Testserver: Tower shields blocking defender bullets. Why?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Killy80, May 9, 2013.

1. Cl1mh4224rd

This would be kind of bad. You have no control over vehicles for a couple seconds after spawning, but that's plenty of time for the enemy to blow you up.

It's only backwards to you because you've chosen to use the mirror definition of the phrase "spawn camp". The spawn camping that everyone wants to get rid of is that of the attackers surrounding the spawn room/building and shooting any player that exits before that player may even know what's going on.

There are only a handful of people screwed up enough to think that it's bad that they can be killed while standing in line-of-sight of the enemy spawn room/building. I mean, really... If the game mechanics allow for a situation that puts you at a severe disadvantage compared to your opponent, the smart thing is to not put yourself in that situation, correct? I believe the proper phrase is, "Learn to play," right?
  2. Cl1mh4224rd

I actually have a suggestion regarding the lower exit to the spawn room. Here's a screenshot of what's on the PTS now:

[IMG]

My suggestion is to move both of the exits toward the center, creating a double-wide door. Move the gravlifts out to the corners. Also, make the shield on this new double-wide door the typical one-way shield we currently have on spawn room exits.

This allows a relatively limited view of the floor outside of this new exit:

[IMG]

This will allow defenders to suppress and/or clear that relatively small area, giving them some breathing room, if they're not completely overwhelmed. Attackers can still camp to the immediate left and right of this exit, but defenders will be exposed for only a short time if they run straight out toward [A].

Attackers can also still camp the stairs and the lower floor. I imagine that would still be very effective, but the defenders would have to leave the protection of that exit in order to engage the bulk of the attacking force near [A].

And since there's a large wall straight ahead, defenders can't reliably shoot at anything outside of the tower from this exit.
    • Up x 1
  3. Killy80

Except that now the attackers are the spawn camping invincible scrubs.
  4. Killy80

Exactly. They can only have one person sacrifice and trigger it. Nice huh?
  5. Killy80

If you read their answers, which are - with a few exceptions - always like "LOL OMG YOU DESERVED IT I HATE DYING", you know what people you are talking to.

The problem would be solved if the incencitives for leaving the spawnroom were increased. Like not giving XP for kills from within the spawn. If people THEN still camp inside, you know it's not a farming issue, but a fundamental issue in the mechanic of the game. And it is.
  6. Cl1mh4224rd

I don't have a positive or negative opinion about the "no XP while inside your spawn room", but I think it'll only work for the relatively few people that hang out in the spawn room even when it's fairly safe to leave. It's not going to encourage people to collectively push out of an already-camped spawn room. What it might do, though, is cause defenders to simply go elsewhere (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).
  7. Killy80

It is, because ghostcapping always sucks. People should defend, not run away from an attack. No matter how big the enemy force is. Right now, a lot of people stay in the spawnroom at attacks. The first type just wants to farm and pad their K/D. I'd say just remove the XP from within spawn, and see what those people do. The second type however is annoyed by getting instakilled when exiting the spawn. They WANT to defend, but SOE doesn't let them because of the poor base design for defenses.

Those new shields will put off the first type of course, but more severely it will piss off the second type, which want to actually play the game, too.