SOE please don't remove quick knife!

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by SharpeShooter, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Ripshaft

They really need to add a Test Server forum so that people have somewhere to post about test server content, so as not to confuse the majority of people who have no concept of work in progress.

And for that matter have a place to transfer test server posts posted by the majority of people who have no concept of work in progress.
  2. InfernoKoV

You simply can't just look at the numbers. For one, the knife's range is extremely small so unlike conventional weapons there's a point where it does absolutely nothing. Second, if you really want to talk about the numbers then you need to look at conventional weapons too. A Gauss SAW for instance has an RPM of 577 and each bullet does 167 damage... that's roughly 1503 damage a second. To do that same 625 damage it would only take 4 tenths of a second. This is extremely negligible and given the circumstances of needing to be in such a close proximity to your target I'd say it's fair.

Another thing to rattle your mind... a shotgun does more damage than a knife and it's just as fast.
  3. MasonSTL

So, OP, are you saying that a weapon, with no equip time, that can do 625dmg instantly by a press of a button is a skillful weapon???

I disagree, but at the same time I couldn't care less if the removed or not. I do really like being able to keep it equipped to stalk people.

heck I can agree with cutting the damage down on the quick knife, not in half, but much less than the damage output of having it equipped.
  4. InfernoKoV

A shotgun does a lot more with a click of a button. Equip time is also zero since you'd have it out anyway. You're also forgetting the fact that the knife is only good within a very small range... something other weapons never have to deal with. Let us also not forget that everyone else can knife too and depending on the weapon you're only saving yourself less than 4 tenths of a second by using your knife over any other weapon.
  5. MasonSTL

if you have your pistol equipped what is the equip time of a shotgun compared to a knife?... btw what point are you getting at? I'm not saying the knife is not useful in a very small amount of situations (especially when over extending passed the range of your weapons, which I consider a lack of skill) I think that the quick knife isn't actually a skillful play style.
  6. Crayv

I think something like that would be interesting.

Knife becomes an equip-able slot but you don't suffer the normal penalties of current knifing. Make it so you can swing faster and maybe even able to knife while sprinting.

Normal guns you can smack them with the butt of the rifle, it does little damage but maybe give it a mini concussion grenade like effect (you did just get hit upside the head). Then you could have bayonets which give you the high damage attack like the old knife but with longer range and maybe a downside like it occupies your rail slot.

Overall the current knife system is wonky as hell and ends up giving a lot of power to guns like the Commissioner and on guns like the SAW it becomes painful to use.
    • Up x 3
  7. Fangry

Without reading everything;
    Why does it take a second to holster main weapon and grab pistol, but instantly to holster main weapon and unholster knife?
    Its one of the things that havent made sense, ever, unless we run with the knifes in our hand all the time, or are we all wolverines?
  8. InfernoKoV

Actually quite the contrary... in a lot of games knifing someone is more skillful than any other way. It may not take more skill to perform, but it takes more skill to achieve the opportunity in almost all cases. Knifing someone is the equivalent of spitting on someone's face... Just like tea-bagging someone after you kill them, it's to mock them.

Anyways, your points lack thought... It's too narrow. You can't just throw out random situations like "well, what if your pistol is equipped?" and expect to make a point because it's not as cut and dry or simple as you make it out to be. If you have your pistol out rather than the shotgun then you're either out of ammo or... Yeah, that's about the only reason lol. You could argue and say that the pistol has more range, but why would you be carrying a shotgun then?

The knife is there for those extreme and often rare situations where you can make use of it. In other words, It's extremely situational and trying to balance it simply because it does more damage just doesn't work. There is much more to the picture than just damage and speed... There are MANY things to take into consideration.

If you think about it there are only a few things that can happen:
    1. You plan out your attack and get the jump on someone... You potshot them and follow up with a knife.
    They would have died either way regardless if you used your knife or not.
    2. You come around a corner or make contact with an enemy in very close quarters. You both open fire and you finish up with a knife kill.
    They had the same opportunity as you did and either didn't use the knife or were too slow.
    3. Same situation as above except your knife doesn't kill them and you die.
    Because you're knife didn't seal the deal you were left standing there doing nothing... You don't have time to switch to a weapon and it takes a little time before you can use your knife again, but by then it's too late. You would have been better off firing you're weapon, but you took a CHANCE.

