SOE please don't remove quick knife!

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by SharpeShooter, Mar 30, 2014.

1. RIctavius

Well look here's an issue - if you want equip-able knives (which this is about) you're going to have to remove the melee function with guns equipped. Why?

Because try quick knifing with a sword (simple statement); because ultimately someone is going to create a sword for sale. Two yeah is an FPS game, but honestly thats why this **** is considered cody - you 'quickknife' so?

Imagine the one on one knife battles that would occur, a show spectacle that this community needs, a difference in opinion and image. Yeah its a ******* FPS game - big woop, titanfall is an FPS its got mechs. COD has dogs, drones, some bollocking stupid functions about being a battlefield-badass. Battlefield is well - the same, except more crashes. Arma is for people who like to bore themselves most times (granted Altis live mod is awesome)

What does Planetside 2 have? Practically most of the same functions as any other FPS fecking game out there. You don't quickknife ? Boohoo. But you might knock someone's teeth with a rifle butt OR BETTER, you get a bayonet equip for the rail/underbarrel. There's your ******* quickknife replacement.

Jeezus ******* christ, I hardly knife anyway because I can't find a good key-bind to allow my fingers to tap. (right now set to one of my side buttons on the mouse. Still tough)

You wanna cry about loosing the quick-knife in the future? Go ahead, bawl in your pillow first, then pull yourself together and then realize what is open to improve the feature by changing it.
    • Up x 2
  2. Sandpants

What?

If your shields are down you are 3 shots for almost any gun from 50m and beyond. You are dead as soon as anyone even looks at you funny, knife or no knife.

How do they simply stick it in you? Do knives just fly into you?
    Is there nothing about the kniving assailant having to get close to you?
    Or do they just teleport to your place?

I swear to god there are so many ******** people in this thread crafting a perfect wonderland scenario.
    This quickknife jibba jabba is the same crap as it was for PA shotguns.

You got killed within the effective range of the weapon. The damage and reliability scales inversely with risk, so you died quickly as the opponent has to facehug you. Accept you're bad - you were in the wrong place at the wrong time with no awareness of your opponent but full awareness of the probability of it happening. You, your team, or whoever, did nothing to prevent it. Hence you got knifed.

Learn and move on. But non of this is a justified reason to remove quick-knife. The QK is a solution to the frantic nature of CQC combat in the occasion that the relative distance between opponents cause for ice-skating aim, what with the FPS and mouse input lag we get and no player collision.

Removing the quick knife is just catering to the bumhurt. This has been done many times in the past with destructive results.
    • Up x 1
  3. Doomzzg

Quick knifing is back on PTS.
  4. Nobalification

so everyone can now thinking he is MLG when this game is not prepared now for MLG. By pressing one key to knife someone and **** off my primary 10 kg weapon, which i throw on my back and just knifing everyone. YaY! Humanity, how inteligent you are?
    • Up x 1
  5. SharpeShooter

you like to swear don't you? I think someone needs to go onto the naughty step for a timeout!
  6. John_Aitc

I agree that the thread is needed because right now, on the Public Test Server, the quick knife has been removed. There are too many players that express outrage about something on Live that could have been a discussion while the change was in its testing phase.

Mason is completely correct that to use the knife, you have already put yourself in jeopardy and will probably not live too much longer anyways. At least with the quick knife option, you have a chance to survive. The way it is currently on PTS your chances are nil.
  7. Cemdan

Quick knife shouldn't had existed in the first place. The devs were even asking about it back in '12 (https://www.facebook.com/PlanetSide2/posts/329407207103897) and "surprisingly" enough it made its way to the game. As it currently stands, it's a IWIN-button for less skilled players within closer ranges, especially if they have latency on their side. I wouldn't call the current (the ones I've seen anyway) ways of using knife as "styles", yet alone "skilled." What skill does it take to shoot once with Commissioner (or other high-damage weapon) and then knife once; or to be about to lose a close ranged shootout, run to your opponent like an idiot, slashing the knife like a maniac, and let the latency and lack of collision do its magic?

Call me old fashioned, but I've always disliked these kind of mechanics. To me, and I'm quite certain to many others, melee is a way of humiliating unaware opponents or a weapon of gentlemanly duels, not some cheap gimmick to save your rightfully-so sorry hide when the situation goes south. I myself only use the knife in Planetside 2 to backstab clearly unaware enemies (engineers fixing stuff or manning MANA-turrets, infiltrators scoped in,...) and even then I often give them a fair chance to react by taunting (v-6) them before striking.

I'd personally avoided the realism card here but since it was drawn, I think I can utilize it as well. First of all, I can accept that explosions, tank shells, high-caliber bullets/plasma and that kind of nasty stuff kills me more or less instantly despite wearing armour, but I certainly can't understand how some bloody knife with two off-hand slashes does the same. It doesn't matter at all how futuristic the said blades are supposed to be. Cuts take their time to kill by bleeding you out. I'm yet to see or read about a cut that killed its victim near instantly. On the other note, I can notice how quite many people here clearly haven't been in the army by how they claim using blades in a firefight is a good idea. They taught at least me and my comrades in the army that bayonet and ordinary knife is always worse than actually shooting the enemy. Even if you'd run out of ammo (which of course shouldn't ever happen), you'd use your rifle as a club rather than trying to get that knife from who knows where. I don't thankfully have any personal experience from the real stuff but I see no reason not to believe what we were being told. Our trainers after all had themselves seen real action.

That being said, I'm all for rifle-butting even with its proposed stun effect, provided it doesn't do much damage otherwise (wearing helmets after all...) and its effect has some kind of cooldown so that people can't just bash away like they now do with knife. Be it stamina, fuel or whatever, it should have something to limit its usage temporarily. Bayonets could work provided that you lose something to use them and they wouldn't kill you in one hit. Real-life bayonets mess up your aim with extra weight added to the rail, so that's an idea as well. I also think enhanced melee on MAXes could work as well, provided it remains high risk-high reward way. I don't want to see MAXes with max rank kinetic armour (or even worse suits) getting some complementary charge to use their new one-hit-kill melee. That'd be just plain awful.

I'd be quite OK with weapon bashing, bayonets, knifes you actually need to equip and hold in hand in order to use (a lá Planetside 1 and so many other old school games) but not with all these propositions in the Roadmap-thread for spears, ropes, swords, bows, etc. I have hard time fathoming why this many people would like try to make the game into some Chivalry 2: Auraxian Warfare or Assassin's Creed: Auraxian Nights. This is a first person shooter after all, not first person slasher.

SOE, please remove quick-knife for good and replace it with a more sensible and above all, more skill requiring option(s).