The state of PS2 and what I feel must change.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BuzzCutPsycho, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Dinocool

2. SneakyTaffer

[IMG]

I agree with all points and suggestions made by BuzzCutPsycho on the first page (only page I've read). Please, for the love of the game, make these changes.

Especially the lattice link system.
  3. Alb

I agree with most of Buzzie's points, except for the infantry parts. Seems to me that he wants to turn troops into mini-BFR's. Waiting 10 seconds for shields too long for you? Deal with it. It would be nuts otherwise.

However, TTK is much too low in my opinion. Ping differentials don't help with this eather. Both infantry and vehicle health should be raised slightly (think 5 or 10%) across the board. Doing this (I think) could raise the quality of gameplay a bit. Less frustration from near-instant death from some guy you saw come around a corner.
  4. thefinn

tbh I'd like to see something done about rocket spam from aircraft. It really should be a lockon guided rocket instead.

There's a plethora of videos showing people noobing it up with such things and they even laugh the whole time about how ridiculously easy it is - many even pointing out that it should be changed.

I'd love to see more lock-on weaponry, we haven't even got to the point in the so-called futuristic game where we have equiavalents to todays weaponry. Where's the laser guided bombs or AA vehicles with rockets.

The game just needs "more" - variation, vehicles, weapons.
  5. LordMondando

BFR's and ANT's for everyone!

Also most, of the design decisions RE: lattice were brought about by the limitations of technology available to PS1, not because they were good design choices. Namely when you have 400 people max per map, either you funnel them into each other, or no battle.

In many cases then its not 'PS2 is a sequel, therefore what I said' its, PS2 can overcome some of PS1's basic design limitations (limited number of people per map, and the gawdawful combat system) and thus taking the same approaches, really makes no sense.

Indeed, if the bitter ps1 crowd really just wants PS1. That's still a totally viable option. Go play PS1.

As i've noted since page what was it 20, as you ignored since page 'whatever', the issue was always population and the argument for things like lattice goes out of the window with it.

And the other stuff, turrets and cloaked sundies. really that good, debatable. IT all hinges on whether giving the defender an advantage other than making defeating the attacker a game of 'pee-a-boo' sundy. Is really what you want.

As to the other stuff you've snuck in, what im calling 'buff flesh, nerf explosions'. Yeah 'more like ps1' eh, or 'more like the enclave likes to play'.

So yeah, I can appreciate people are frustrating with the game and such. however, these suggestions remain. Pretty bad.

The game has already moved beyond this thread. Which if people bother to go back and read it, has about as much critical engagement as a carefully manged press conference to redeem someones image.
    https://twitter.com/safe4mx/status/306549337238945792/photo/1

Keep trying guys!
  6. HoriZon357

Epic! I literally got through the first post, then saw there was more connecting it, so I figured they were just as good as the first one and gave it a thumbs up---you are like the first guy to earn a legit 200+ likes that's not for being the first to post on an awesome Roadmap idea.

Agree about the battle fronts...It seems the DEVs are striving to create mass/memorable fights, but don't know how to do it. They are even talking about letting ppl spawn at a downed SCU, talk about perpetuating having to camp the ppl that hate being camped, and camping the ppl you hate having to camp---its so ironic because it is the exact thing they are trying to stop (since people whine about being killed in obvious killzones and cant figure out to spawn somewhere else) but they seem to miss exactly what you brought up, there is no front...

I REALLY miss the obviousness of SOI's being connected by lines of attack, and the blue or pink tower in your red SOI... "ZOMG, they are going to attack..." or the downed Gen seen on the map info---there is no sense of urgency now, just abandoned front lines, so annoying. Now towers are so convoluted and confusing, requiring an architect by your side, it detracts from everything they and us want, a meaningful fight. I miss the ol' days, epic fights not found in an outpost fight per-se, but the movement of the entire front, the battlefront was more fluid like, but at the same time more static through the connections. YOU might lose the fight, but what about the war? Back then you didn't have that completely whooped feeling, then everyone scattering, you would simply fall back then make a serious return because the attackers got too cocky and sought parallel interests, that's the missing momentum you speak of, when people fight back and win the war, not the Outpost. Those late nights you couldn't go to sleep because it wasn't the fight that was important, it was the war...Planetside, Planetside, Planetside...Does it work if you say it three times fast? Dammit.

