The Infiltrator Challenge

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Mustarde, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Epicstrat

What'll we call it if (when) I get all the flash weapons araxium'd
  2. Jawarisin

You have to explain to me how the hell you did it for the ghost/specter. I'm trying to use the ghost, but it's SO crappy. If peoples are strafing minimally, the bullet velocity makes it incredibly hard to hit. And if you don't get the first shot right on, you're dead. Specter's plain horrible though.
  3. Vaphell

Don't shoot strafing people then ;) Trigger discipline will take you far. Wait for windows opportunity, it's not like the enemy can easily reset your attempt by burning your 'hold breath' with random moves, like in case of other BASRs.
    Low zoom rifles were quite good back then, with their craptastic unconditional OHK distance and sway, now they must be awesome. I had no problem sniping at 150m with 4x.

Semi-autos require even more discipline. You are exposed much longer, you better make these shots count. Double taps on stationary targets are your best bet, though i've found sending 3 rounds downrange yields the best overall results because in case of miscalculated HS you should be able to kill most targets with 3 bodyshots.
    You shouldn't attempt duels with full auto spray classes from their frontside 90deg arc. Once they start spraying even in panic they will mess your aim even without hitting you (there is some kind of weak suppression mechanic, just enough to make life of non-auto users miserable), and when they correct their aim it's game over.
  4. Get2dachoppa

My biggest gripe with the Spectre right now is the hold breath mechanic. It works fine on a stationary target you can make the double tap headshot but it really becomes an issue landing body shots on moving targets. I'll land 3-4 bodyshots and the scope sway kicks in and I just can't get the last shot or two I need while my opponent sprays full auto in my direction. Really wish we had some useful attachment that would either decrease the sway or at least increase hold breath time by another second or two. I'm enjoying the Nyx a lot more these days now that it can do the exact same double tap headshot without having to battle hold breath or scope sway.
  5. Jawarisin

The ghost is a CQC BASR. I already got the trigger discipline. The problem is, the peoples shooting me are strafing. And i get the same problem as the post above me for the specter.
  6. Vaphell

I know what the ghost is.
    If people are shooting you, you are doing it wrong. You are not there to trade shots. You are either too close or in too obvious spot right in the center of focus, where everybody and their dog expects you, or both. 1. Flank the **** out of them 2. ??? 3. profit
    If you have no problem with other BASRs and don't feel like a cqc mofo, slap 4x on it and use it as a 'normal' sniper rifle from 75m+. With no suppressor on, the rifle is pretty much pixel perfect up to 100m. IIRC sniping at 150m was at most a 3px correction.

Semi-auto will be a pain in the *** no matter what. You have to be uncloaked much longer, producing more faction specific sniper rifle sounds and more tracers in the air for everybody to see. When i farmed my Gauss SPR and Impetus (now farming semi-auto scout), whenever i was firing 3 round combo from a not completely unexpected position, i was pretty much waiting for some competent BASR countersniper to blow my brains out and indeed the number of deaths to snipers shot through the roof.
    At least as a Vanu scum you suffer no drop even with the suppressor. I'd love to try the semi-auto+suppressor combo out but as an NC i can't without going insane.
  7. Jawarisin

I came to the conclusion that my 30-40 (during fights) fps wasn't enough to aim correctly with the ghost. I'm getting a few kills, but nowhere near what I'm used to.
    As for being CQC i got my auraxium on the artemis, the eridani, and the sirius and (1 kill away, im keeping this one for a special occasion) Parallax. If you were lucky. you maybe had the honor to die by my hand.

Good to know that the Semi-Auto will be a pain in the butt.
  8. Vaphell

how did you manage to snipe with Parallax with the pre-patch performance, when scoping in meant slashing the already weaksauce framerate in half? i used to see 15fps in any larger battle. I stayed away from places where the fps produced by my godly amd box tanked hard and scoured the outskirts of battles instead to wipe other snipers and AV mana engies (both classes were more than 25% of my kills). Easy peasy, though everything depends on what kills/hr ratio you consider satisfactory, flanking means serious downtime.

In some scenarios SASRs work better than bolt actions, eg as suppression tools or spammy finishers, but expect being shot at more frequently and the BASR snipers will own your *** if you are not quick with your business.
  9. Jawarisin

For the question: A mix of Pure awesomeness, skills and positionning. I've got ******** killstreaks of 25+ repeatedly for instance, just because I was well positionned at 5-7 meters of a sundy, but in a big fights, peoples didn't question why they were dying so quickly. Until there's one smart ***. Generally, other snipes ~ engies on towers are free kills. After that, it's about practice. I sucked in my first kills, had such a hard time. Now I can shoot peoples while they are running, and I get it on the first shot more often than not.
  10. Kopfauf

Tower camping like hell;)
  11. Stinneyt

Is the infiltrator challenge updated to include the new faction specific Sniper rifles like the TRAP, and the new NS Vandal?
    Or is it considered completed when all the primary weapons available at the time the challenge was made?
  12. Kopfauf

as you can see by my finishing only the "general" snipers, so no essr, are needed. No 2.gen smg/ no ns ones. This is for the "original" challenge, but you can expand it for all primaries, like most did.
  13. Mustarde

Back when I made this post, it was between Nukabazooka and I, to see who could auraxium all the primary weapons first, based on what was available in-game at that time.

