The next hurdle for PS2 is named BF4

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberBonisseur, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Cab00se187

"When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time."
    "A consumer gets engaged in a property, they might spend 10,20,30,50 hours on the game and then when they're deep into the game they're well invested in in. We're not gouging, but we're charging and at that point in time the commitment can be pretty high."
    "But it is a great model and I think it represents a substantially better future for the industry." - John Riccitiello (Former CEO of EA)

Does that answer your question why people hate EA
  2. THUGGERNAUT

so basically exactly the same as PS2, minus origin?
  3. f0d

it is?
    did they remove the blue tint on everything? (or any tint)
    did they remove the stupid amounts of sun glare?
    will there be objectives like the satellite dish etc etc?
    supression that makes your aim go all over the place?
    so easy to fly that a 2 year old can destroy everyone?
    no origin requirements?

im sorry but EA lost me as a customer with BF3 - its was nothing like BF2 and in all honesty it doesnt look like BF4 will cut it either, sure they added commander mode but its too little too late (will it be as good as BF2 commander?)
    i might check it out when its on special for $20 or something but as others have said PS2 is a completely different game anyways and it will be up to EA to earn my trust again
  4. Sen7rygun

I saw the BF4 presentation at PAX Aus and I'm still only half optimistic about it. At the end of the day they're still running to console gaming limitations. But now console limitations have caught up to Battlefield 2 (~8year old game). Hooray!

The Frostbite engine can run maps, player numbers and geometric complexities well and truly beyond the current 64p ~5km^2 maps they're still doing now. Once again though the PC gaming community that gave them the name, fame and resources they have now is getting shafted because of the marketing power and profit of the consoles.

The most insulting part is the fact that a true next gen PC Battlefield title to use all the bells and whistles, pull all the stopa and drastically raise the map sizes and player number caps would still be enormously popular and profitable. The only reason it doesn't happen is becauee consoles are more profitable.

We are the people that have given rise to the gaming industry as the juggernaut it is today, we are the test platform for new technology and and mould breaking ideas that push the gaming industry forward as a whole. Its insulting that we repeatedly get kicked in the teeth and force fed the scraps of the console market.

When we do get a break for the PC gaming community we end up with situations like here in PS2. The game is great, the idea is grand and its pushing into new territory that will one day be the mainstay of online war gaming but it has been done of such a shoestring budget that they didn't even have the development time or money to optimise it for multi core processors. Seriously is there even a PC left out there running a single core processor that isn't in a museum? Quite honestly i can't even see how it's possible they didn't know this game was going to run like sh*t on anything less than a brand new cutting edge processor with a sh*t ton of high frequency ram.
  5. Redzy

I left BF3 as soon as I got around playing PS2 and I found about this game when it wasn't even on alpha yet. It was like a dream come true: a free to play sequel to PlanetSide, the massive combat experience I so wanted from a Battlefield game.

BF3 was fun but it was like a BC2 without the things that make BC2 an interesting change from the usual Battlefield. What I had to deal with instead was a fairly lackluster game that is just a shadow of what BF2 represents.

I have spent more money on this game than on BF3 (Premium included) and I am interested in spending more when content gets released. All in all, having had to deal with EA, I can safely say I am satisfied with SOE and its team. Just wish they would remove alerts from this and give it a proper gameplay centered around territory control. This will eventually happen as I found SOE actually does listen to their loyal player base.

