This is how SOE nerfed the NV to death

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GRiMtox, Jun 20, 2013.

1. ShumaKun

I have 11 NVs, 550 certs waiting for recert
  2. Admiralty

I think the stats may have been changed:

I got off around 20 minutes ago so I may be wrong, but i remember the NV having a range of 500 meters now as per description with the Thermal having 350m. Not sure if it was always like this, but just adding my two cents..
  3. jdono67894

50 certs isn't much?

NV on 2x Bulldogs for my Sunderer
    NV on my HEAT Vanguard
    NV on my HE Vanguard
    NV on my AP Vanguard
    NV on my enforcer Vanguard
    NV on my HE lightning
    NV on my HEAT lightning
    NV on my fury ATV
    NV on my rotary reaver
    NV on my rocketpods reaver
    NV on my enforcer Harasser

12 x 50 = 600 certs which is definitely not nothing, 600 certs could get me thermals on 3 of those weapons and make them actually useful again.
  4. Vortok

If you used your vehicle that had NV for any length of time, the optic had already paid for itself pre-patch. You got your use out it.

Now that NV isn't highlighting enemies, they can tune the color/contrast to help it better fit... whatever role it has now.

Also, the range that Thermal draws terrain got buffed, making it a bit easier to see the shape of cover that guy is hiding behind instead of mostly shooting at glowing targets against a black background. Air Thermal got significantly better.
  5. FigM

How much did they extend the NV range to make up for this?
  6. Kirseva

This is what NV should have been from the start.

But at the beginning of the year, poor old me didn't know any better at the time and went with NV because it was cheaper.
    However if poor old me knew that this was the eventual fate of NV, then I would have went with thermal.
  7. Puppy

Night isn't dark enough for these scopes...
  8. Kedjoran

When it's actually easier to see people with NV OFF then when it's ON that's kinda broke.
  9. Keiichi25

Terms of Service always outlines information to the customer of what to expect. In this situation, the game experience will always change due to the nature of the game itself and the necessity to make it work the way it is intended.

An example of this is that their due dilligence is to give the customer information ahead of time of certain changes that will affect the customer. A prime example is when Everquest did a major engine change, they informed users of Windows 95 and 98 that due to the engine change, their ability to support Windows 95-98 will be dropped and urged players to switch to Windows XP due to the new engine's requirements.

These changes were made to improve the game experience for all players, however, not all players were able to really upgrade their machines or support Windows XP on their computers.

At the same time, the most common issue that happens in computer games is the fact that we never have 'standardized hardware'. While PCs should have compatibility, what has traditionally happened is that there are always a driver, a card implementation or chipset codeset not working the same as others (Prime example, earlier AMD Processors 'cheated' on some calculations, which caused issues with some code that required a very specific patch for games to handle it properly, when Intel Processors had no problems.)

This is not the because they are not customer friendly, but the simple fact that today's computer gaming is often harder to support or have a game that will work flawlessly on computers due to so many different system setups and the inability to do similiar setups.

Now, if you want Customer Unfriendly support. Apple forcefed the world on how they were completely 'Virus Free' for years. When Macs started getting popular again and more people went to them, hackers started making new viruses that targeted the Mac OSX.

What was more entertaining, was when Mac users called Genius Bars to help them with the few Mac OS X viruses that started becoming issues for Macs, Apple's response was "Nope, can't help you, this is not cover by apple care."

You will note, that on their site... They no longer claim Macs are 'Virus Free' now. They had to take it down because they had to admit there is a chance of getting a virus on a mac, just like you would get on a PC.
  10. Keiichi25

Then take the time to READ the original post. I pointed out earlier people did not bother reading the TOS. In the terms of service, it is stated that by agreeing to this, you accept and were adequately informed certain aspects of the game will change due to the nature of the game itself.

With that agreement, the expectation of 'refund' within the game due to a change within the game is not valid.

You, on the other hand, stated that the character is not 'customer's' property, believing I stated this. I pointed out I never stated it, however, the company would try to make the customer happy in other ways. Then you also stated that they would delete a character due to the nature of the game, as a weak, strawman argument with regards to what I stated about the TOS agreement.

I responded back, by informing you that while they could do whatever they want with an account holder's character, even though it is not an account holder's property, they would hardly do anything with the account short of a violation of the terms of service.

So again, try and READ the post again.
  11. Bearcat

Take your own advice and READ the posts. People are not claiming SOE is in violation of the TOS. I am not claiming SOE is in violation of the TOS.

