[Suggestion] Stop balancing every aspect of this game towards infantry.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TammelTR, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Yuukikun

DA and AC get good results because they play well. Any scrub outfit can do well when in vehicles. Make them infantry and they'll get stomped every fight. That's the difference.
    • Up x 1
  2. Flag

It's worth reminding the TR that this is -in spite- of the PPA over the last few months.
    "Any scrub" in a vehicle can/will get absolutely smashed by people who do know what they're doing with said vehicles.
    Or by those who know how to counter them, even as infantry.
    As an example, put your average freedom loving rebel NC in a Vanguard, and set him up against someone with a prowler or Magrider who knows the ins and outs of their vehicle, and they'll get absolutely smashed.
    In the same vein, these vehicle newbies are also really easy to kill for the clever infantry player, as they lack basic things like situational awareness, and the understanding of how their current vehicle operates within the game physics etc.

Or to give a practical example, place a scrub outfit in vehicles and they'll still get stomped by people like DA and AC, vehicles or no.
    • Up x 1
  3. stalkish

What about when said infantry outfits go vehicles against an elite vehicle outfit?

Whats your definition of 'skill'.
    What does one have to do or have stats wise to pass your 'non scrub' test.
    How elitist and arrogant do people have to be for you to like them?
    • Up x 3
  4. Moonheart

This is a mere problem of game balance.

There is three ways to balance things:
    1- make everyone equals (not possible in PS2 without removing the vehicle)
    2- make some more powerful, but at a signifiant cost
    3- make that A wins against B, B wins against C, and C wins against A, aka "rock-paper-scissor" balance (not possible in PS2 without a huge revamp)

The #2 is the only one possible for PS2: The #1 would need to remove vehicles from the game, and the #3 to revamp entierly most of them.
    ... and it was truly like that prior to the ressource revamp: the vehicles were powerful against infantry, but that was because they costed a lot more. And all (or most of it) was fine.

Since the ressource revamp however, it's awfuly easy to make a vehicle survie long enough so it's cost is largely refunded... which makes it like if they have no effective cost.
    But if it has no significant cost, then, balance-wise, there is no justification of them being more powerful than infantry.

This revamp led to a situation were infantry-loving players feel screwed: now, their nemesis suddently have no drawback to farm them. They have more power, they have more defense, they have more mobility.... for "free".
    And yes, it is annoying, and yes, we don't like it nor we feel it's "normal".

If vehicles are more powerful, their must be hard to spawn. If they are not hard to spawn, they should not be that powerful.
    • Up x 1
  5. CNR4806

And I find it rather funny that the devs decided that this sorry excuse of a Halloween event, along with breaking the perfectly fine shield graphics, are more worthy of their devlopment time than coding THE VERY BADLY NEEDED RESOURCE REVAMP PHASE 2.
  6. NoctD

HOW TO BALANCE C4

Reduce blast damage radius (make this an AV focused weapon or anti MAX but you have to stick it to the MAX to be effective). Reduce toss distance. Require sticking 2 to MBT/Lightning rear armor to blow one up entirely. Increase activation delay if needed before you can press the trigger. No dropping C4 while using a jet pack (you have to be landed before you can drop it). Given the sunderer got the deployment shield and armor options I think they're ok for now (especially with the no dropping C4 while flying change).
  7. SerasVic

no, they are working

on weadable knifes ...
    • Up x 1
  8. Rift23

Because they made said armored vehicle able to be fully used by 1 guy and thus spammable in large numbers so that a 50v50 fight can easily turn into 50 infantry versus 50 tanks if the other side all pull armor at the same time. The same tankers crying for buffs to the level of wiping out squads would scream bloody murder if SOE agreed to buff tanks but required them to have a crew like a real tank and use teamwork (like a squad).
  9. bookbook

