[SUGGESTION] Light Assault Sounds

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Silver Pepper, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Silver Pepper

This thread isn't about debating the volume, make your own thread for that. This thread is about the possibility of giving the jetpacks faction specific sounds, similar to infiltrator cloaking.

I'll start using even more obnoxious text if you lot don't stop fighting.
    • Up x 2
  2. Mythicrose12

I was disappointed when the infiltrators received their own unique faction sounds. The same cloaking sounds made infiltrating a base a bit easier as enemies couldn't distinguish friend from foe. Seeing how SOE gave infiltrators their own unique sounds, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't do the same for the jet packs in time.
  3. UrMom306

Realism, totally valid point, I can agree with that to an extent.

LA vs Engineer, yes you don't have the mana turret, repair tool, ammo supply, mines. However you DO have, C4, Smoke grenades, Flash Grenades. Well placed flash and smoke grenades can be a huge support to your team, I would know i've had it happen to myself, one flash grenade and an entire squad can be taken out. Also, smoke nades + jump jets = total confusion for the enemy. Sure surprise attacks are great, and dropping down from a roof or shooting from a tower does have that element of surprise..once your up there your not using your jets so you effectively go completely silent. I've also been in skirmishes with LA, where I actively knew they were there, they would just fly up on the roof and then land, i had no idea where they were gunna drop down from. Throw in a smoke or flash grenade and I'm a sitting duck. Mix that with c4 and my squad is a sitting duck. I don't see where the jump jet sound is going to completely gib the LA's effectiveness.

Shotguns, I was mentioning shotguns because the previous response said give them a buff in survivability or weapons. So i was pointing out that shotguns are extremely effective so I can't justify a buff in the LA's weapons.
  4. Sinist

I think faction specific sounds are needed.

I don't want to be twirling around at every Light Assault flying by checking if they are enemy or not.

I want to know by the sound if I need to be alert or not. Same as when I hear weapons fire, I know what faction it belongs to (excluding the Nanite System weapons of course).
    • Up x 2
  5. Hagestol

Really loud jetpack sounds for discovery and custom faction sounds so they can be 100% sure they don't have to waste a second by looking out the window. Awesome.
  6. Pikeman84

Using C4 rapidly is a huge strain on infantry resources, you can't throw them around as liberally as grenades. C4 actually ins't as powerful as it seems. I've dropped C4 just a few feet away from someone and they've run off without even taking damage. Not sure if there's some small bugs floating around still or the blast radius is small. Probably a bit of both. Plus, there is a small delay between dropping C4 and detonation. Not much, but is is there and I've seen it save tons of people. I can't imagine a squad being wiped out by C4 unless they're all bucnhed together and standing still.

As for the support grenades, without the grenade bandolier, we get one grenade. Just one. That's not a whole lot of support right there. Flash grenades are also woefully unreliable, because SOE didn't code them to interact with walls. If you throw a flash grenade in a room and hide behind a wall, if you're too close you're blinded as well. It has nothing to do if you're actually looking at it or not. If you keep yourself at enough of a distance you're not blinded as well, more often than not by the time you run it the effect has worn off. Also, many times I throw a flashbang in a room, only to have a whole squad of friendlies run in after it and get blinded as well.

Firing from a roof actually isn't as vialbe as it seems. Many times there's little cover on rooftops, meaning once we're spotted we have to make a run for it, more often than not you don't make it. Furthermore, putting us up on heights means our carbines, primarily CQC weapons, are put at a disadvantage. While there are long range carbine options, they don't perform as well as other long range weapons other classes have access to, and perform absolutely terribly in close range fights as well. The only times I've ever been able to reliably kill people from rooftops is when I manage to get right above them and they don't notice me. Add the new jetpack sounds and that will be a thing of the past.

You mentioned how when you're fighting a LA, you don't know where he'll come from. That is exaclty what the class is supposed to do. However, imagine that same situation, but you can clearly hear where and when he uses his jetpack. That throws his entire advantage in that fight out the window.
  7. Whiteagle

Oh wait, you're giving me partial Invisibility?

Damn son, next you'll give me something my twitchy hands can actually hit a moving target with...
    No one will want to play the game then!

Well I still give my Plus One to Vanu Dub-step Sub-Woofer Packs...
    WUBWUBWUB WUB WUB!!
  8. Silver Pepper

Yush. Woom-woom-woom-woom.
  9. PraxisMajor

I'd probably keep the same sound for all or at least make the difference very subtle so that most people will still have to do a visual check.
  10. Silver Pepper

Finding Light Assaults by ear only really counts if you have surround sound, anyway. And even then, it can be hard to tell if it's to your left, or above and left.