Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Maxor

Don't forget the worst thing you as a customer can do at this time is entirely freak out at this news and pull your money out. I can agree with not buying any SC till things cool down but lets refrain from mass unsubbing as it could potentially be what tips SOE over.

When it comes to this aquisition it can also be seen as the investors gambling on EQ Next literally destroying the MMO market with all that it aims to deliver while gaining the company for a fair price as Sony as a whole hasn't been doing well in the past 8 years.
    • Up x 1
  2. Desann

I unsubbed because this game lacks N E W C O N T E N T!!!!!!

I will NOT pay monthly for a game that is incapable of adding new content on a regular basis. And new guns and camos are NOT new content.

Sorry, but no more money will flow from my veins until the game gets new stuff. Nothing against anyone on a personal level its just business. Just how I feel inside. Satisfy me as the customer and I will pay money to the company. simple...
    • Up x 1
  3. VaporCZ

could anyone have foreseen that The Interview would have screwed US over so much ???? Damn North Korea
  4. SolemnSeraph

Hopefully this clan slate will prompt you to check code thoroughly before going live to reduce the bugs. Seriously, I will love you guys ten times more if you become more efficient with your debugging!
    • Up x 2
  5. Sedin

Agreed on the PWE part. They killed Star Trek Online for me when they took over. Although, the game still exists, and a lot of people still play it, with new content etc. Who knows, I just hope for the best.
  6. Maxor

After reading like half this thread i've decided to stay a little optimistic and thought we should list off everything PS2 is lacking that we were promised! You know since they are getting more moneys to do things and all. That came out a little harsh but I meant with sincerity as to remind the devs that delivering on promises is more important than anything else and adding these things would help. Also devs, I still remember a great deal of what Higby promised us during PS2 Alpha and introductions 2 year ago.

I'll start off with:

-Orbital Strikes (this just had to be first)

-14 Continents! The 10 originals + 4 new ones. (We have 4 at the moment....)

-Real continent locking

-Empire diversity (it's like it's there right now but not there at the same time...just like quantum mechanics)

-Vehicles! (you said the originals + more and here we are...also there was a balance reason as to why things like Galaxy and Gun Galaxy were separate)

-PhysX (i don't have an nvidia card..but still)

-DX11 (Like comon now, don't let this turn into FF14 AR)

-The original class dev plan (MAXes tougher, LA jumpin higher, HAs using ARs...theres too much to type it all out)

-300 vs 300 vs 300 battles in 1 base like the good old days (obviously without the server dying of a stroke in the process)

-More abstract base designs (hossin was a step forward but you promised base mechanics only certain classes/vehicles affected)

-Maybe a less F2P game system (talkin about Certs/Certificates and how back in my day they balanced the game single-handed)

-....Prolly more, its been too long!!

If any one else remembers more, chime in.

I avoided writing a real wall of text but some of these had a lot of depth planned. Such as going down the list, numbers 8, 10 and 11. I'll post back if people want to know more.
    • Up x 1
  7. BobSanders123

Does this mean H1Z1 is also going to these guys or does it stay as Sony.
  8. CuteBeaver

SONY doesn't make any games. SOE does, so anything they developed within their "company" remains "Daybreak" from my understanding.
  9. WolfBiteFire16

I fear the worst for this.
    I've Trusted SOE for what they've done, but I don't think I can trust another "game" "company" I've never heard of.

EDIT: I'm not too sure how this will turn out, but like I said- I don't trust them
    I think I'll watch from afar and see how this turns out.
    It it goes out like I said it would happen (which is nothing but I htink you could get a picture in your mind, e.g: p2w, pointless ****, etc.)
    If this happens, I've leaving.
    I'm sorry. But if all goes well, then I'll be suprised. (I think it's just SOE changing their name.)
    • Up x 1
  10. Kaifreezed

Great! Now could you get an asian server up and running? It sucks to have over 300ms ping.. Being outgunned just because they saw you a fraction of a second earlier.
  11. ChipsAhoyNC

• Up x 1
  12. DankBudha

I've been a long time Sony/SOE supporter, not always a fan, but I've liked a ton of the gaming ideas that have originated within the company as a whole. They've always left me feeling robbed on the execution and development of games like PS & PS2, but I'm an optimist and have always held out hope that they would see a game like this all the way through since it's a gold mine waiting to happen.....always too many technological and time constraints put on them from above that has made them deliver sub par products, because they're too rushed.