you say well guys

if they continue nerf i will uninstall thie game in my computer

Those shouting “weapon is op need nerf ” Crowd They do not fit this game

i haven't owing to ppa is op to live the game

Why administrators Do not block those threads?
  10. CNR4806

• Up x 2
  11. I play by many names

Vehicles are far too easy to use and farm with already. Vehicle spamming is a huge problem in game as well. You can literally never play as an infantry if you so desire. That simple fact means that vehicles simply cannot be any more effective, otherwise why even bother playing as the lowly infantry? (before you say to cap points not many people care about the super shallow territory control the game has). Only if you are going to make them difficult to acquire should they be any stronger. Virtually all the vehicles in game are poorly designed and could use a revamp as well. They are all wishy washy general purpose farming machines without much in the way of niches to fill. Tanks for example need to be much more resistant frontally, virtually immune on the front of the hull and turret. They should however be even weaker than they are now in the rear and sides. They would then fit their proper role of being controllers of open ground that perform poorly in urban or confined environments rather than the 'take em and farm anywhere' stat padding tools they are now. It should also be possible to de-track a tank or blow the wheel off a harasser.
  12. Yuukikun

I was planning on writing a very detailed and interesting post explaining everything behind my ideas, but then I read the end of your post where you showed your true colors by insulting an actually significant number of players by calling calling them elitist and arrogant for the sole only reason that they understand the game and its mechanics better than the average (and you considering you'd be insulting yourself otherwise).

Thank you for your reply though.
  13. hawken is better

Sure, we'll use "realism" and "immersion" to justify vehicles being ridiculously OP a la post-release weeks/months. By that same token, we'll introduce Javelin-esque weapons that are capable of oneshotting tanks from 4,000-ish meters away.

Realism, right? "Y-you should be torn to shreds with one click of my mouse button!!!!", right? I'm all for it.
  14. Pikachu

No, no one asked to have maximum amount of it.
  15. hawken is better

Hey, I'm all for leveling the playing field. One-click destruction for both sides.
  16. Pardus

Cost of deploying and fully outfitting one main battle tank:

1 magrider 450 resources.
    1 fully certed magburner 1,800 certs.
    1 fully certed proxmity radar 1,200 certs.
    1 fully certed rival combat chassey 700 certs
    1 fully upgraded supernova FPC anti-tank cannon 5,641 certs.
    1 fully upgraded saron HBR anti-tank turret 5,891 certs.
    Time to arrive at destination 1:30minuets.

Total cost: 450 resources, 1:30minuets, and 15,232 certs.

-------

Cost of giving any engineer or light enough assault C-4 to destroy one main battle tank:

2 blocks of C4 150 resources.
    1 infantry fully certed for C4 700certs
    Time to return to equipment terminal, get c4, and arrive at tank 0:30seconds

Total cost: 150resources, 0:30seconds, and 700certs.

--------

Which one of these do you think has a higher chance of killing enemy armor, or making them run away like a little school girl?

There seems to be a slight logistics problem here.
    • Up x 1
  17. Copasetic

Yeah until you look at the bigger picture maybe. I can rack up over a dozen kills in a tank easily. I can repair it and keep it alive for half an hour or more. I'm not using any resources that entire time. I can use it to travel the map faster, kill vehicles and infantry all the way up to render range and it makes me immune to small arms. Total XP gain: many thousands.

C4 gets me between 0 and 2 kills then it's gone. As infantry I'm constantly spending resources on C4, medkits, grenades, mines and deployables. It doesn't make me more mobile, it's completely ineffective against moving targets and has a maximum range of about 5m. Using it makes me more vulnerable to everyone around. Total XP gain: maybe 1000 if I'm lucky.

What's the problem then?
  18. Pardus

Minor issue? A a 300% resource cost, ~300% time to deploy, and 2,176% difference in certification cost to accomplish the same goal.

The obvious question is why take the time to invest that much in a tank when one of dozens of infantry spends a fraction of that to take you out.

Too put it another way, you could do that at least three times over to kill three different tanks for the same time AND cost it took someone to pull one tank.
  19. explosivemangoes

i agree that there should be a long range artillery vehicle but I don't think its a vehicle wheel be seeing any time soon
  20. pnkdth

Why does certs make any difference?

Also, the infantry is question has to run up and hug your tank to deploy the C4. If you have such a massive problem with C4, invest in radar, because if you keep letting infantry get right next to you, you need to work on your spatial awareness.
    • Up x 1