Vanguard shield still insanely overpowered. Make it frontal armor only with more damage absorbtion.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RaskolBandit, Aug 8, 2014.

1. RaskolBandit

The fact that Vanguards can easily destroy Magriders and lightnings even when they have been taken by surprise on the flanks is ridiculous. The nerf to the Vanguard shield did not address the issue and did literally zero to Lightning vs Vanguard as it still requires 2 AP rounds to remove the shield, more than enough time for you to get destroyed after taking a Vanguard by surprise.

No other tank in the game can do this and it takes much of the skill out of good placement and flanking manoeuvres. To address this issue the Vanguard shield should either have a long ramp up time, or it should only absorb damage to the front armor, OR prevent firing of the main cannon. At the moment Vanguard shield is just far too powerful in a 1 v 1 situation which is most of the engagements on Briggs with low server population.
    • Up x 12
  2. LIKE A BOSS!

Vanguards are fine and Magriders need a nerf. I mean they can STRAFE AT 20KPH!!!!
    • Up x 10
  3. Klypto

Clearly this is the type of gameplay SOE wants to promote as we can see through the Heavy Shield and MAX.

That's almost as fast as infantry can run! TOO OP!
    • Up x 6
  4. Flag

Don't forget the gun and camera aren't offset horizontally... Well not that it matters but it got to count for something!
  5. Xervous

Well it would matter on the magrider if you could hide behind terrain... but obviously that's a balance feature on the mag...
  6. Paragon Exile

Shield should disable the main gun, or make the tank more sluggish. Right now the shield is basically a stimpack for the vanguard.
    • Up x 5
  7. FinePool

I really hope you're joking...
    • Up x 2
  8. LIKE A BOSS!

Every downside of the Magrider is actually a feature/strength. Low DPS? Allows you to steal the kill before the other 3 guys kill the enemy because they couldn't kill him fast enough. Lower velocity allows me to shoot over hills (lel).
    • Up x 6
  9. LIKE A BOSS!

I was.
    • Up x 2
  10. Foxirus

Again and again and again.. How many times must I say it. The ONLY way the vanguard shield is EVER going to be balanced is if it becomes a RESIST SHIELD. Meaning that it mitigates 45% of ALL DAMAGE TYPES. This is the only way to stop it from being an iwin button. *edit* I suddenly remembered a time when two lights put 4 bricks of c4 on a vanguard. Its shield went under 6 seconds.
    • Up x 7
  11. Paragon Exile

LOL
    Everyone in my home is awake now and thinks I'm having a seizure, thank you so much.
    • Up x 1
  12. LIKE A BOSS!

Many have suggested this. I actually like it this idea. But I don't even think I have 10 minutes in a Vanguard so take my opinions as a grain of salt haha.
  13. LIKE A BOSS!

Sadly enough I've actually seen people use that in a argument to justify the magrider having lower shell velocity and calling it a "perk".
  14. minhalexus

Funny, I actually run out of my shield now unlike before the nerf.
    It blocks 2000 damage now which is easily breakable by a 2/2 MBT.

I do agree with your idea however, make it a resist shield, make it last longer or recharge faster.
    • Up x 6
  15. Paragon Exile

Hope you called them out on that load of horse ****.
  16. DrBash00

Ähhm... NO! are you serious?
    1. Get your tank FULL skilled out, AND get a good Gunner + a good gun. If you have this look again and you will see they where just better certet as your tank.
    2. As you indicadet, the Prowler is better in big numbers, and with suprise effect a vaynguard doesn´t have a chance against a good prowler
    3. If you done nr. 1 try it with this strategy -> Fight the vaynguard, as soon as his shield pops up let your gunner get out of your tank and repair, this way you win your 1 v 1.

Btw. i am TR and VS player, i do NOT play NC but i dont see the vaynguard as a op tank, it is the one with the most style and tank feeling... but not op ;-)
    • Up x 2
  17. vanu123

#Omniburnerpls
    • Up x 2
  18. Colt556

This thread was clearly made by someone who has no idea how tanks work, they simply took a magrider and got mad when a vanguard killed them.

In almost every way the vanguard is the weakest tank. The prowler and magrider do AI and AT duty better. Have you ever seen a a tank hunting prowler utilize it's anchored mode? You can kill off tanks before they even have a chance to turn around. And then of course the magrider can dance around making it a pain to shoot. Now that's not to say the vanguard can't compete, it obviously can, but it has lower DPS than even a non-anchored prowler, it has virtually identical hp to a prowler and magrider (I believe it can only take one additional shot to the front, and has the same HP values on the sides/rear). To complain that it's shield does it's job is hilariously ********.

If you want to nerf the shield maybe you should nerf the magburner. I mean the shield helps prolong a fight but a good tanker can deal with that and still kill the vanguard. However no matter how skilled a vanguard driver is there's nothing he can do if the magrider just magburns away. The shield prolongs a fight, magburn is a get out of jail free card if you're losing or taken by surprise. There are few places on any continent where you'd be too far to magburn to cover after all.

But I digress, despite how my post may seem I don't advocate a nerf or buff to any of these features. The vanguard could use slight tuning, very slight tuning, too slight for SOE to handle, but beyond that all three tanks work relatively similarly. Numbers don't lie after all. And numbers show that vanguards aren't getting anymore kills than either of the other two tanks, nor are they winning more tank battles.
    • Up x 12
  19. miraculousmouse

Bro i was once running my vanguard with NAR (no max stealth as i finally got today) and a magrider with full stealth drops behind me. Boom almost half of my health is gone from its fpc and the halberd. Popping my shield didnt even help, they quickly out dpsed it and i pretty much looked pretty before dying.
    • Up x 4
  20. Paragon Exile

It has an invulnerability shield.

That alone is a big damn deal.
    • Up x 2