That being said, they are not a successful enough company to make it through an investment company buyout, you can sugar-coat it all you like SOE, but I've made it through 2 investment company buyouts and nothing good ever comes out of things like this happening, unless you're sitting at the top. And unfortunately for us as gamers playing a game that isn't raking in the cash, there is a very good chance that it will just dwindle out and die like every other IP they own that doesn't make the people sitting at the top richer.

Really sucks, I'll play until the end, but say goodbye to yet another potentially genre changing game that was never properly developed because greedy people need results now instead of spending the time to do something right that could last for much longer and still pay the bills.

Oh.... 'Murika
  13. Nayrx

This is not good news. If SOE was acquired by Valve or Blizzard that would be good news. Those are companies that produce software. Investment companies produce spread sheets. They will strip it down to cut costs show a few "good quarters" then sell it for a profit under the pretense that it improved under their ownership. while actually the the product degraded but the margins temporarily increased.

The Current president of Sony has not been able to move the company forward he most likely approved the sale to show some revenue to investors. I have been a Sony share holder for several years and his main concern is Sony pictures.
  14. Nayrx

this decision was made in Japan or Asian Murika "1965" Because thats when their ethics stopped evolving

Remember in the 80s when the Japanese were good at business and had pride in their companies....
  15. CuteBeaver

The COE of Columbus Nova, and who bought Daybreak is Jason Epstien. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if he plays games himself because the guy seems to make legit choices.

STORY TIME:
    (Read this in the voice of Tiny Tina for maximum amusement)

There once was a company called Harmonix, and it was Daaaaayum tiny, with just two musical bad-***** who met on campus at MIT. Alex was a composer type, and Eran made sweet computer mind love to machines with lotsa music in the background. Together they formed a *****-*** prototype that made crunkcore music all on its own powers. People in the MIT lab were shocked and Alex was like " Come on innn, you are missing the Fuun!"

Days passed, and passed, and night time was AMAZING! ~ thanks to the sweet *** robot making dat music!

Eventually they paid all their monies and finished super boring school, but no company would hire them cuz they were CRAZY! So they said F this we are going to take our Music Bot Technology elsewhere and make our own Bling. Together they made sweet music in front of many people with LOTSA MULLAH! Most of them were like DA HELL ARE YOU DOING - STOP OMGOMGOMG... but one of them truckers was T H A T - CRAY CRAY and decided to give them a shot? Who?... Sony Computer Entertainment! Who else! YEAH YEAH They put enough money down alright. Enough to make fresh robot music babies on the dayum table. They let them suckers develop playstation 2 style with better technology and stuff. And when they POP'd out 9 months later they looked like a little something this:

[IMG]

So now Alex and Eran were no longer hobos, and they was happy as grandpops with tight pants. PlayStation 2 Suckas wanted more musical robot babies, and Japan called and was like "Make it RAAAAAAAAAAAAIN" so Harmonix makes like 3 volumes of Karaoke REVOLUTION! They did realz good. Bonafide bad-***** but people were getting Sleepy. Especially from all the dancing and singing and robot music fornication going down. Also... Alex and Eran were PLAYAs. They were doing Sony and Konami... Some people are into Dat stuff and so that's when this OTHER sugar damsel started getting sweet.

RedOctane was all revved up, she was like Daaayum! Get over here son! On their first date she gaves Harmonix a guitar, and said "Use this to play with me... I dare you." And that: Ladies and Gentlepants is how Guitar Hero was born. People loved Guitar Hero like a knife in a gunfight. Everyone was all like let me try dat shyte! Taking a stab at being a rockstar was THRILLS YO.

Thats when big publishing fish started to circle around the two star crossed lovahs.... In TOTs the most saddest love story EVAH!!! RedOctane was swallowed up in one toothy gulp by the Crazy Activison Shark. It was like "RRRAAAAARRRWWW" Bleed and DIE SLOWLY INSIDE MEEE! Harmonix was shocked, still holding onto his little love guitar... Dem other sharks were circling too. Harmonix knew he was next in line to be swallowed up. Then a shadow descended and it went all dark.

"Squishy Squishy Squishy Squishy."

Something was touching him like wrong... It was a BIG-**** whale VIACOM. He said "Ill save you from the mean Sharky Shark... just get inside my whale face... And Ladies and BentleGents that be how Harmonix got swallowed up by VIACOM.

At first everything was all Steak Sauce with Apples.... VIACOM protected Harmonix and gave them a good place to make sweet musical games. But then after a while people playing were like: "NAPTIME" and game sales STUNK! Yet Alex, and and whats his face were still stuck inside the whale. They didn't have control on anything anymore. VIACOM had decided NAPTIME was going to last FOREVER and decided it would be better to shut down and kill Harmonix. VIACOM went all RASINS on them and slowly cut off the Chocolate Chip Cookie supply starving Harmonix inside. It was worse then bleeding because it took longer and tasted NASTY.

