So...Where is the mag buff?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by lNeBl, Jun 13, 2014.

1. MrNature72

Vanu like to blow their disadvantages WAY out of proportion.

Here, I'll take that PPA on your tank any day. Your HE would be nice too. Can I borrow an Orion? Or how about the no-drop scout rifles you have?
  2. Bindlestiff

And yet here we are, talking about problems with the Magrider platform, not weapons. But while we are off topic, I'll take some 200 damage guns off your hands. I'll also take your i-win shield, extra armour and stopping power on the Vanguard. I'll take your MAX for CQC. I'll take your ESSR too since that is essentially what our old Saron was like. We can all play this stupid game if we want, everyones stuff is always better. Here though, regarding the Magrider, everyones stuff IS actually better - all of it.
    • Up x 6
  3. Xebov

And there we have the problem, again. The point here is not Magrider vs Infantry, the problem is Magrider vs Vanguard/Prowler. VS has no issue in fighting against Infantry using the Magrider, we have problem in using the Magrider to fight against other Tanks. The Main purpose for tanks is to destroy other tanks, not to farm Infantry.
    • Up x 4
  4. vanu123

Sure take them, and I'll take your vanguard that on test can go faster BACKWARDS THAN THE MAG CAN FORWARDS! Along with your almost no drop main cannon, your IWINSHIELD, your GODSAW, your jackhammer, your air hammer, your longshot, your anchor, your phoenix, and your ravens. Should I go on?
    Edit: Stay on topic, the Vanguard and Prowler both are better in every possible way, heck they are better at the mags own playstyle (hit and run) than the mag itself.
    • Up x 4
  5. MrNature72

That did nothing but prove my point. Each faction has issues, and things that are superior to others.

Right now, the Vanguard is great at AV duty, but ****** at AI. The Magrider is backwards in that regard.

I honestly agree you need some buffs, but I'm just tired of it being considered the "****tiest tank".
  6. Xebov

The main balance point on MBTs is the performance against other tanks. AI is not important. I never get tanks to farm Infantry and im not interested in how good or bad AI weapons on tanks are.
    • Up x 1
  7. vanu123

This is about tank vs tank balance not tank vs infantry balance. Stay on topic. We dont need this thread getting shut down like every other tank thread.
    • Up x 1
  8. Ztiller

You want the Magrider HE?

******* Deal!

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH
    • Up x 2
  9. lNeBl

The PPA is the only good thing about a magrider. Like you'd trade the extra DPS, extra armor, and godshield for a PPA... Please.

No drop on the scout rifles at the cost of crazy slow projectile speed isn't even an advantage.

And the orion has been nerfed pretty hard.

But this is a TvT discussion. Tank effectiveness vs infantry is a completely different discussion, and most people would agree that the canister and marauder need some buffs.
  10. MrNature72

Well aren't you just a prime example of maturity, the effectiveness of our educational system, and raw, unhindered intelligence.

Absolutely fair enough, I see your point. Yes, TvT, the Magrider has it the worst. I can agree to that.
    • Up x 2
  11. Ztiller

Do you even realize that the Magrider HE is objectively worse than the Vanguard HE at Everything? And you still want to swap it?

Yeah. I will gladly take that swap and laugh in your face as you try to lob snowballs at the enemy.
    • Up x 1
  12. Qaz

Funny you should say that ... you have our HE already. Van and Mag HE are exact (except for slightly more damage on the Van one) copies! Don't worry though, yours is slated for a buff and ours is slated for a nerf tho.
    • Up x 1
  13. TheKhopesh

It's the easiest, but lost much of it's survivability, requiring that those using it now be cautious and use it's maneuverability to it's advantage rather than just flying out into battle and trying to fight a frontal assault.
    • Up x 1
  14. quatin

You cannot buff the top speed, strafe speed or give it omni-burn. Fact of the matter is the Magriders maneuverability is meant to dodge infantry AV weapons, not tank shells. By buffing any of the above 3, you've made the Magrider even more invincible to infantry. It already is the most difficult MBT to tank down with the most spammed AV weapons in the game (c4 and dumbfire RLs).

The stabilized turret is an offensive buff for the other tanks. If the Magrider needs to be buffed to compensate, it needs an offensive buff. Give it a limited free shooting option like the Spur.
  15. Xebov

The point is that the Magrider cant do anything to stand out and build on when fighting with it. The Prowler is the fastest and has most DPS and the Vanguard is second fastest, most armored and second most dps. If the Magrider had 70kph it would be as fast as a lightning and capable ob catch up with any MBT and do hit and run. Othwise it would need significant increases in armor and DPS.

