue and gold man. The colors of corporate nationalism freedom!