[SUGGESTION] Light Assault Sounds

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Silver Pepper, Apr 12, 2013.

1. ironeddie

Wow man, ****, it's like the other side of the coin & stuff.
  2. Silver Pepper

"I play these things so I want them buffed. God forbid should things I don't play be buffed."

At least have the decency to try to mask that.
  3. Hagestol

I'd say make the noise based on the weapon you're wielding. Shotgun and SMG? Loud. Carb and sniper/scout rifle? Muffled. I wish.
  4. giltwist

Ok, having established that. I think that is the crux of the issue here. SOE has no intention of making cloak quieter, but agrees the jetpack should be louder than the cloak. As a result? You get a monsterous new sound effect.
  5. Hagestol

Which is the result of us getting shotguns (Nothing else has changed). Vanguard units and carb users suffer because of it. Hell, the class as a whole suffers for it.
    • Up x 1
  6. PraxisMajor

Have the people complaining about the noise spent much time playing on the test server?

I personally started using the class a bit more on test because I think it sounds cool. It definitely sounds louder to the person actually using the jetpack though.

I have been trying to notice the affect it has on the battles I have been in and would say that in quiet areas with no gunfire going on you will definitely be aware of a Light Assault nearby when maybe you wouldn't have been before. So in 1v1 you won't be able to land right behind someone without warning.

With more going on it is much harder to pick the sound out. I don't think it'll have much impact on your flanking ability in a large battle. I'd definitely like to see more people on the test server more often (I know the crashes can be frustrating) to keep trying it out.

To those LAs who are concerned about this, I'd say make sure you get on and test it out before deciding it will make you useless.
  7. Hagestol

I've tested it and so far it seems like I can forget to win (read: flank) against any defending players at cap points without more numbers. But again that is my gameplay, I like to flank. Shotgunning everything does leave people angry I guess.
  8. UrMom306

I'm actually 100% ok with the new sounds. On live more people use the light assault to infiltrate behind enemy lines than the infiltrators. Pretty sure a jetpack should actually sound like a jetpack. New sound should stay, infiltrator cloak sound should be turned down then we'll be balanced. And no I don't play infiltrator much, only for hacking out a sundy, so this isn't a "buff my favorite class post".
  9. Hagestol

I know I'm going to be called out for this, but your sig char has under two hours of LA played :p

New sound should stay if we get a big boost in survivability and weaponry to deal with the new attention we'll be getting. I guess we'd be okay with that, but it seems silly just to nerf a class that is second to last in score and played.
    • Up x 1
  10. WookLordz

Way to put words in my mouth. I said no such thing, but thanks anyways, I guess.

The whole point that I've said before is: Regardless of what the class is "supposed" to be, the perception of which comes from promo videos long ago, and text descriptions on the website, that isn't what the class has been up until now. It's straight ****** that Sony didn't address this discrepancy much earlier on. Changing an entire class like this is bound to piss people off, as many people have invested heavily in this playstyle. You may think LA is overpowered, but have a little empathy for people who are emotionally invested in their LAs.
    • Up x 1
  11. WookLordz

Yes. I have been. It basically means I can no longer stalk and kill loners at small bases quietly. One of my favorite things to do. And the noise just plain hurts my brain.
    • Up x 1
  12. UrMom306

valid point on my light assault play time, but I do have a lot of time played in the game, and as I see it, when light assaults are playing the role of an infiltrator more effectively then I see it as a problem. Shouldn't light assaults be used to flank the attacking forces and an infiltrator be used to infiltrate deep behind the attacking forces to hack and disrupt the operations?

Also last time I checked the LA uses the same guns as the Engineer (oh and also those shotguns) and has the same HP + Shields (500,500), only the infiltrator has less (500,400). From a TR standpoint i've never had any trouble getting kills or staying alive playing as an engineer using the Trac-5. My buddy plays almost exclusively Engineer and has a ton of kills with the Trac-5, it's one of his favorite guns.

And my other point, in terms of realism, how does it make sense that a freakin jet pack, JET PACK, isn't louder than a cloaking device. The new sound, has a poping, burst when you first fire it which is the main thing that's the loudest, after that the sustained jets are just marginally louder than the old jets. As I said before, I'm 100% for this change, but i'm also open to some friendly discussion/arguing lol.
  13. Hagestol

I don't think you want to open the realism pandoras box here, we have floating tanks and immortality. We have friggin' plasma beams and we have stealth devices. Silent jetpack isn't the wierdest thing we have. :p

If you want us to flank in open combat then we'll need the tools to do so. As for the inf vs LA argument, we've been this way since alpha. Might be odd, but we've been the sneaky flanky class since the game took form, so removing that is actually removing a large part of our identity.

I'm all for friendly arguing as long as proper arguments are made ;)
    • Up x 1
  14. Wobberjockey

and this is why the infiltrators have hated the cloak since day 1.

9 times out of 10 we can infiltrate just as well by not using the cloak because of the freaking loud speakers attached to our backs
  15. Pikeman84

I really don't see how this means the LA, an underplayed and balanced class, needs such a major nerf. If the infiltrators are having a hard time infiltrating, then buff the infiltrator!
  16. Silver Pepper

This thread isn't about debating the volume, make your own thread for that. This thread is about the possibility of giving the jetpacks faction specific sounds, similar to infiltrator cloaking.
  17. Wobberjockey

if LA is underplayed, infiltrators don't exist.

the infiltrator will never get buffed though. too much anti sniper QQ already
    • Up x 1
  18. Pikeman84

Realism is all well and good, but eventually you have to make a decision; What is more important, balance or realism?
    If we wanted a game that is totally realistic, aircraft would be wrecked with one direct hit from flak, a single rocket would nearly incapacitate a tank, and blasts from tanks and aircraft would easily have twice the effective radius. This isn't, never was, and never will try to be a realistic game. Making such a massive change to class for no other reason than it's more "realistic" is simply bad game design.

And yes, we do have the same weapons as an engineer. However, we don't have the mana turret, repair tool, ammo supply, mines, or ANY single thing we could use to help our team besides our guns and our C4. Engineer is a support class, and the LA is a front line fighting class. The only thing that keeps us competetive against the hordes of heavily shielded HA is the element of suprise form our jetpack. Without that, why wouldn't we just play engineer? We get the same guns, plus a whole bunch of new toys.

As for the shotgun thing, anyone can use shotguns just as effectively as a LA. Ever seen a HA run through a door with a pump action and his shield up? Not fun. Besides, even if the LA is "overpowered" with shotguns equiped, that's a problem with shotguns, not the class. If they nerf the entire class just because of one weapon type they can weild, that will drop everything else they could do into uselessness.
  19. thrikerr

ITT: discussion about how to make the new light assault sounds cooler gets crashed by tacticool spec ops wannabes crying about nerfs.
  20. Pikeman84

There are plenty of other ways to buff the infiltrator without changing sniping. Just off the top of my head, you could allow infiltrators to knife without dropping cloak. Maybe some kind of decoy grenade that fills the minimap with false signitures. Heck, you could just let the cloak last longer or tone down the sound a bit. It just seems backwards to me to nerf a class in order to bring it in line with one that needs some love.