The next hurdle for PS2 is named BF4

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberBonisseur, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Aegie

Except that PS2 has garbage FPS mechanics. I just cannot enjoy playing with such garbage any longer and the spawn camping- never have I spent so much time waiting or playing against an invincibility shield in a FPS.

I am desperately waiting for anyone else to release a MMO FPS in the hopes that they actually focus on making the FPS part not so much garbage. That or the devs actually put some good work into the FPS part of this MMO FPS but that seems unlikely since it has been almost a year and the core FPS gameplay mechanics are still trash. If anyone else can put out a MMO FPS with decent FPS gameplay then I will never look back.
    • Up x 1
  2. Darrus Dreadtiger

Imma see how BF4 turns out when it comes out. Pre-ordering has proven to be bad luck for me and I find first-impression videos and blogs to be more reliant that "I'm sure it's gonna be fine".

However, if BF4 will arrive and not suck, I'll likely still play PS2 alongside BF4. I doubt that it'll deliver what PS2 can.
    • Up x 1
  3. TeknoBug

I'm a long time Battlefield player since BF1942 demo (including console exclusives), but BF4 doesn't have my interest, it's a lot like BF3.5 and I stopped playing BF3 a year ago. And EA is a lame joke of a company now.

ATM the games I play right now are PS2, GW2, CS:GO, SWGemu, rFactor 1 & 2 and F1 2012 and very occasionally PS1 (fights hard to find). No other MMO or FPS game grabs me anymore.
    I've been playing PC games since the early 90's (Apple games before that) and since the past 10+ years I've seen a decline in PC gaming and people don't believe me when I say it, what scares me the most is that more and more companies will abandon the PC platform (EA has already done it with many of their franchise titles) and eventually we'll be forced to play on console if that happens- however perhaps the next gen console will have true keyboard+mouse support in games, I sure as hell am not going to be using a controller.

By the way, do you know what dumbing down is? There's been an awful lot of that in games lately, BF3 is dumbed down big time compared to previous BF titles, Call of Duty is VERY dumbed down now compared to the last good title CoD4. I bet GTA 5 will be more dumbed down than GTA 4 which was dumbed down over GTA: San Andreas, I mean you can't even kill your girlfriend anymore.
    • Up x 1
  4. Gunho

I'm watchin g a live stream from EA on Twitch.tv.

I fear the thin population of PS2 is gonna get alot thinner. Ill be playing that next month. Hopefully that game doesn't have Striker launchers and devs with silly ideas....
  5. UberBonisseur

Oh someone resurrected the thread.

Great post, except for this:

LoL and WoW are both complicated, and it did not stop them from being having a huge playerbase.
    It's not overly complex.

We just want the Depth/Complexity ratio to be as high as possible.
    Some games try to divide by 0.
    • Up x 2
  6. TeknoBug

SWG was one of the most complex games I've ever played, well EVE Online too (which is more like a job than a game) but SWG was soooooooooooo much fun before the dumbed down NGE.
  7. Maidere

One thing to understand the tragedy - PS2 suffers from population drop more than other games. It doesnt have any PvE so the others players are the only content you have. Also, unlike in other fps games (like BF) it wont be like "number of full servers dropped from 20 to 7 per region"
    Of course, when intercontinental lattice will come it will get a bit better. But still.
  8. Kn4ck3br0d37

Thank you for replying.

I can give you that LoL is a complex game at competetive level, definatly. I mean if you havn't read up on strats and builds you may as well go home unless you're lucky. Come to think of it DayZ is another one of those games (or mod in this case) that's complex to play, perhaps moreso than LoL not because I'd say it requires more skill/research but because the controls and interface of the game are so clunky when you're not used to it, and it still became very popular.

And I also agree that WoW can be complex at end game/pvp. However, we can both agree that the base mechanics of the game are very simple (questing and the way combat works at a novice level, right click and use a skill or two) and as Blizzard themselves have said, even though it's hard for me to belive, most people don't actually reach max level and play the game very casually so in that sense the majority of people choose to play WoW in a very un-complex game.

So yeah, I guess what I wanna' say is that some people like complex games. I do, though not needlessly complex as you suggested (don't divide by 0 people, it's bad for you) you can agree that an un-complex game will draw in the "masses" no?
  9. TeknoBug

PS2 suffering population drop more than other games? SWTOR was called TORtanic for a reason, despite its HUGE first week sales at launch, it lost LOTS of players and I think it's the fastest game to ever go F2P from launch.
  10. Aegie

I probably never would have taken a second look at BF4 if PS2 had halfway decent FPS mechanics.

As it is, however, the gameplay of PS2 is really meh what with all the waiting, spawn camping and lopsided engagements. Add to that the fact that the most basic core gameplay elements of FPS are garbage in PS2.

So yeah, now I am thinking I will move to BF4 after it is released. When was the last time you had a good engagement in PS2 that was good because there were more than 64v64?

Honestly, I think if you could do 32v32 with combined arms and passable FPS mechanics then you would probably have a much more entertaining game than PS2.
    • Up x 2
  11. OldMaster80

Same here. Big maps and huge numbers make the game unpredictable, 32 vs 32 is something I'm no longer interested in.
  12. Nasher

BF4 isn't really competition to Planetside 2. The Battlefield games are small scale compared to Planetside and the battles can only play out in limited ways. Also sci-fi doesn't usually attract the same crowd.
  13. UberBonisseur

At least it's balanced.
    Right now on Miller things are fairly predictable: Play on Indar or get overpoped.

By all means I don't say that every game should be limited to 32v32 battles to be balanced; PS1 was balanced in general with 400 players on a continent. In PS2, if every server doesn't have 6000 players to fill all continents, pop difference will snowball. Problem, a full PS2 server is a broken server.

I'd really like to see how the more pop limited battle Island will work.
    PS2 has sacrificed too much in order to jam 2000 players in one place. It feels like quantity over quality.
    • Up x 4
  14. GSZenith

try* say* that on LoL or DoTA forum ^^
    you don't even have to try make a troll thread if you says LoL or DoTA.

edit *spelling.
  15. Maidere

Nice comparison, you want the same fate for PS2?
    My point is: in TOR, there are instanced PvP and NPC's to kill in open world PvE. So, even if the pop is very low, you can have some fun.
  16. BoomBoom4You

Honestly if they would fix the optimization and allow lower-tier computers to at least run the game at a reasonable framerate, they would crush all competition. This game has so much potential but optimization is cutting off a massive chunk of the market.
    • Up x 2
  17. Brayton

I'd say the biggest peice of competition would be MAG if that ever started up again.

But that crashed...hard.