Testserver: Tower shields blocking defender bullets. Why?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Killy80, May 9, 2013.

1. Killy80

After reading about base changes, I decided to hop on the testserver to check them out. I was hoping for more defendable bases.

And then I went to a tower.

While the general tower layout outside of the spawnroom didn't change, the shields did. No longer the defenders can shoot through the shields. Any shield. This wouldn't be a problem if the tower layout would have been changed so that the spawn room exits couldn't be camped so heavily, but they weren't.
    Every single exit of a tower still is a chokepoint. Attackers can just sit there aiming down the the sight while the defenders now have to move out of the shield, then acquire a target, aim and shoot.

We have seen that the upper impenetrable shields have led to camping from air and infantry. One day, there was an engineer on a landingplatform with his MANA AI turret spawned and he alone camped a single shield. Thanks to the hit detection, he could hit earlier than we could shoot him after exiting the shield. If the lower part of the tower is taken and 2 libs decide to camp the upper part, there's nothing your team can do about it, because of the impenetrable shields.

And now this is coming to the infantry exits at the bottom/middle as well. I think this is a wrong approach. Shields should be shootable from inside by the defenders unless bases are heavily reworked to prevent spawncamping.

TL; DR;
    Don't make the shields impenetrable for the defenders as it will ONLY benefit the attackers. I don't get why this is necessary in a tower. If any, it would be necessary in spawnrooms facing the OPEN (but I do think it's a wrong approach there as well). Those new shields will make defense impossible and promote spawncamping even more.

Let the hate begin.
    • Up x 6
  2. VanuSovereignty

1. Test server forum exists for a reason.
    2. Good change
    • Up x 8
  3. Killy80

1. Who promoted you to MOD status?
    2. Elaborate.
  4. Loegi

How is this a suggestion? This isn't on live, why is it in Gameplay Discussion? If it's a suggestion, why isn't it in the Suggestion forum?

Why?
  5. Sharmanti

1. You did a mistake, he was just helping you realise it
    2. Accept it
    • Up x 1
  6. Killy80

How is this an answer. This is on testserver, why don't you answer to the OP? If it's here, why do you care where you want it to be?

Why?
  7. Killy80

Discussion forum is the name of this for a reason.
    And it's the job of a MOD to move this if he thinks it's wrong. Not yours. I opened it up here, live with it and start constructive answers maybe. Since you object my opionion, what's the reason you do?
  8. siiix

because people wanted "doors" like they had in PS1, shield that you cant shoot trough are in any and all ways identical to doors, maybe like see-trough doors , never the less they are doors

maybe eventually there will be more shield-doors, maybe some of them will have hack able terminals to open

i think its a good change
    i also think the old school metal doors look stupid in any game, i prefer shield-doors

even cooler would be if you only can see trough from the inside, and from the outside it would be a mirror, maybe a distorted mirror, then you would know when its safe to run out, but they would not know who is coming with out radar
    • Up x 7
  9. Morticai

This belongs in the test server forum.
  10. Killy80

The difference with doors is that once they are open, you can shoot out. You can't with these shields however. Before you can shoot, you have to physically pass the shield. Since the shields are not very wide, the attacker can exactly assume where you will be when you exit.
  11. Pyldrvr

I like that defenders are able to shoot through shields. Gives everyone something to do. If they take that away, the caps will be more boring because the defenders will just respawn elsewhere once the place is over run and you'll have to just sit there staring at the capture timer.
    • Up x 3
  12. Loegi

It obviously isn't an answer.
  13. Snarfy

Chances are if you're stuck behind a shield the base is lost. I'm guessing SOE doesn't want you sitting behind the shields XP farming and instead wants you to be productive for your team.
    • Up x 8
  14. Killy80

But they won't even give you a chance to TRY to cap the base back. With those new shields, it takes a tiny amount of players to lock the exits. They can just sit there in plain sight, aim and wait.
  15. Sharmanti

Since this is about test-servers, It belongs there. No matter what you say really! You don't need to be a mod to say that, you can help them out you know.

OnT: Well... If you lose the 1,2,3,4,5,6, etc 1+n, lines of defence and are sitting in your spawn.. Then you've lost. Simple as that. Most people just sit in them trying to score kills anyways
  16. Killy80

That's a stupid attitude. When you lose all lines of defense, you should have a chance to cap them back. You can't if you can't even exit the spawnroom. And this change makes leaving it even harder.
    • Up x 1
  17. MrK

That's TO MAKE OUT FREAKING MOVE OUT OF THE SPAWNS! :)
  18. Scorponok

Good now do this to ALL spawns...i wanna see this on every god damn spawn...so tired of having 50 people sitting in spawn shooting out...either rush out or leave the base so the fight ends earily and take over some other place...instead of being sitting ducks doing nothing good..i Personally really hope they add this shield to all spawns...it would help alot.
    • Up x 1
  19. Sharmanti

In my opinion, when all lines are lost, you should just lose the base. Obviously you can cap them back... but then you'll have to go grab a closeby spawnpoint so you can start throwing soldiers at them.

The biggest issue is that people spawn in the middle of everything..
  20. Killy80

The reason people camp inside the spawnroom is rarely farming. It's mostly because stepping outside is an immediate death sentence. At least you could fight off the attackers to an extent through the shield before you tried to break out.

Towers however weren't changed in layout except for the inside of the spawn room. So now getting outside is even more deadly, but you now have no way to even try to clear the exit beforehand.
    • Up x 2