People want cert refunds since an item was changed. SOE has frequently done similar things in other games. If enough people complain, I am sure SOE will do as they have done many times previously in other games and make their customers happy in some way. I'm not sure why you think your wannabe SOE rep citing of the TOS is helpful in any way.
  12. Keiichi25

Yes... 600 certs... Which you can also get back in 2 days worth of playing. And I stated also again, had you PAID attention to post, you would only get that back on 3 of the 12 weapons... That is about 1/4 of the original potential and till 'NOT THAT MUCH' when you had your dependance on it on 12 weapons.

I put 200 certs into thermal on one weapon prior to this, used it and found it not doing what people said it would do and wondered why I would bother with Thermal when I got NV that does pretty much the same thing. And this was after they nerfed the viewable range of it. I didn't go crying for a refund. At the same time, I had the Saron HRB, I actually put station cash into it. It changed and a bunch of VS players started griping and complaining about the Saron HRB change from what it was a couple of patches ago to the 6 shot, rapid fire thing it is now, demanding a refund and the official answer was, as it is now... NO REFUND.

While yes, you can outfit 3 of your 12 guns, in the long run, it isn't going to change the fact that, like the change in the Saron HRB, the chances of a refund is not going to happen.
  13. Cryless

it's a futuristic game. they shouldn't have done this to NV!
  14. Goretzu

They should, but they never will.
  15. MykeMichail

Agreed they need to make night darker before Night Vision will be worth using again.

Even on medium to high settings, night as it currently stands really isn't that dark.

I'd love to see those pitch black nights from beta (something I've only ever seen in videos).
  16. Larolyn

I do not for one iota of a second believe that this warrants a refund. You invested in them and the investment paid off in dividends for months. How many easy kills did you get from the 50 cert investment? More than likely you earnt back the cost of investment ten fold. I certainly have and now I am using thermals.

As I invested in thermals already thinking "well it costs 200, it has to better" I am now happy that that investment is finally paying off. Night vision was a better option for a lower cost. Now it is 2nd rate to thermals. No biggie. You earnt those 50 certs back with the easy to kill highlight everything on the screen for a small investment night vision optics. Move on and deal with it.
  17. Keiichi25

FFS, BEarcat... YOU ARE NOT READING.

I stated, time and time again, the expectation of a refund is stated in the TOS. The TOS states that due to the nature of the game, the user accepts the fact that aspects of the game will change. With this acception, you accept the fact that aspects of the game will change, whether you like it or not. The expectation of a refund based on those changes are basically NULL.

YOU are the one fixated with this foolish belief that I am saying people are believing SOE is violating the TOS. YOU are the one who also made this foolish argument about "Based on this, SOE will delete characters in the sake of changing the aspect of the game." as well. I responded back on how that isn't something they would do. Not once did I infer this claim.

Again... READ what I stated originally. Someone needs to re-read the TOS. The expectation of a refund due to a change in the game should NOT be expected at all. Regardless of how we feel entitled to it, we all agreed on the TOS that the game experience will change accordingly in the game.
    • Up x 1
  18. Voiidd

Well, I kinda liked the NV scopes. On guns, at least for my playstyle it was far superior to the other scopes. Yes, the range is limited but with NC weapons you can't really hit and except to kill someone beyond the NVs visual range, unless the other guy is afk or under heavy fire he can run away and hide.
    As for tanks it merely evened the ground on close quarters but seeing as the thermal is supposed to do just that, can't really argue there. It'd be great to have the tanks have the same bright NV effect as on guns though even without the highlight, otherwise its just a scope nobody will ever put on a vehicle at its current sorry condition.
    It would also be great to have a gun thermal scope to throw certs into now that the NV one has been nerfed, preferable without the 1x sway, that's kinda ridiculous really. I guess the delayed effect and the fact it no longer highlights infantry as it used to would've been enough of a "balance".
  19. biterwylie

It is now working as intended. Good job SOE.

Now we just need the sun to go down in the game so that you need night vision!
  20. LameFox

There is not a single situation in this game where turning everything from 'kinda dark' to 'kinda dark green' is beneficial to me. The highlight was literally the only use NV had, and in every other way I prefer normal vision.

I logged in today and just played for a while to see if things had improved (they had, sort of, until my SG ceased to do damage again and I went to play a game that works) and testing the NV at night, which you'd think might be its niche, I found it made things harder to see than they otherwise were. Naturally, I assume this means it's Working As Intended.