I also miss LLUs and MODs being ran on the map that EVERYONE could see, and the one poor guy running them =P

P.S YES TOWERS ABSOLUTELY NEED SPAWN TUBES FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, AND SO DO OUTPOSTS, FORGET SILLY ONE-WAY SHIELDS. IF THEY DON'T DEFEND IT, THEN I GUESS THEY LOSE IT...IN THE OL' DAYS "EVERYONE, RECALL TO SANC, GAL DROP..." OH WAIT NOT REALLY THE SAME ANY MORE..TAKE THE HEARTH/SHUTTLE..OH WAIT...NOT ANY MORE... NOW-A-DAYS "UMM IS YOUR HOTSPOT THINGGY READY?" THERE IS NO RISK THESE DAYS, FRACK OUR PLASTIC PLAYGROUNDS, NON-STEEL CARS, AND SEAT BELTS...SERIOUSLY...QUIT CATERING.

...AND STOP SELLING COMMAND CHAT, FFS, MAKE BEING A PROVEN LEADER ANOTHER FACET OF THE GAME, ESPEICALLY FOR WHEN OS'ES GET HERE.
  7. Herrick

So basically you dislike the ideas because of who posted them? At least offer up alternate suggestions rather than just spouting "this idea sucks and so do you".

The lattice system from Planetside while born from a technical limitation also added structure to things. You knew for certain where you could find fights, you could predict to an extent where enemies would be moving while still allowing scope for being surprised and ambushed since continents were more than pallet slots and were actually linked together instead of being isolated islands. It allowed for something more than a reactive approach to defense. Part of the reason why everyone always fights over the crown is because it is a good place for a big meatgrinder battle.

Most of us don't want a carbon copy of PS1, we realize PS1 has flaws. However we would appreciate this game being a sequel in more than name only. We expect PS2 to be competitive with the prequel at launch.

At the moment PS2 feels less like a game of military conquest and more TDM on very large maps with the occasional capture point to camp. Nothing really matters here, take a hex from someone and there is zero incentive to really hold onto it. Tech labs are currently the only bases that hold any semblance of value due to their ability to spawn MBTs. Not to mention the game doesn't even reward you for defending and with the cert system being as Korean as it is most players choose to chase exp over actually helping their faction win.

PS2 feels too static, there is no meta to speak of and as far as features go PS2 has utterly nothing compared to it's predecessor. The game feels like it was shoved out of beta 12 months too early and they are just now struggling to add in everything that is missing.
    • Up x 2
  8. LordMondando

No, I think who posted them is relevant and is why, as the entire production of this thread is yet another bandwagon jump (most if not all the ideas have been mentioned before on this forum, arguably again, we are well into plagiarism territory. Don't beleive me, use the search function), repackaged as 'What I think should be done as PS2's godking', Not the first time.

Indeed, I've made. to be honest. A fair ******* bit of argument in this thread. Most if not all has been ignored. This isunt a debate, its an advertisement. So excuse me whilst I call a spade a spade whilst continuing to argue game mechanics. yes I can, and have done both.

Again, as I go into detail on pages 20-22 and 41-something. I think these issues with a free form system, resulting in 'boring' or 'static' play, are more borne out fo issues surrounding population. to wit - in the system we have now, below a certain level of population people start to behave diffrently, as front lines have their population drop below a level at which contact spontenously breaks out across them.

As i've also said now, several times. I think server merges will, if the issue is 'there are not enough fights beyond the crown' - which is what this boils down to. Adress this basic problem.

