This is how SOE nerfed the NV to death

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GRiMtox, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Phrygen

its actually a good thing.
  2. sindz

Finally! I can put my 200 cert investment to work and not just kick myself for spending 200 over the 50 cert NV.
    • Up x 1
  3. Phrygen

no they shouldn't.

But i'll tell you what, you lose every cert you got using NV, and then you can have 50 certs back....
    • Up x 2
  4. Ash87

Nooooooo

Things working how they should, because Night vision doesn't highlight people IRL! Nuuuuuuuuu

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  5. Loegi

Why shouldn't they refund? And that's a weird proposition. It's not good practice to radically change things that people have spend time and/or money on, and then not offer them a refund.
  6. Spoprockel

Does it still allow you to see people through smoke grenades?
  7. Spyrius

Sorry to hear that, but please, do not speak for everyone.

Same here. I put my certs into NV but do not regret the nerf IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE LONG AGO.
  8. GraphicJ

If the actual NV screen is THAT dark then I do agree that they went a bit overboard. Last I checked real life NV vision does make darkness a bit brighter (but again this is a video game)....

but still glad that they took out the 'highlighting" away as thermal should do that as it is now.
    • Up x 2
  9. Oheck

Consider it fixed. Took them way too long to do it, so everyone seems to forget NV doesn't read heat signatures. There was nothing differentiating NV from IR except the colors.

They could stand to make it a little brighter overall though.
  10. Loegi

I realize it is fixed, and it should've happened already. But still, changing mechanics that wildly to the point of not having the thing you originally wanted and not offering a refund's bad practice.

The best example for this is the removal of dumbfire from lockons I think. It was necessary, but a lot of people bought those for those 2 functions.
  11. vincent-

I would warrant night vision if night actually meant something. Right now I don't even need it too see the dark.
  12. LynxFury

Far more realistic and there were many threads about thermal not being worth it because it was shorter range than NV while offering no more contrast.

Now there's a good reason to chose between the two, NVs range, or thermals high contrast.

Excellent change.
    • Up x 2
  13. Keiichi25

To be honest, I abused the crap out of NV on vehicles on picking off targets. And by all rights, NV was cheaper than Thermal that there was no real point in putting 200 certs into Thermal when you can pick out targets with NV just as easily.

While it means I need to put about 200 x each weapon system I used... Seriously guys, you want a cert refund of 50 certs per gun... You do realize, that is only 1/4 the cost into Thermal, which means you are not really going to get much back for the 50 certs short of a 1.5x zoom optic improvement for 50 certs. And 50 Certs into anything else would be either 1 ammo cap boost after Level 2, so if you are on a Level 3 or 4 Ammo cap boost on those vehicle weapons, it does NOTHING for you.

Now, one thing not taken into account here... Is optics issues.

Does Smoke obscure you seeing targets in NV like normal optics?

Does weapon flash blind you in NV versus normal optics?

While you don't get the highlight of the targets like you would with thermal, the important aspect now is how much different is NV over normal optics under real fire conditions.
  14. soeguud

clearly in anticipation for SOE's release of SC only super NV
  15. Hoki

looks fine
  16. McToast

Moin

The thing is, NV wasn't nerfed. It was made obsolete, like the flashlight. It's what makes this whole GU stink for me. The change for IRNV on infantry guns... wasn't needed or called for, but I can adapt. But vehicle NV is just completely pointless now. There is NO, absolutely NO reason to use it. It's better to use no optic at all than NV, because you **** your own vision using it. Total crap imho.

Grüße,
    regards,
    the Toast
    • Up x 1
  17. Jezs

I bet it's still exactly the same as it was before on low/medium graphics :rolleyes:

It was pretty stupid before though, use way more certs to get something with a different color and shorter range?
  18. Auto_Bob

Ag
    Agreed. After testing it briefly, its actually harder to see with it than without. If they keep it this way, I hope they atleast remove the range cutoff. As is, it is completely pointless.
    • Up x 1
  19. Auto_Bob

I'm not even crying about the lack of highlighting. I'm crying about the now total loss of contrast. At this point, atleast for me, its easier to see things at night including the terrain with plain vanilla cockpit view than it is with NV. Its actually a downgrade from regular old eyeballs.
  20. Keiichi25

Because, 50 certs hardly really gets you much. And yes, I know... People have a lot of vehicle weapons setup with NV, which means it isn't really 50 certs, but if you want to improve any weapon, you are basically going to be able to boost only 50% or 25% of those weapons with either the 1.75x zoom or the Thermal. And that is assuming that some people spent 50 certs already for the 1.5x zoom optics. The cert refund will only be a 'minor' gain somewhere, but that's it. In the long run, should it change again where night vision allowed say, flashlighting with no visible light... You will all kick yourself for needing to save up 50 certs per weapon to do that bit too.

Technically, the NV should be like the Flashlight, but not giving the user away. But the way it works now, it is like Thermal, as it literally shows off things that is radiating heat, like what Thermal is. NV is suppose to be light amplification, basically making night time seem more like daytime.