Tomcats (a2a locks) op and fun-breaking

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jawarisin, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jawarisin

You're still welcome to take me up on my offer. And I'll also make you a new one. I can ask 5 other pilots "If they think lock ons are OP". I'm even ready to list their names first so that you know whom I'll ask, the whole forum will be able to confirm they are well known pilots. Or I could stream it, go in teamspeaks with pilots and ask there.

If at least 4 of those 5, though I'm pretty sure 5/5 will, say they are OP/game breaking or anything similar, you'll say "I look up to my master, Jawarisin, whom I shall never doubt because he speaks the absolute truth." And you'll quote this, put it in your sig. And I'll do the same. I'm not going to spend any more time on you otherwise, you know I'm right and you're just scared to pick me up on my offers. You find the most illogical/dumb argument, I'm done trying to reason with a rock.
  2. MahouFairy

5 Skyknights? Unfortunately, 5 out of thousands of players isn't a good sample size. You ought to have learnt that in school right? :eek:
    No, please don't be another pot calling the kettle black.
    • Up x 2
  3. Jawarisin

I shant try to reason with a rock. I shant try to reason with a rock. I shant try to reason with a rock. I shant try to reason with a rock. I shant try to reason with a rock. I shant try to reason with a rock. I shant try to reason with a rock. I shant try to reason with a rock. I shant try to reason with a rock. I shant try to reason with a rock. I shant try to reason with a rock. I shant try to reason with a rock. I shant try to reason with a rock. I shant try to reason with a rock.

This is my mantra
    • Up x 1
  4. MahouFairy

Come, I'd even give you a thumbs up for this. Better luck next time.
  5. Jake the Dog

Umm... Yeah... You can look at my stats pretty easy but you see a flight time, score per hour and other little things, nothing that implies that I get shot down by missiles alot.

Are you one of those people that measure skill by kdr? I main medic on the ground nowadays unless Im on my low br vanu account...

You also do realize that these battles are supposed to be a 2 way street where both sides can kill the other...

And I'll restate an earlier post hard counter would imply you A. get the kill B. Doesn't take you till next tuesday to get.

I have no idea what Im talking about because theres no way I could know anything with 93 hours of flight time (that the player tracker is tracking), 15+ total days of tanking, and everything else being infantry of doing anything...

QQ a bit more. You're like the tankers that want C4 nerfed because its not a skill weapon. I would know Im a tanker...

However, if you actually wanted to change minds on the forums be polite.

Also if tomcats are so OP why do I still get shot down with my A2A loadout? Rotary and tomcats (thats right I have them).

My next question has to be this: Do you even use them?

Your answer "why ofc THEY sooOOoooo OP,!"
    Or "No! I shall never use such a nub weapon! Skyknights forever!"

If we get rid of tomcats get rid of C4 because Im more skilled than the guy who dropped that c4

Or maybe there should be no ground lock weapons because its such a skill less weapon.

Get over it this is just a post that says you have a failure to adapt when you have the exact same thing on your faction worth 500 certs. If you're going to be a baby about something equip and use them.
  6. Jake the Dog

I shant try to argue with people who fail to adapt to the meta. I shant try to argue with people who fail to adapt to the meta.I shant try to argue with people who fail to adapt to the meta.I shant try to argue with people who fail to adapt to the meta.I shant try to argue with people who fail to adapt to the meta.I shant try to argue with people who fail to adapt to the meta.I shant try to argue with people who fail to adapt to the meta.I shant try to argue with people who fail to adapt to the meta.I shant try to argue with people who fail to adapt to the meta.I shant try to argue with people who fail to adapt to the meta.
    • Up x 1
  7. Ballto21

higby stated that he thought coyotes should be that skill equalizer in CQC dogfighting, and he thought of locks as more like slow moving easy to dodge torpedoes. i dont have the link but ill look for it and post it when i find it
  8. CNR4806

Battlefield-style lock-on missiles are anything but easy to dodge without countermeasures. That guy need to take a look at Ace Combat or any of its clones to see what "easy to dodge" means.

Good thing that guy got sacked.
  9. SavageBacon

Battlefield planes fly like actual planes though... Air in this game is far less restricted by the laws of physics that govern flight.
  10. Jake the Dog

Instead of arguing could you just lay out in a nice bulleted list of the reasons why?

Also try using oracle stat tracker, if you do use it you might get more answers
    -The default weapon is pulled 8x more than the A2A missiles
    -Which would imply that a bunch of nubs use it.
    - Yet it has double the Aircraft KPU
    For every day theres about 300 people (across all servers mind you) in total that pull A2A missiles, double that for the AA nose gun, and times it by 8 for how many default gun picks.