As to larger issues in the game regarding it having a 'point' as there being a larger 'meta-game' of stragy. I agree a lot of work is needed here. What I contest however, is that altering the gameplay in such a way that each base fight in a 'level' in a network of 'A->B->C' actually adds anything there. People see to just be stating that as an article of faith, without really giving any independent reasons why it may actually make the game more involving or better.

I also worry about how your framing incentives. Nothing in the proposals, here, or anywhere really are going to punch through the existential wall, of all incentive in games boiling down to 'well done merit badges' and 'murder cash'. If people won't play the game and/or the objective, just because its fun. Not a huge amount you can do about that. but if they are happy zerging around farming murder cash, then changing the game mechanics for them seems a bad idea.
  9. Zan_Aus

To all the people who simply accept the changes as gospel (I'm not saying BCP is necessarily himself putting it out there like this) you should consider rereading his suggestions.

Once you have done that, think carefully to yourself how a cynical and competitive playerbase (on all sides) would game and abuse the hell out of those changes. Just assume everyone is a hyper-competitive ******** with a mad-on for winning.

You might then find some of the changes less palatable. I still like a number of his suggestions, but many, oh boy, once you think about how they would be used, not so much anymore.
    • Up x 2
  10. the pestimist

Has everyone posted on this?!
  11. Rayden78

I disagree .. first of all i had some really interesting and fun fights up there. Sometimes with less sometimes with more players. Nearly all fields up there provide tank resources and that was often the reason i got there to fight. Anyway its nice if not every place of the map is constantly subject to massive battles, it's nice that there are some places for minor skirmishes as well.

And i had some awesome fights on the bridge between Regent Rock and Sky Mesa recently.
  12. strove

nice relevant post there... thanks for contributing a valuable post to this forum...
  13. Rusky

Thanks, just like yours that I was quoting ;)

Now go and play a game without vehicles which you clearly enjoy more.
  14. USD

Rusky, in PS1 there was a time and place for vehicles. You fought to get control of the courtyard, put your AMS somewhere safe, and then started invading the base, which was vehicle free. The problem with vehicles in this game is that you can get right up inside bases and shell the objective itself. That's not a problem in your opinion?
  15. strove

Th
    Thank you. Some one who dosnt read 2 words as start acting on it. I live the armour but all in asking for is a way to combat a large amount of them... Currently if TE roll armour there will be 40 tanks steamrolling the continent because there's no counter to it. They bring on more armour just as quick as you destroy it
  16. ps2x518

Can't believe this reached over 50,000 views.
  17. hawken is better

PAIN FIELDS

PAIN FIELDS

MOTHER ******* PAIN FIELDS

SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE ABOUT PEOPLE THAT ARE TOO AFRAID TO LEAVE THE SPAWN ROOM. IF THEY'RE NOT GOING TO LEAVE ON THEIR OWN, THEN FORCE THOSE SONS OF ******* OUT.

ANOTHER FAILED ATTACK ON ALLATUM BECAUSE, AS USUAL, NO ONE ON THE TR WANTS TO LISTEN, AND NO ONE WANTS TO LEAVE THE ******* SPAWN/TELEPORTER ROOMS.
  18. Gaarthar

was a great read , aspecially seing how 95% of this was exactly the same as my own ideas and thoughts.

strongly supporting the OP with the thread.
  19. KingSnuggler

Well Orbital Strikes would be a way to combat large armor zergs.. but the resistance for putting them in with a certain part of the playerbase who doesn't even know the mechanics of it from the first Planetside is what is going to keep it from going into PS2. I don't think people realize this is a MMOFPS people are going to die regardless but the amount of whining on these forums by players who do everything to reduce dying as much as they can. If they would take out the K/D ratio the whining would die and people would play to play the game.

A game where death is fun, but noone wants to die..
  20. KingSnuggler

The old saying goes "You can't cure stupid"