I am here to stay, hoping for the trash to be filtered out of the servers so I can enjoy a gaming experience tailored for PlanetSide lovers even more as the BF/Arma kiddies go back to their thing and stop influencing this game's development.
  6. Drsexxytime

Yes, really, deal with it.
  7. DaMann22

I like BF and will play the next one when it comes out. Still I am going to stick with PS2 and enjoy the fun in that.
  8. vanu123

Dont forget GTA 5 and Battlefront 3. So many great games coming and so little time to play them all.
  9. f0d

thats true
    also titanfall looks fun - i think im more interested in everything else coming out than battlefield 3.5
  10. vanu123

Oh and Rome 2 total war. Between Ps2, Rome 2, Battlefront 3, Mirrors edge 2, GTA5, and a few other free to plays, I have no reason for a social life anymore xD
  11. vanu123

John Ravioli? The man who kidnapped THERUSSIANBADGER?
  12. SenEvason

Each game has their own pace and focus when it comes to gameplay. Both can coexist together.
  13. EnviousCipher

To be fair, he said BF3, not EA. There are plenty of better reasons why to dislike BF3.
  14. hansgrosse

Are they going back to their trademark magazine-count based reload system in Battlefield 4? No? I'm not interested.

I used to love you, Dice, but now you and your EA overlords can both go **** yourselves.
    • Up x 2
  15. TripleAych

The amount of bitterness against Battlefield series is kinda silly.
    People are hung-up to the point of silly, to an immature degree.
  16. Stew360

3 words

STAR wars Battlefront

But nothing in BF4 could replace Ps2 , ps2 as it flaws but its a immensly rich game with lots of potential ...

BF is a single / multiplayer game

Planetside 2 is a MMO persistant shooter with RTS mechanics and upcoming insane updates contents creation and so on , youll never have that with BF4

As much as i have been a BF player , Planetside 2 always remain something unique and great with a great team passionate about their work ...

Iam more exited about SWBF than about BF4 to be honest :) i cant wait to see a well done Battlefront game for once :) .. but still i will keep playing planetside 2 for years ...

• Up x 1
  17. Kn4ck3br0d37

Parts of this thread is just... I don't even..

Let's clear a few things up here. I'll just say I like PS2, ok? Not a hater, but let's be real here.

COMPETITION: PS2 and BF4 competes on the same market. Sure, they're diffrent from eachother (but in the core mechanics, not that much unless you're nitpicking) but they still very much compete. Who here plays exclusivly FPS? Anyone? Even if it wasn't an FPS you may get so intrested in it that you stop playing PS2 for a bit. You may not quit, but you'll give it up for a while. I myself started playing WOT a while ago but didn't really get into it untill like a week ago. Same genre? Not really, but still diverting me from PS2.

Don't get me wrong, it's not going to kill PS2, it will always have those who view it as the best FPS in their eyes. Who here played WoW? Remember every time a new MMO came out and everyone screamed "WOW KILLER!!" on the forums? Yeah, how many times did that come true?

Since PS2 is F2P as well it's not like new players are going to dry up completely. There will always bea slow influx of new players because why not? It's free to try anyway so unless people get tired of it over time, PS2 will probably be a little like EVE Online. Fairly small playerbase compared to most other games but slowly increasing over the years instead of massive popularity then fading away quickly.

CONSOLE: I know people are ******** about consoles and all and take some form of wierd pride in being "pure PC" as it would make the game magically better, apparently. I've never understood this personally. If they made huge sacrifices to make it viable for console then sure it's a problem but I think this is overstated a lot of the time. It's as if you like one option you have to HATE THE OTHER WITH EVERY FIBER OF YOUR BEING!

Also how recent do you think SOE's PS4 plans for PS2 are? They probably thought of that since the beginning and if they didn't, then as soon as they realized it could run on PS4 without messing it up too badly. PS2 isn't as HARDCORE PC as some people like to belive, not that it makes the game better or worse, it's still PS2 either way.

EA: Now I'm gonna' get flamed to hell and back for this but EA really does get more flack than they deserve. The fact that EA is even on the list of "worst companies in the world" when there are companies who use child labour, cause financial ruin to millions of people, mistreat animals or cause pollution on such a scale that endangers the environment, people and even cause miscarriage is nothing short of astounding and really makes you realize it's not so strange why "games" are seen as wierd lunatics by some of the "mainstream" people.