Stats state its not OP

(only 90 of which are BR 100)
  11. Jawarisin

coming from someone with lower stats in just about every single aspect, i find that funny :3
  12. Jake the Dog

Congratz, i know people with better stats that suck too
    • Up x 5
  13. TheDarSin

Yeah its pretty easy to cherry pick stats. Also as a lib pilot, my stats will always be meh.
  14. Maljas23

OP, you should just give this up. What you are trying to do will not happen. Tomcats have been in the game since the beginning. The chance of them changing so dramatically, is next to none at this point.

The truth of the issue is that this is really a non-issue being blown out of proportion. The reason Tomcats kill air is because they were designed to kill air, much like how the Banshee is designed to kill infantry.

If you can't deal with them with FS, then swap to Flares. Two things happen when you do:

A. You can easily find out where they are based on the missile's path via your radar.

B. You have one of the few actual hard counters to a weapon, in the whole game.

If you refuse to change to the weapon in question's hard counter, the problem is on your end.

There is nothing at all wrong with Tomcats.
    • Up x 2
  15. Jawarisin

There's actually no hard counter to tomcats. Hence why higby realised they were OP. I was going to say something slightly offensive, but since you've been civil, I'll keep it at this and tell you what has been said a billion times: FLARES ARE NOT a hard counter. They counter ground locks and that's it.

I'm a lib pilot myself, keeping dem stats up though. No excuses there ^^. Also, I didn't cherry pick, I simply said "all". And I'm pretty sure I'm right, or 90% right at least.
  16. MahouFairy

Coming from a skyknight who refuses to adapt to this "advanced" warfare of the 29th century and cries like a baby, I find you cute :3

No, seriously. That is not a good point to argue about. It's like saying someone who doesn't make it big in life has no right to reprimand you.
  17. Jawarisin

Someone who has finance problems shouldn't be telling others how to manage theirs. That's a better analogy.
  18. MahouFairy

You know there is this thing called "personal experience" right?
  19. Jawarisin

Yep, that's why it's an extremely variable thing that can go from being useful to being useless. Usually, you can tell if there was anything interesting in that "personal experience" by looking over where they are at right now.
  20. zaspacer

Hegeteus, poster Jawarisin is somewhat biased (he is anti-Tomcat) so I will also answer for you as well. I am a long time pilot who does not use Tomcat very much, but I am pro-Tomcat.

Q: Why are Tomcats a 6 forum page issue?
    A: Tomcats (A2AM) and Coyotes are Wingmounts that allow lower skilled ESF players to have a better chance at killing higher skilled ESF players. ESF duels rely mostly on Nosegun, Tomcat, or Coyote. Nosegun requires much more Movement and Aim and Leading and Targeting Range skill to be effective.

It is unclear how much of an edge Tomcats (or Coyotes) give high skill players vs. each other. And many higher skilled players don't want to use A2AM themselves, because (1) they themselves don't have a problem in most ESF vs. ESF duels (where the opponent is typically lower skill), and (2) using them prevents access to more versatile Wingmount options.

Tomcats can also be used by hunting packs of ESF called "Gank Squads" to defeat almost any solitary Air target. This is very powerful. NC Reaver Gank Squads often use non-Tomcat Loadouts because Reavers can have the top speed and don't need the Tomcat vs. opponents that try to outrun them. VS Scythe Gank Squads often have to use the Tomcat because the Scythe is the slowest ESF and the Tomcat enables them to deal with ESFs that try to outrun them.

Q: Why not use the flares, are they somehow inefficient?
    A: There are two problems with Flares
    1. Flares Are Too Weak vs. A2AM
    They don't have a long enough "invulnerabtiliy" window vs. A2AM. Flares works vs. G2A LockOns because the Pilot can apply the Flare invulnerability effect and then leave the area, and the G2A Lokon user becomes out of range for a follow-up LockOn attempt. But the A2AM user has the speed to keep up with the target, so they can maintain range and resume LockOn attempts after the invulnerability effect ends. So Flares ends up being effective vs. 1 A2AM attempt, and the Cool Down will not resolve until after the duel is over.
    2. Fire Supression Is Too Good
    Fire Suppression can be used to heal an ESF 33+%, which is about the damage of 1 A2AM. So players can use Fire Supression and have the same impact vs. A2AM as using Flares. Fire Suppression is also MUCH more usable than Flares because it is great vs. non-LockOn damage sources too. Almost every good non-AI pilot uses Fire Suppression because it is so good.

ESF Flares could be tweaked to be more effective vs. A2AM (and Coyotes, which also LockOn). And this could potentially provide an "answer" to A2AMs.

The ESF Flare invulnerability window effect could be extended on the effect vs. A2AM and Coyotes. The invulnerability window could be set to blocks new lock-ons for 10-15 seconds (or more) vs. Air based Lockons.

It is likely that many higher skilled players would object to this change, because they themselves don't want to give up the move versatile Utility option of Fire Suppression.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.