Tomcats (a2a locks) op and fun-breaking

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jawarisin, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MahouFairy

You aren't even answering my questions in the first place. What does nerfing A2A have to do with hurting A2G "farmers"? I look insane? See who is raging here hahaah LMAO. Grenades too, take very little skill and can wipe out scores of infantry. How about we nerf them as well? They should have as much splash and damage as a single Pounder HEG.

I don't even use lock ons in the first place. My trial with them was so horrible that I chose ABs instead. And was I ever shot down by A2A? I can even count how many times I got shot down with A2A missiles with 1 hand. Shows something about them right? If anything, they need a buff. I can tell you that 99% of the time the missile flies at me, I get hit by it, because I don't use flares. That is, if I ever get that "LOCK: AIR" sign in the first place. I don't see that. I just had a 3 hour session, and no locks at all when I flew. Shows something right? That weapon is utter **** to begin with. It isn't even worth spending your time buying them.
  2. VulphluxTR

grenades have a warning symbol and a timer giving you time to run away, you can complain abou grenades when they seek towards you. May i ask how much flight time you have? and also your in air k/d?
  3. Jake the Dog

Dash I'd have to disagree with you on this one, I'm not the best of pilots, and thats the same with alot of my friends. For the most part the only frustrating missile I run into is coyotes, and tbh I use tomcats. Why? Because if me and 2 buddies did AB tanks and guns we'd get wrecked by some ace, who's spent a year flying that aircraft. Before tomcats, it was pretty easy for an ace to solo a small group of pilots, and when people don't have them they get solo'd by aces. I know I was there for beta and back then they weren't to reliable because the missiles could be out turned...

Most br1s don't stand a chance with just their guns. The only missile I have a gripe about is coyotes and how it completely discourages using the nosegun completely (and how there's no real counter to them).

Granted a great way to learn to fight in your esf is to just use guns and AB tank, when you throw in lock-ons it makes it so you can actually land a shot on the ace. (unless he's engaging you in anything thats not a hover duel, and if I see a hover duel you can bet your a** Im throwing a tomcat at you.)

I think these problems with people getting shot down by other people with buddies is a simple problem of they brought moar dudes than you.
    • Up x 1
  4. Jake the Dog

and for libs as well good sir, because tomcats are one of the best ways to down a lib rn.
  5. MahouFairy

So you are saying that lock-ons have no timer and warning? :eek:

I can tell you that my air kd is pretty ****, and most of the deaths are from noseguns and flak. Of my entire history, I can say that I've only died to a2a lock ons less than 10 times, because no one uses them. I can't get killed by them even if I wanted to.
    • Up x 1
  6. VulphluxTR

no im saying grenades dont just destroy people without warning they have the built in countermeasures of an indicator, and lockons do not have a timer no, they blow up on impact.

don't take what i say out of context. dont strawman me.
  7. MahouFairy

They have a beep beep beep of a lock on warning, they have a missile travel time, and there is a direct counter called the flare. That is already a gigantic countermeasure.
    • Up x 2
  8. Haquim

Are you serious?
    You get a huge warning, both a blinking red sign and an extremely annoying warning sound.

What else do you want?
    A star trek style ship computer going:
    "Warning, we are being locked on. Our survival cannot be guaranteed. It would be prudent to take action."
    "Warning, enemy laser-guided missile incoming. Impact imminent. Expected damage: 40% hull integrity"
    • Up x 5
  9. VulphluxTR

yes we have already previously agreed that they have warnings as do grenades. however i said missles have no timer implying we are talking about the detonation timer of the grenade as that is what YOU chose as a comparison. and i believe the direct counter you speak of is in fact named "IR Flares". i never said there isnt flight time to compensate for. but even if you run flares over fire supp and you flare the missle, if the guy has lock ons and fire supp, he has essentially a 24% health advantage anyway.
  10. Jake the Dog

I look for the red blip on the radar which gives out the missile position, and if you look close enough you can get the general area the lock came from. Fire flares turn around and gun him down.
    • Up x 1
  11. VulphluxTR

yes i know you get a warning i never said you didnt, and no i dont want this weird star trek thing.
    where did this slippery slope attack come from (look it up if you dont know what i mean)
  12. MahouFairy

At the end of the day, it depends on his loadout. If he uses A2A loadouts, chances are that he is going to kill you in an air to air duel, and rightfully so because you may be running rockets. If you also have an air to air loadout (in this case coyotes) you will win him in a dog fight. Because it'll be two guns against one, considering that tomcats don't work well in dogfights.
  13. VulphluxTR

me too... except the ps4 has no countermeasures atm... which makes this harder but i still succeed 90% of the time
  14. VulphluxTR

or they could just make these no skill things bad, because you shouldnt win fights because you bought a weapon. you should not have noseguns and lock ons.
  15. Jake the Dog

Ouch, I would say something absurd like pc master race... but I want a PS4 tbh XD, but yeah I hope they get you guys your stuff.
  16. MahouFairy

They are already bad enough. Bad enough for me to wonder why no one has been using them lately. Bad enough for me to want to get kill by air lock ons for a change because I
    I'm tired of getting killed by noseguns.
  17. Jake the Dog

Also you guys do realize he has to keep the center of your aircraft in a tiny circle? Which is impossible at close range... and if you fly like a drunken fool, its pretty damn hard to lead for the proper shot... Dont dodge the missile dodge the lock...
  18. Slamz

Remove Tomcat.
    Make every ground vehicle weapon able to aim up.
    Increase damage done to ESFs by small arms.
    Make Galaxies and Liberators slightly vulnerable to small arms.

Let's try that.

The only counter to air right now is more air. You can't reduce that counter without putting it somewhere else.
  19. Jake the Dog

umm no to your suggestions that is. They're bad. While I wouldnt mind a better angle on my tank, esfs are plagued by small arms and small arms alone arent enough to help the lib problems.

A better solution is to get rid of fire sup on aircraft and make armored ground vehicles (tanks/sunderers) immune to the machine gun fire and coyotes (if a marauder/armor piercing flechetes/flaming balls of plasma don't do anything then neither should your tiny machine guns). Increase armor resistance to lolpods, decrease hornet damage to 1000-1200 and only one at a time (and possibly dumbfire), make the ranger do a metric s*** ton of damage at close range, buff the valk, require coyotes to get a lock before missile spam, give libs varying armor like an MBT (not directional however) with slim to none on the cockpit and buff flares.
    Then yeah you will see a very different air game and game in general.
  20. SavageBacon

Tomcats are a reliable ranged alpha strike... Anything else proposed to take their place should minimally perform this function because realistically the nosegun at range works if the target is hovering/cruising on top of the fact that it doesn't force you into a purely A2A build.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.