While it has been a challenge that others have since acheived and surpassed, we don't pretend to be the sole decision makers of "the challenge", I agree that this thread could use a revamp to include the new weapons, I am open to suggestions regarding what it should include.

Personally, I would include all 4 bolt actions, both semi auto snipers, both ES scout rifles and the NS Vandal, both ES SMG's and EITHER the MKV or NS-7 (I don't see the need to make you buy another SMG that is nearly identical). And lastly, the ES "sniper" rifles, the TRAP, Phaseshift or Railjack.

From the original challenge, that is 4 additional weapons. Which I think is reasonable given the age of the game. The knife takes so long I am not sure if it is worth adding (open to feedback). AP mines also weren't included in the original, although I don't feel compelled to include it. Also, crossbows were added although they are sidearms available to all classes, so I don't know if that is worth adding either.

Thoughts? I can take some time to refresh the current wall of fame on my blog and make a new thread here once we agree on what to include.
  14. Get2dachoppa

I would agree with this.

Ugh. I was down to just the Nyx and Phantom then they went and added more SMGs, the Phaseshift and the Vandal. Curse you SOE!!
  15. Stinneyt

I only ask you because I wondered what the requirements are to make it onto the "Wall of Fame".
    I'm slowly working through the challenge (not much time to play) and as I was approaching the finish line, it seems to have been extended additional weapons.

To quote your first line:
    "Obtain the auraxium medal for every primary weapon available to the infiltrator in your faction. This does not technically include the SMG's which can be used by all classes. "
    Personally, I read that to mean only Infiltrator primary weapons available to your empire.
    Meaning Scout and Sniper Rifles.
    I feel that the inclusion of other weapons dilutes the challenge because the other weapons can be used by different classes. E.g. if someone completes the SMG's using their heavy, I don't think this supports the spirit of the infiltrator challenge.

But its all cool. I don't mind if it is extended to all primary weapons available to infiltrator, including SMG's and NS. I understand that the challenge cannot be held back because my progress is so slow. I'm happy to just keep plodding along with it until I get there :)

The Challenge is an inspiration either way.
  16. BillHaverchuck

I am into that challence for some time. I have auraxiumed SAS-R, Longshot, Bolt Driver, Blitz, NS-Vandal. I am 200 kills away with Stalker auto Scout and 300 with IMPETUS. I am also working on Cyclone for some days. Of course I am into going Auraxium for the newer weapons too.

Love being forced adopting different playstyles. My only fear is the GAUSS SPR. Semi-Auto + Hold breath seems frustrating.
    • Up x 1
  17. Sworaven

Do you mean Semi-Auto + the 'Hold Breath'-implant that are frustrating? Because those are actually a nice combination.
    • Up x 1
  18. BillHaverchuck

No. I am used playing with IMPETUS. And having to hold breath to shoot a very similar gun seems a degrade not to mention that the 6x and above scopes are slower, I guess I will get used to these.

By the way I am done with auraxium on both Impetus and AF-18 Stalker. Now I have to work on LA BASR, Cyclone and the empire specific scout rifle. After these I will have only the Railjack, the 2 NS SMGS and the GAUSS SPR
  19. Nolyzzlel

Hey guys. I dont have all my auraxium medals for my sniper rifles but for the longshot railjack and la80 it was hard too here a longshot clip
  20. BillHaverchuck

I guess I am member of the club.

https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428161003946429777/weapons

The infiltrator adopts so many totally different playstyles according to the weapons he/she uses. The challenge helped me understand the class and the game better. I was forced to play in different ways and learn what suits me better. I think I am mostly a mid range type of infiltrator, I like to keep my distance because I am not armored well but I want to be part of the Action as well. So I enjoyed the SAS-R, the Impetus and the scout rifles the most. SMGs were fun but I couldnt sustain long and very frequent kill streaks like with the other guns. Long range sniping was easy mode and kind of boring because you are away from action mostly.

Worst weapons:
    Railjack: I made a detailed analysis on the Railjack topic why I didnt like it.
    Gauss SPR: Seriously there is no reason to use that instead of Impetus. Its the same gun + scope sway. The gun clearly needs speed buff.
    NS-7 & MKV: Well they are ok I guess but the empire specific SMGs are way better. Having auraxiumed the empire specific ones first they seemed weak.
    • Up x 1