[Suggestion] Stop balancing every aspect of this game towards infantry.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TammelTR, Oct 31, 2014.

1. ColonelChingles

Well hey, if they actually released nice cosmetic upgrades for my Lightning I would buy all those too during the winter sale!

I did plan on getting that NC tanker helmet... but what's the point if when I kill someone all they see is my tank and not my helmet?
  2. NoctD

There's only ONE thing fundamentally wrong with the game balance right now...

C4

Its fine if they want to make vehicles less lethal vs. infantry, but C4 absolutely has to go... it needs to be rebalanced not to be this senseless tactical nuke that a single infantry player can hold in their hands. You don't even need teamwork to take out vehicles given C4. And C4 is being used everyday to farm thousands of infantry and vehicles alike.

Its a stupid low skill tool that's totally unbalanced given all the other changes the game has seen. Its time C4 seriously got retuned.
    • Up x 1
  3. Shockwave44

They are going to. T-Ray just left so everyone has to wait.

Kind of an odd reason to not get a helmet. I guess that's why everyone all of a sudden started taking pictures of their food. What's the point of eating if no one else sees it?
  4. Casterbridge

Makora pretty much stated my thoughts, I really don't want to see any kind of hardcore re-balancing of infantry AV capabilities until the resource revamp is done.

The current state of vehicles and Max units is more than good enough that the average player can almost always count on doing much better with one than without one in most situations, making them sturdier with no increase in cost is just asking for trouble.
  5. ColonelChingles

The difference is that if I sit down in a restaurant, I can see and enjoy my food.

But in PS2, it's pretty uncommon for me to see my own helmet. From the loadout screen and for a brief second when I die... but other than that there's not a whole lot that I can see of my own helmet.

So the difference is that you can enjoy the sight of your own food, but it's much harder to enjoy the sight of your own helmet because you don't see it that much at all. Therefore enjoyment of helmets must come from someone else seeing it. :p
  6. Horrida Messor

As infantry only player this is exactly how I feel about tanks, MAXes and air units. Sory, to say this to you, but if tankers want to have effective AI weapons it is essential for infantry to have an effective AV tools, yes that includes C4 that is a complete bane of farmheads.
    Personally I'm all for buffing vehicles in terms of survivability and damage, but only on ONE condition - all vehicles, exept Flashes and Sunderers (btw Sunderers must lose weapons) become RARE (!). For the sake of the argument lets say that vehicle numbers must be around 30% of currently pulled vehicles.
    And some of the Infantry classes also should become finite resource, but thats entierly different topic.
    • Up x 1
  7. GaBeRock

My opinion in C4 is that it's best as an OP, easy to use tool, because it needs extremely close range- it punishes bad players, and takes quite a bit of risk to use. My single biggest problem with infantry/vehicle balance is just infantry weapons hitting past 300m-render range. Everything else is secondary, if you don't render opponents, you shouldn't be able to get killed by them.
    • Up x 1
  8. LodeTria

Would you be interested in removal of the AI guns from the MBTs, ESFs, Galaxy's, Lightnings, Liberators? The only ones that would have them would be Harassers, flashes & Valkyries which are pretty fragile. In exchange you'd have to give up your current AV abilities for a much weaker one. No more C4 instagibs, RPGs are half as effective as they are now, Mana turrets loose their guidance & damage & weaker MAX ones aswell.
  9. Foxirus

Higby confirmed that the Banshee does indeed have a nerf coming. A very much needed nerf as it has ALWAYS outperformed ALL the ESF equivalents.
  10. ColonelChingles

Eh. It's not the only option of course.

If one faction's weapon is outperforming the other factions' weapons, you could nerf that one faction's weapons.

Or you could totally buff the other two factions' weapons. That's also an option.

So it's not a clear "since it's outperforming thus nerfs" logic... although that does seem to be the one SOE subscribes to whenever it comes to vehicles. I could just as easily claim that the PPA and Air Hammer should have gotten much needed buffs as the Banshee has always outperformed all the other ESF equivalents.
  11. Foxirus

I think you are missing the big picture here. EVERYTHING that is AI that is not an infantry is being nerfed. If it deals explosive damage and can kill infantry, It had or has a major nerf coming. It is clear that the developers do not feel AI is functioning as it should, as such they are making it harder for infantry to be farmed as it is now.
  12. Horrida Messor

No. Because with such changes PS2 will become less about "combined arms". TBH there are two easy ways to stop complaints - 1 as suggested by me and many before me (i.e. make vehicles far less common), 2 - redesign of bases to make it impossible for vehicles to bombard defenders exits. (And for the love of Higby, no more stupid walls lke we see on Wallamir).
  13. Xasapis

How would you rebalance it or change it from what it is today?
  14. Flag

Yet here's the thing.
    The L-PPA and AH are both very good at their role; they don't need buffing.
    Which makes it very clear that when the Banshee trumps both of them, the solution does not lie in buffing weapons that already perform their role rather well.
  15. StillMostlyClueless

What the hell is people's problem with C4? The Infantry has to almost touch you to use C4 and has a delay before it fires. The only time I die to C4 is when my Harasser gets stuck on a wall or I'm not paying attention.

Your tank is faster than infantry, even a Vanguard in reverse is faster than infantry. Getting C4'd is YOUR FAULT.
    • Up x 5
  16. JonboyX

The problem is that almost all bases (and some towers) are chronically exposed to vehicles.

Given the reluctance to redesign bases, particularly on Indar, we instead have had this 2 year yoyo of balancing back and forth between infantry and vehicles whereby the developers give infantry a way of fighting back in and around bases, but in doing so give them a way of fighting back everywhere else too.

Base design is where balance starts. Segment vehicles in to travel between, and breaching, bases - then restrict their roles to blocking a counterattack from behind ... and let the infantry take over the base fights. Then infantry wouldn't need this plethora of explosives.
  17. ColonelChingles

I'll just reiterate my previously posted opinion:

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  18. Haquim

Let me tell you something funny:
    Back when splashdamage meant DAMAGE and not "maybe I tore his shield down" I thought the prowlers dual barrels were a stupid design that made killing infantery harder. Since they could run away/scatter before the second shell hits a second later.
    Nowadays with the splash nerf its a clear advantage ;).

Hmmm now that I think about it - I haven't seen any Prowler infantery farming OP stuff back then when NC and VS could reliably kill with splash...
  19. Copasetic

Give me a break. Move your vehicle and you're 100% safe from C4. You've got no right to whine about getting instagibbed because you spent the last 5 minutes sitting on a hill shelling infantry who are busy trying to capture objectives.

Out of all the AV in the game C4 is one of the few things that's working properly. It's effective against vehicles that are within hugging distance of infantry and not moving at all while being completely useless against them everywhere else. Meanwhile you've got invisible infantry and MAXs tearing up armor columns from 600m away, but no, C4 is the one thing fundamentally broken with AV balance. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  20. Xasapis

Are you joking? The main reason the splash damage of the MBTs got nerfed was because of the Prowlers. What the other tanks could do, the Prowler could do it double, since each shot had enough indirect damage to kill infantry on their own, even on the default cannon.

The only reason you didn't hear complaints since the game launched, was because the launch Liberators and ESF rocket pods were much better. Once those were nerfed considerably, complaints about the MBTs and Prowler in particular started piling up.

To this day the Prowler has never lost the title of the best AI ground vehicle.
    • Up x 3