Yes they have some unsavory business practices but they have a new CEO now and hopefully he's gonna' try and work on their image now. To be honest a few bad DLC's have really ruined the whole term "DLC". People just rage when they hear DLC when really it can mean any number of things. Let's compare BF3/2 since that's the most common comparison here.

BF2 - Armored Fury: 3 maps, a few new vehicles, called a "Booster pack" - Nobody bats an eye
    BF3 - Armored Kill: 4 maps, a few new vehicles, called "DLC" - Everyone looses their minds

True that Armored Fury was EVENTUALLY made free, but it didn't releases as such. Reguardless, if a developer makes a really good game and you love it then support that developer and hope they make more, even if they happen to be published by EA. Sure you could say that you're "Sustaning the evil forces of Electronic ****" by doing so but good developers shouldn't have to suffer for what a supposedly evil publisher is doing.

To be honest many of us have probably spent more money on PS2 than what BF3 + Premium costs. I may have, not sure.

SALES: Basically, the big driver of all the evil consolization and the source of dumbing-down (as people just LOVE to say these days) games for generations to come! Oh wallow in despair all ye' who like complicated games! Just to be in the clear here: I play EVE Online so don't mistake me for some angry-birds playing casual.

One has to realize that MOST people don't want complicated games. They want something simple to pick up and play that they don't have to invest 20 hours+ of reading up on strategy and tactics just to be competetive. And in the spirit of simplicity, consoles fit well: You buy one, cheaper than a good PC is and it lasts for at least 5 years (360 and PS3 are running on 7 now) wich is more than can be said for computers. There's no installation and if there is, it's basically automatic.

And the sales speak for themselves too. I'm not sure but most likely piracy is a lot higher on PC as well simply because it's easier. You don't have to mod your console and you don't have to burn a disk or anything, just download it and play it basically. Take some of the best-selling names in the industry for example: (Console sales are usually split pretty evenly between 360 and PS3 so I'll bunch them together)

BF3:
    Consoles: 13,55 M
    PC: 2,46 M

COD:BLOPS
    Consoles: 27,27 M (1,27 M for the Wii, lol)
    PC: 1,46 M

COD:MW3
    Consoles: 28,45 M
    PC: 1,57 M

TESV:SKYRIM
    Consoles: 12,18 M
    PC: 3.03 M

(Data taken from http://www.vgchartz.com/ so it may be very off but that's what it says anyway. Intrestingly enough, 360 sales were always at it's highest in the US and PC sales always peaked in Europe for some reason.)

When even a game that preforms so much better on PC and has such an extensive modding community as Skyrim sells more on consoles, it's not hard to see why they focus on that market. PC is an ungreatful market. Sales are much lower and at the same time PC gamers seem to demand higher quality than console games do based on all the complaints of consolization going on.

Well that's probably all I have to say about this.

TL/DR:

All games compete, reguardless of genre
    Playing PC doesn't mean you have to hate consoles
    EA gets more abuse than they deserve
    All DLC isn't evil
    Console sales own PC sales sadly
    "Dumbing down" is really overused, stop it
    Oh and read my post on immersion, it's in the sig

Have a good one.
    • Up x 4
  18. Tiedemann

I'm not going to switch even though I LOVE the sounds Dice make. I absolutely hate the suppression and other effects they force on me (too much random stuff you don't have control over).
    The player base also seems to favor maps who feels too crowded 24/7, instead of PS2 where you get a little of everything in a session. A lot of players could've just played COD instead.

It also feels completely different to have outfits, friends and what not in-game, rather than using some web page to manage stuff. PS2 is no where near perfect but it gets better over time.
  19. Vashyo

No competition, that games gonna turn old and done for people before or after they've cashed in with DLC. Then they can come back to PS2 to see new stuff for free.

Love the long lifecycle SOE has planned for PS2
  20. Astealoth

Yea I'll buy BF4 when it's on Steam, which will be never, so here I'll stay. EA invented the Gonzo Distribution Software genre. Sick of their buggy bloatware and I'm not giving them any money until they man up and admit Origin is a failure.