The next hurdle for PS2 is named BF4

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberBonisseur, Jun 14, 2013.

1. goodzack

2. Tekuila

Dunno about you but, I plan on playing both.
  3. AzureKnight

You can speculate that a reason a lot of things have been pushed to back on the roadmap, for example Hossin, implants, and several other things, is because they want to release a massive update to rival BF4.

What would make more sense? Do minor updates to fix small things, i.e., balancing issues, and then one massive update that will make the game feel like new again, or release several medium sized updates that by the time fall rolls around, the game still feels the same because you're use to all the features?
  4. LynxFury

Not from what I've seen, my entire unit is BF vets. They are openly discussing what's been released. There's a lot of overlap, particularly among new PS2 players while the old PS1 probably aren't numerous enough to ensure PS2's success. I do worry that SOE keeps slanting PS2 towards infantry play, which is ostracizing the older generation of players loosing their twitch and keen eyesight; puts it even more direct competition with BF, which it can't beat; and is removing one of the key attractions for PS2--its combined arms play.
  5. SenEvason

I'd be more worried about the new Star Wars: Battlefront. People have been waiting years for it, unlike Battlefield.
  6. St0mpy

pfft not interested.

bf4 is bf3 with features supposed to be there as a successor to bf2 ... to someone who missed the past 6 years of the bc2/bf3 generation (prison? locked in a hole?) it might be what they waited for, but for someone whos only ever played bf3 itll be a shocking moneygrab makeover with ingame voip and half a commander mode.

On top of that its already rumored EA are bringing in supply drops with weapons and gear people can open for real money this time around ... so not only are they charging you an upfront price for the game, then gouging you for the inevitable broken down stepped DLC releases if you want anything more than a vanilla game, now they also want to dip peoples wallets with a pay2win mechanic too?

All I can say to that is EA can suck my ........flaming skull hood ornament :)
  7. RobotNinja

Battlefield and Planetside are apples and oranges. It's like asking how will the new Mortal Kombat stack up against the new Super Mario Bros?

Yes, BF and PS are both FPS games but there's no comparison when it comes to sheer scope of gameplay and PS2 is still in it's infancy.

Yes, BF4 may have Commander Mode but you will still have to play on limited player servers and the console version if they are making one will be a complete crapfest as usual.

Also, is par for course now everything down to the bootlaces on your character will be a DLC you have to purchase.
  8. Pat Cleburne

I've played all the BF titles and I will definitely be playing this one.
  9. Bill Hicks

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDuuuuuuuuuuuuuude that is fun!!! I love dumb people who repair without clearing the area and I jack their tanks and run them over! I wish PS2 had vehicle jacking.
    • Up x 1
  10. Rendaw

lol fail post op.

'omg this new game will kill our game' posts are as old and irrelevant now as they were like 14years ago when counterstrike was facing off againstday of defeat.

go back to your hole.
  11. IdesOfSmarch

Battlefield 4 still isn't a true successor to Battlefield 2 in one regard: mod support; and that might still be a deal-breaker for me. As long as DICE follows the trend of monopolizing and monetizing every piece of additional, measly content, PS2 will remain my go-to large scale FPS of choice. At least with PS2 I know that most additional content will be free, even if it doesn't drastically alter the game experience like creative mods can. Also, a F2P title like this has a vested interest in promoting longevity, whereas the planned obsolescence of the Battlefield series--now following in CoD's footsteps and likely releasing new titles at a nigh-annual rate--only promotes gouging our wallets. Still excited for Mirror's Edge 2 and Star Wars: Battlefront, though!
  12. smokemaker

I agree completely.
    I am referring to my own teammates.

especially the AA vehicles. Generally 1 per team and 10 people want in it..... You in it, it takes damage, so u jump out to repair it and your own teammate jumps in a drives off.

Or worse yet, they TK you for the vehicle......

enemy action in regards to stealing vehicles is indeed fun.
    • Up x 2
  13. Bill Hicks

You mean that sweet vulcan cannon? Damn that thing was better as a anti infantry weapon than anti air.
    Ahh. If I remember there was no friendly fire most of the time so you couldnt get revenge.
    • Up x 1
  14. hansgrosse

Will Battlefield 4 use the magazine-count reload system present in the series up until Battlefield 2142? If not, I'm not buying it. Magazine count was awesome and much more realistic. I was SO pissed when they decided to switch to the generic bullet count system. It's not my only complaint about the newer Battlefield games, but it's the biggest.

On the note of Star Wars FPS's: Honestly, I'd much prefer a polished version of Battlefield 2142's First Strike mod to a new Star Wars: Battlefront. That mod is the single best Star Wars FPS I've EVER played. Hell, it's still good after all these years.
  15. VSDerp

bf4 looks awesome but wish they made a bad company 3..bf3 was fun and all but the dlcs wasnt impressive or really fun. hope bf4 can regain my love
  16. woooow

Personally I'll never play a battlefield game again. PB has an interrupt issue that locks up computers that run soundcards from a few different manufacturers...it's not really DICE's fault but they would not even acknowledge it so they will not get any money from me again. The bug does not actually affect me but knowing that they will not even offer a refund for their products for a bug that could potentially ruin a pc is enough for me to never bother with them again. The bug persists to this day.

Which is too bad, they have my absolute favorite animations for dying via flamethrower in multiplayer games and I've been a fan of the series since 1942 came out. Obviously I like them for more then the flamethrower animations which are recent, but that part stings the most, as that sort've thing never gets old for me
  17. Marinealver

As Planetside 2 was not a console game?
  18. phreec

I love shooters, like 90% of my Steam library and and boxed copies are shooters so I really do love 'em.
    However knowing how bad BF3 turned out I'm more cautious about jumping on the hypetrain this early. The game and its features do look good on paper but I'm more interested in how they play out. I mean, just slapping some invincible guy shooting Tomahawks in your face on top of BF3 wouldn't exactly work well and by the looks of it the game is still very much BF3.5 with some stuff from the last real Battlefield game. It doesn't matter how much icing they put on top of it if it's rotten from the core again.

I've given up ALL hope of an actual BF2/142 successor made by EA ever hitting the shelves again. They're after the money and games like BF 1942 and BF2 are too complex for the average gamer these days. It's kinda sad...
    • Up x 3
  19. Nocturnal7x

no. Up until at least this point, the game has been developed for PC with the PCs capabilities in mind.
  20. Phyr

More interested in Titanfall.