Thats when our Hero Handsom Ja-son.... Epstien came to the rescue.

He shows up with a whale harpoon made of pure-money, and stabbed VIACOMs in the blowhole with all the bling he could spare. Alex and whats his face escaped. Then Jason was all like "Oh Daaaaayum, you lookin' good ladies, lets get to work." Alex and whats his face were so EMO about being loose, and Jason had uh MASTA PLAN! You see just CUZ most people were all sleepy, didn't mean EVERYONE was having Naptime! So Jason, and his new friends decided "lets allow those PARTAY ANIMALS pay to add more custom songs to their games" - BAMO - extra DOLLA BILLZ YO! He also knew that Harmonix still wanted to make music, so he didn't use his company to purchase them out. He used his own personal monies to make the golden harpoon and so therefore all the legal rights and important STUFF they made stayed WITH Harmonix.

So now Harmonix is a free independent developer again. The amount of money Jason used to make the Harpoon has never been disclosed. Legends say it was ALOT. After a Nasty legal battle with the Whale, VIACOM also paid Harmonix some money and settled out of court. Probably due to trauma caused from eating too many Raisins.

So the moral of the story: Thanks to Jason... Harmonix is now a FREE - INDEPENDENT - DEVELOPER who can sell their Shyte games to ANYONE, and maintains their legal ownership of all stuff they make.

Also... Don't make hot sweaty game creation love noodles in the ocean because sharks be NASTY and whales are BUTTholes.

PS: Your welcome - I was bored.

~Beaver
    • Up x 2
  16. Cimota

Having played Planetside since 2004 when PS2 came out it was barely recognisable as Planetside, it should have been called Chaos side. They should re-vamp the original a bit, fix the core combat stuff and re-release the game and advertise it properly this time. The original game was and is a masterpiece, maybe Daybreak Games would do well to recruit the old developers of PS 1 and let them do what is necessary. Personally I absolutely hate PS 2 and many players I talk to on Planetside ( the original) do too.
    • Up x 2
  17. LibertyOne

Investment management firms do what they think will make the most profit in the shortest time possible. In a world where X Rebirth is the best selling edition of the X series and EA's Simcity reboot is the best selling edition of Simcity ever, I'm not sure what that really means. You'd think investing in a game company would mean keeping the good games and weeding out the not-so-good. In reality, it means finding the market that is most likely to give you the most cash and then offering something that induces the largest number of players in that market to fork over their money - at the least possible cost.

Where we wind up as players depends on one thing and one thing only: our position in the spreadsheet. None of us actually knows where that is. I can tell you, though, that I've played this game for hundreds of hours and have spent exactly $10.00 on it. Now, I'm no math whiz, but it doesn't sound like they've made a profit from my use of their product. And I'm willing there are more than a few like me who do the same.

How do you think that impacts the potential survival of Planetside 2 in a world where all games will have to show a profit?

Where is the revenue growth curve here? Find that, and you will know exactly what's going to happen. That could be anything form a huge cash infusion to a repackaging and auction to other publishers. Whatever the case, PS2 will have to carry its weight.

The best possible thing that we, the players, can do is all sign up for total access right now. You want PS2 to survive? You're going to have to make it worth their investment.

Everything else is ASCII.
    • Up x 1
  18. 1994Phil

Maybe they will fix the performance issues that I have with my current rig, just got some more ram as the game does not run at all well on low on 4GB of RAM. Why put minimum as 4GB when it is unplayable on 4GB. Also the EU servers keep giving me a bad connection for the last week or so. Before a week ago I could play well on low settings with 40FPS everywhere, now I get 60FPS but i lag a lot and its not due to my connection as it is 60mbps. PS2 is a killer for ram usage.
  19. Crashsplash

It's not a game company and all the essentials that we called SOE have transferred and are now called Daybreak. Daybreak is SOE to all intents and purposes.

Their owners obviously see value in acquiring them and given that PS2 now is in profit then part of the value is PS2. OBviously we can't know the detail of what it all means but there's really no need to start slashing wrists at this point in time.
    • Up x 2
  20. Goretzu

The problem is that value doesn't have to have anything to do with what customers want or need, although it might, of course.

I doubt they will do anything until after PS2's PS4 release because there is no point until after they see how well that goes, but after that pretty much any outcome is as likely as any other (from running it as SOE has been run for the last 15-20 years to breaking it up and selling it off piecemeal for maximum profit from the corpse).
    • Up x 2