This would only solve the issue with moving the main gun accurate.
  16. Nody

The Prowler does 70 already; Vanguard is 65 so going from 60 to 70 would only let the Magrider catch up to Vanguards.

As I see it there are a few different options to balance it out:

1) Go crazy and give it release hill climbing++ to become a mountain goat; yea it deals less damage but you'll never know where it's coming from. Sounds nice for a week but reality is it's unlikely to matter with the slower shell, low damage that the Mag has and it would counter the Dev's goal of keeping tanks out of bases in some cases (more then now that is).

2) Increase DPS on main gun to equal Prowler main gun; it can be done via resist changes or simply upping the damage numbers (second is probably preferable to maintain some semblance of balance or we risk ending up in Sundy territory of messed up resists). Prowler is faster, Magrider gets hoover back and forth to help dodge and work easier around terrain and with a bit of increased hover speed to counter the speed of the other tanks and still the issue with hull mounted gun

3) Complete rework; add turret, drop Vanguard down to 60, put Magrider at 65 and armor between Vanguard and Prowler, damage between Vanguard and Prowler and make some type of middle ground tank that's not best at anything with built in stealth (to add something to it compared to other tanks, or a automatically recharging shield with low health below it but a 6k health shield ala infantry)

Personally while I find 3 (esp. with a huge shield health + low health actual health) option very interesting option 2 is more likely and chances are we'll get option 2 watered down with minimal damage increase and +5km speed in all directions and they call it a day (see ZoE "buff").
  17. Xebov

Prowlewr has 60 (70 with racer), Vanguard 55 (65 with racer) and the Magrider 50 (currently 65 with racer but the nerf to mags racer will reduce it to 60). So going up to 70 would make it 10kph faster compared to a prowler without racer.

And what hills you want to climb? Dont get me wrong but the game doesnt have much areas where you could benefit from it.
  18. Nody

Sorry I see your point but TR are suppose to be the fast empire so I'd not go faster then them.

Well beyond the general idea is not fitting with the Dev's vision for example think of going straight up from North Indar with out using the roads up the mountain side passes. Or on Amerish to go over the mountains with out using the roads over it. Hanging on the side sniping vehicles who're not expecting you to sit up there. As I said goes against Devs vision on bases and of limited use with drop but has great potential for being a sneaky bastard from no where esp. when combined with the Mag burner.
  19. quatin

You are solely focusing entirely on the deliberate weakness of the Magrider, versus armor. Magriders need to be weak versus armor, because it is the strongest tank versus infantry. No one else can forward strafe 100m into a base with a PPA, dodging dumbfires and C4 while spraying with the most powerful AI secondary. SOE already frowns upon infantry farming machines, there's no reason to make the Magrider even more powerful against infantry.

Since the stabilized turret is an armor vs armor buff, Magriders can only receive a buff in that category. Everything maneuverability wise with the Magrider is balanced versus infantry, not armor so you're about to mess it up by balancing it to armor. However, maybe you can adjust Magrider strafe speed, but also buff the dumbfire RLs of TR/NC to compensate. I would be ok with that change.
  20. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Couldn't you just lower the Mags damage resistance against Rocket Launchers by 2-3%, then?
    I honestly think the PPA was even stronger back when (same as the Saron :().
    Options for making the Mag more interesting could also include:
    - Making Magburn standard (at a higher consumption and long cooldown, but still good for a short burt a minute)
    - Giving it's projectiles less drop (aka, not nerfing it), lower speed means more drop over distance anyways
    - increasing direct hit damage (would not make it better against Infantry)
    - Giving it Inertia (Would allow it to burn, turn around, and fire sideways/backwards while going at full speed. You know, like other tanks :p)

I can see your point, and I've seen that behaviour quite often, but we gotta see the whole picture.
    Since back when, the Meta has changed a bit, Infantry has more AT options, the Saron has been nerfed, Mags hover low now which makes negotiating rough terrain a bit harder and the mag a bit easier to hit (at least that was the reason for that change, or so they said), and strafing + forward movement don't stack anymore to climb hills at impossible angles.
    In addition, that lost strategic mobility is further diminished by lattice and the accompanying changes to the continents.
    It's not necessarily as clear cut.