These are really the only things that can happen... So to sum it up, you live or die. It's a gamble. In 2 situations the damage or speed doesn't matter because you were going to get a kill or die either way. The chances of you getting into situations where you can use the knife are few and far between (outside of deliberately stalking people at which point they're dead regardless) so I don't understand why it's even an issue... It's like trying to nerf a flash for running over you lol (It almost never happens)
    • Up x 1
  9. InfernoKoV

It DOES take a little time to actually knife someone... It's not literally instant. The knife only takes 1 hand so while you're reaching for it you could be holding your gun with the other. Realistically speaking, you don't have to holster the gun before you unholster another.
  10. Fangry

I challenge you to knife someone while holding the MCG, JH or a decimator etc
  11. Bl4ckVoid

Make the knife into a sidearm. Pistol or knife.

And all sidearms should be inferior to normal weapons, some pistols and the knife are OP.
  12. Mastermind

game needs more light sabres
    • Up x 3
  13. Sixty

My topic from reddit..

I think quick draw remove is historically first good step forward for game itself. In Planetside 1 knifes are also equipable and no one whining about "quick draw" If quick draw want to be stay, then he must transform in to something different. For me its Bayonet (You can attach our own "hand" knife as upgrade of the weapon) or Rifle butt smash with Concussive grenade Effect. Quick draw are good only in hur dur arena games with fast mindless combat. Not this. When i getting killed by quick draw in every situation enemy ram me with 10 bullets in head..and of course slash aimed on toe and IK.. This is wrong way how knife attack even work. Backstabb or thrust? Ok. Forward slash attack and hit with tip of edge against armored and armed solider? no way.
    • Up x 2
  14. z1967

Quick knifing should stay as a concussion effect caused by rifle bashing/pistol whipping.

The new melee(s) should be more powerful and do more damage along with having various attack options. Melee weapons should also be customizable via SC bought skins. I want to hit people with a (futuristic) fish. Get working on that player studio.
  15. Bankrotas

So... I've been on Server Smash and knifing was non existant at that moment. Let's say, playing VS without a knife was way harder, than any other faction.
    However. It made me think more about engaging. Also it made me think, that no knifing would benefit TR and Heavies of other factions mostly. That would be a buff to NS weapons and higher damage per shot weapons and hits mostly the 143 damage 30 shot weapons.

Also, I do think, knifing is a bit over the top. Sure, it's not 1 hit kill, but it still doesn't carry as much of a risk as it should, for damage it does at velocity it does.
  16. InfernoKoV

Ok... drops huge hulking weapon, pulls out knife.
    • Up x 1
  17. BillBoBaggins

18. Eyeklops

False. Within knife range, once your target gets to 600 or so health a knife is the fastest kill. Only a shotgun/BASR to the head or a pump action have a faster TTK, because they are instant.

Matter of playstyle. There are people who make a living off firing a few rounds close range and finishing with the knife.

Range dependent, but within knife range false. See above.

In a game where the TTK offers little chance of return fire when jumped, the knife combos offer zero. Take that as you will.
  19. McToast

Moin

Quickknife should be changed into a "punch" (animation would be a bash with the currently equipted weapon) with 334 damage. The knife would then become a weapon that has to be equiped. This new knife could get two firemodi: LMB would be a quick slash with ~550 damage, coming down in a wide arc. RMB would be a slower precise stab with shorter range but OHK ability.
    MAXes would keep their punch with it's current damage and get a special MAX melee weapon that OHKs Infantry but has a relatively long draw and swing time. All melee attacks should NOT be instant hitscan, but require the animation to land.

I don't have issues with the current knife/punch mechanic - it's simple and effective -, but in my opinion the knife should be used
    a) as a last resort when both primary and secondary are empty, or
    b) as a tool to silently dispatch enemies from behind.

Different melee weapons should be purely cosmetic and available for SC imho.

Lastly I want to say that I LOVE the concept of melee weapons, even in a sifi-game. Warhammer 40k melees are simply awesome.

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  20. RIctavius

... the knife was already that..... why haven't unsubscribed then?