[Suggestion] Stop balancing every aspect of this game towards infantry.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TammelTR, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Mythologicus

As I mentioned in another thread, 150mm HEAT shells should not be shrugged off by infantry. Nor should 120mm shells. Or the whatever-the-hell-size balls of plasma the Magrider fires (they're balls of plasma for ****'s sake, it needs to cause fire, death and screaming).

The Zephyr needs a buff. 105mm HE shells are less effective against infantry than grenades fired from a Bulldog (which is an available tailgun weapon). It's a flying artillery cannon, yet it literally tickles its intended targets to death and is outclassed by the defensive weapon on the tail. It also doesn't make sense that the 105mm Zephyr does less damage per shot than the 75mm Duster.

This kind of logic is everywhere in Planetside 2, and it makes me wonder how naval warfare and potentially even orbital warfare would fare in the game - offshore bombardment of orange foam pellets and an orbital water strike (*pssshh*).
    • Up x 14
  2. vanu123

They are paper thin, they have almost no armor and can be instagibbed by any soldier. Most of the game is designed around not letting vehicles participate in any sort of combat w/ infantry and allowing infantry to roflstomp vehicles.
    Infantry should fear vehicles not the other way around.
    • Up x 4
  3. Tuco

The Battlefield solution, making vehicles rare, is not the solution.

The solution is the PS1 AMS. ...and PS1 mines, PS1 spitfires, PS1 motion detectors.
    • Up x 3
  4. Lemposs

I always find it laughable when people whine about dying to infantry in their vehicles, and then I have a short look at some of the outfits that goes mainly for armored warfare and see absurdly high KPM and K/D ratios. Hell there are even some lone wolves, like myself that can pull of some murdering in a vehicle.
    Could it be that people just need to realise they are pretty bad and expect that they aren't some monstrous killing machine and play smart? And that pulling a vehicle isn't some sort of free gift card to a 20 man killstreak? And that pulling a vehicle doesn't somehow resolve you of the necessity of teamplay?

All I really can say to people is to just get better at the game, and try and think about their actions and review their deaths and learn from it; instead of requesting all sorts of nerfs, buffs or game changes.
    • Up x 2
  5. ColonelChingles

[IMG]
    • Up x 11
  6. GaBeRock

You're seeing an outfit of experienced players dedicated to their playstyle and invested in the game. Should infantry be nerfed because of DA, AC, OO, or any of the other bif infantry outfits?
  7. Flag

Why? Why not make them respond in kind instead?
    If you're faced with 20 tanks, why not go fetch 20 tanks yourself?

They may be easy to 'use', but the difference of a potato and an ace in a tank (example vehicle) is huge.
    If I were to take a mate who's never really played PS2, but knows his way around shooters and shoved him into a tank and told him to go nuts, what would happen? Maybe he'd do some damage, maybe he'd do more or less none. If they were infantry they'd probably be mostly fine, FPS mechanics being what they are. But vehicle play?
    There's some players out there that make others go out of their way to take them out, because they know that if they don't they're going to have a problem on their hands. Sometimes the reaction towards these players is borderline absurd in size.
    But why do people do it? Because some players are really good with the vehicles, making the (at times) absurd responses be worth the time and effort.

I've been both the victim of such over-zealous reactions and taken part in hunting down particular players for the same reason. And I wouldn't want it to be any different.

Point is, to get good mileage out of vehicles isn't easy. Well, unless it's an Anchored Prowler in the middle of a zerg. That's kinda ez-mode.
    • Up x 2
  8. P1GG

It's because the game is designed so every single person can pull a vehicle if they want to. Look at games like BF and ARMA. The maps have a certain number of vehicles(usually very powerful ones) for each side, so the vehicles are more like power weapons that can win or lose a match, if used correctly. You can't make the vehicles that powerful in PS2 because they are barely limited. SOE could make the more bases inaccessible to vehicles, but since battle over 1 base can go on for a while, that would basically kill vehicle gameplay for a lot of people.
  9. CNR4806

Protip: The vehicle side also spent a grand total of 22500 resource on those tanks, and is horribly unbalanced since there's no foot soldier to capture anything. You're doing something wrong if you actually lose something against that kind of force.
    • Up x 2
  10. KnightCole

No it really isnt, just no one wants limits on anything in game...so any ideas that potentially limit vehicle pulling is shot down. Plus, its not like SoE really would implement such a fix anyway...instead, lets keep nerfing tanks until they cant kill a 1hp infiltrator wit ha direct AP hit to the head...

