Vanguard shield still insanely overpowered. Make it frontal armor only with more damage absorbtion.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RaskolBandit, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Paragon Exile

This thread is a classic example of "Balancing by the numbers" instead of "Balancing by the reality". Seen it many times, it always fails hard.

Ahh well, it's just a quibble.
  2. Colt556

Probably because numbers are reality. How do you tell if something is overpowered? Because bad tank drivers get killed by it? No. Because that tank is performing superior to other tanks. If the shield was an overpowered piece of equipment the numbers would reflect that, as numbers reflect reality. Look at the PPA, everyone said it was OP and the numbers reflected that, PPA was the best AI weapon in the game, as stated by the numbers, as stated by reality. Numbers don't lie, if the numbers show that vanguards perform subpar compared to the other tanks, then they aren't OP, if they aren't OP they don't need a nerf. These are very simple facts that people like you just ignore because they don't fit YOUR "reality".
    • Up x 5
  3. ronjahn

SOE please being back vehicle forums.
    • Up x 2
  4. Aegie

Simple, an overall better tank that needs to rely less on the shield.

In short, better performance.
    • Up x 2
  5. WTSherman

I meant it has higher burst and sustain than the Enforcer, the other secondary I was comparing it to. ;) Another takeaway from those numbers: cert reload speed on your Saron! The Saron gains soooo much from reload speed it's not even funny.

But yes, essentially no matter what tank you're in as long as you have an AV secondary and a gunner you shouldn't have any problem with the shield.
  6. Paragon Exile

Unfortunately, that is not the case.

The math provided only shows to what effect something is used in general, it has no bearing on the "legitimacy" or "Fairness" of something as judged by players.
  7. Colt556

Just because some players judge it as "unfair" doesn't mean it actually is. Players are notorious for being wrong, I mean just look at how hard the VS players defended the PPA and said "oh it's perfectly balanced!" or how people STILL complain about the scatmax despite the TR/VS maxes having the same TTK against infantry in CQC. People die, they get mad, and they look for the first thing to blame. That doesn't mean anything's actually broken, it just means people can't accept that they themselves screwed up.

There is nothing wrong with the vanguard shield, it's the only thing keeping a subpar tank in the race against the other two and is easy to beat for anyone that isn't a scrub. Instead of getting mad and raging because you lost, focus that energy into getting better so you don't lose next time. You don't see me coming on here and crying whenever a magrider magburns away and I lose because of it, nor do I come here and cry when a prowler sneaks up behind me with stealth, anchors himself, and absolutely demolishes me before I can react. These features aren't broken, I just made a mistake and failed to do what I needed to do.
    • Up x 1
  8. DorianOmega

Vanguard shield is fine, anyone who says otherwise has yet to make a convincing case here that doesn't completely ignore the other factions as if the NC are some OP faction or just want to gain an unfair advantage....
  9. KnightCole

Vanguard Shield: Absorbs 5000dmg before breaking, mitigates 50% of incoming damage...its still all around protection. cool down reduced to 45s by default, 5s per upgrade.

All Vanguard guns reloads decreased by 0.5s
  10. makrome

i might be intoxinated but all i read is:
    NC is still to hard to farm uninterrupted, pls fix.
    • Up x 1
  11. Paragon Exile

Or it could be a sign that the perceived injustice isn't balanced properly, or if it is, that the balance is irrelevant because it is infuriating.

Also;

lol

A sudden boost of 2000 health is pretty overpowered. And while the vanguard may be lackluster in certain respects, the overall package is broken and unfun to face off against.

You have a worrying habit of making long-winded responses to very simple topics.
  12. MetalCotton

Didn't a fair amount of your responses nearly match his in length?
  13. DorianOmega

explain in detail why you feel this way, these short sided responses to shoot down someone is just making you lose credibility, i could easily say magburner is also an OP and unfun trait to go against but saying that alone in no way makes it true.
    • Up x 4
  14. Paragon Exile

Make a compelling argument for it then.

You can't.
  15. Colt556

Pot calling the kettle black. You have yet to make a compelling argument for how the shield is unfair and infuriating. As others have said you can take out the shield with a single shot to the rear almost, hardly game breaking.
    • Up x 5
  16. DorianOmega

lol, so now you just point the finger at me, like a 12 year old,

Im not saying its OP or UP, you are and have yet to make a compelling argument as to why, Colt555 made a much much more compelling argument then you did, even if his response was not to your liking in being a little longer, its still more valid then "I know more then you do" as is what you've presented the whole time here,

"This thread is a classic example of "Balancing by the numbers" instead of "Balancing by the reality". Seen it many times, it always fails hard.

Might want to give some examples here dude....
    • Up x 2
  17. Flag

It's more that the enforcer gains notoriously little from reload certs. :p
    And if you thought the saron gained a lot, the Halberd gains more.

Also the shield, while nowhere near a perfect solution isn't the atrociously OP thing it used to be.
  18. Shatters

I had the magrider cornered, no tank could normally escape.
    Then he magburned over the cliff where i could not follow him, he repaired and killed me from above.
    Magburner OP!

Jokes aside, I havnt seen a single argument from your side either, you are just claiming stuff with backing anything up.

And stuff like "overpowered" and "not fun" are objective. Therefore anybody can claim its either of those without being wrong, in theory, since it is objective.
    • Up x 1
  19. WTSherman

"Balanced" Vanguard shield according to whiners:

Tank glows bright blue for 3 seconds, disabling gun and reducing movement speed by 90%.
    180 second cooldown.
    Ranks increase duration by 2 seconds and reduce cooldown by 1 second for 200/400/800/2000 certs.
    No other effects. Does not prevent any damage or actually do anything helpful.

Alternatively: tank immediately self-destructs, granting kill credit to the last enemy that damaged you. Ranks increase velocity of debris.

:p
    • Up x 2
  20. Paragon Exile

Never said it was game-breaking, I said it was stupid, and the tank should be good without it. A vanguard can roll up anywhere it pleases, pop the shield, tank a shot or two and retreat having done significant damage to its opponents while having taken none itself. That one thing makes it beyond useful for smashing Sunderers when only infantry are there. I understand that in practice it is not the be-all end-all, but I object to the very premise of its existence.

The first comment about the resist shield is probably the best route, so it's not just an emergency health potion.