Limit tank useage through utter and total *************...
  11. Tuco

...cause the 30 minute spawn timer for BFR's, 3 hour timer for Orbital Strike, or attrition in WWIIONLINE worked soooooooo well at reducing vehicles.
  12. KnightCole

Well, when I played PS1 for the very short time back in like 06 or so, I never saw more then like 2 or 3 BFRs at any one spot. Never more then maybe 1 Galaxy gunship overhead, or just a few Vanguards trolling around....

It wasnt anything like PS2, where you see hundreds of tanks all cuddling and *** humping each other over one speck of real estate...sooo...yeah, it did something....

I think it had more to do with the vehicle class restrictions and the requirement for certs rather then any spawn timers, but PS2 would never implement something like that....
  13. Tuco

Infantries strength is flexibility, stealth (small profile), and ease in traversing difficult terrain....which means nothing when the first liberator casually flies over and destroys the infantry's spawn sunderer or camps it. PS1 AMS would solve that problem.

Sure more Galaxy spawning would solve that problem too, but it also turns the game into random Call of Duty spawning where there is no such thing as a front, flanks, and a safe rear area when you've got enemy players falling from the sky in random places.
    • Up x 2
  14. Tuco

You remembered wrong.
  15. iller

Anyone got the OP's character stats? I'd really like to know how many PPA or Banshee kills he has.
    Y'know ... in the interest of fair disclosure and all that...
    • Up x 1
  16. Jac70

I think the time taken to die in this game is too quick for everything. Troops go down almost instantly to automatic fire. Lightnings are pretty much useless against an MBT. Pounders melt through Sunderers like a hot knife through butter. Base turrets last mere seconds when the zerg rolls in. It's almost like the game has been designed so that you cannot survive for long no matter what you are in. That may be intentional, if everyone is dying constantly then the newbs don't feel like they are getting farmed by the vets. This makes for a frustrating gameplay experience though.

Plus the fact of the force multiplier makes balancing weapons hard. If you make a weapon balanced for when there are 10 HAs attacking a tank then the weapon is going to be useless when there is only 1 HA attacking a tank. Still I do think that infantry should be scared of armour.
    • Up x 1
  17. Schwak

The problem is the accessibility of these strong AI weapons that make the game a hellish thing to play. The only clear fix for the vehicle spam and stopping the nerf train is to only let subscribers use vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  18. Schwak

I'd encourage a liberator belly gun buff if the dalton was still effective against Libs. With the nerfing of the Dalton against libs there became no effective way to quickly remove them. Ya it's not exactly the easiest thing to do but leap frogging* Liberators was the most effective way of removing people that just sat and farmed. This is no longer the case so a buff is no longer warranted.

*Hit 15-20 tank buster rounds then pulling up for your gunner to finish with a Dalton.
  19. p10k56

From what I saw two day ago even Titan heat or HE could not kill single infantry with blast only direct one counts.
    So my prediction is :
    Prowler becomes premium harvester due twin barrel
    Tsunami of VS and NC tears incoming
    2 months later Prowler gets nerfed to state when two direct hits kill
    Everybody happy?

No but who cares about vehicles.
    Cos only vehicles which counts are cool one like wraith Flash or even cooler drive me over one more time Harass buggy.
    Sad situation:(:(:mad:
  20. Redshift

The problem compared to PS1 is the lack of a decent cert system, in that game tanks could be more powerful because there were less of them, it wasn't an enforced "you can only have 10 tanks" thing, players had to decide if they wanted their character to be able to use tanks or not.
    That meant most players would only have 1 vehicle certed, you could expect around 30 % of people to actually be able to pull a tank, the rest had to gun or give up something for the day to be able to cert the tanks