So I Thought Claymores Were Fine And Good Until...

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by NoctD, Apr 13, 2013.

1. NoctD

this happened...

[IMG]

I had about enough time to run to the terminal and resupply and kept dropping them!

Doubtful Claymores could have come close, you can't just toss them around like frisbees.

Discuss.
    • Up x 3
  2. Marinealver

I wish they gave the engineers an EMP armor ability just like the Medic Heal field and the HA overshield.
    • Up x 1
  3. Valena

Claymores = Directional

Everything else = Omnidirectional

Can't lie, this was one of the reasons I stopped playing the TR. It wasn't a big reason, but it was there.
    • Up x 1
  4. Flashtirade

The fact that the TR AP mine is so different from all the others continues to boggle me. I can clearly see them, even as I run to my death into them because I forget to stop. I have a hard time finding my own mines without the indicator.
    • Up x 4
  5. VKhaun

Has anyone ever actually confirmed that the claymores are different from everything else? I mean, I know the graphic LOOKS directional, but when I step on them I still asplode and die. It has always seemed like a purely cosmetic difference. I don't use them on my TR but I've certainly seen plenty of other TR placing them and they don't seem any different than when I place betties on NC or Prox mines on VS.
  6. khai

Yep I I have stood behind one well within the blast range forward when they have gone off with no damage they are definitely directional.

claymores would not be bad if you could point them towards yourself when setting them so that they could be placed directly beside walls or were maybe a little harder to see. Right now the directional nature combined with where you can place them and how visible they are means that they can often be seen and blown up harmlessly. Maybe make them able to be mounted on walls. But give them something.
    • Up x 4
  7. DuckSauce

Two of those people died to your AP mines twice.
    One three times.

The TR's finest right here.
    • Up x 7
  8. Frosty The Pyro

yes they are directional. Its presumed they have a slightly longer range from the explosive though. TR can drop theirs in battle and use it kind of like a shotgun without worrying about gibing themselves. NC and VS need to run away when they play AP frisbee. There are several other niche cases were claymores will outperform bettys/proxs, but the betty/prox tend to be mroe versitile in the way they are normaly used. The vertical nature also makes them more visable, and while I have avoided and safely detonated all mines, TR is easier. ((as a note, enemies normaly do not see the lasers, in my signifigant time of play I have only seen the claymore lasers once when I wasnt playing TR, and that was when I watched the guy place the mine.)
    • Up x 1
  9. LameFox

I think the worst thing about them is that when you place a mine, it doesn't necessarily sit exactly how you placed it. On other clients they appear differently, which to me suggests that the server keeps track of them (so they can work when the victim isn't rendered to you) and may not be very precise about it. On any other mine who gives a ****, but with one like that, it could be failing to detonate, or being seen even easier than normal because someone else sees it in a different location.

Sign #3 that your obsession with landmines may be approaching unhealthy.
  10. VKhaun

Not seeing the mines placed is some kind of bug with items placed outside your render range. I don't remember all the details but it came up with the invisible mine bug and again with the invisible phoenix missile bug. Something about spawning the item outside a certain range of you meant that it would not render even when it did come into range, thus people placing mines before you got near them = invisible mines.

Not sure if that's still the case. I have not been playing actively lately.
  11. Frosty The Pyro

no no, i see the mine, its the lasers thats invisable, and I am pretty sure they are suposed to be.
  12. SpaceKing

the green claymore laser wont be visible below medium graphics
  13. Frosty The Pyro

I am on low graphics, I have seen the green lasers with my TR char, and that one time I mentioned were I watched the dude place it. Graphics seting is not the factor at work, or at least not the only one.
    • Up x 1
  14. PaperPlanes

Well at least you made me realize they have a cool and fitting acronym.

Terran Republic Anti-Personnel mine, the TRAP mine.

But anyway, I expect the frisbee tossing AP mines thing to get nerfed someday. You actually couldn't always do it, it was intentionally added. They used to just drop in front of you from what I remember, then suddenly they became tossable. I don't think they'll take away the ability to toss them, but I foresee them getting an arming time in the future so you can't just easily toss them into crowds.
  15. Emotitron

They consume resources, so it follows that they should be a bit OP.
    • Up x 2
  16. Vadimir

Just to clear up a few things in the thread;

Since mines were nerfed claymores have a radius of 4m while bouncing betty's & proxy mines have a radius of 2m. This gives all AI mines an identical area of effect although claymores still retain greater range in a single direction.

The beams will display if the claymore is placed within 30m of you. You don't need to be in LoS. If you are further than 30m from the enemy at the time they place the claymore you will be able to see the mine but not the beams.

If you are over 300m from a mine it will stop rendering for you. It will still be there but you won't be able to see it even if you stand right on-top of it. You can replicate this very easily; using a friend place the mine at his/her feet, drive 301m away and back again. You won't be able to see the mine but your friend will.

All mines are afflicted by a bug which can cause them to sink into the ground. When in the ground their damage becomes inconsistent, sometimes they will do damage sometimes they won't. However claymores are also afflicted with a bug which can cause them to become unstable making them rotate or worse fall over (almost always seems to be face first in my experience). It's possible that this bug also afflicts the other mines but I personally have never experienced it with either.
    • Up x 5
  17. Danath

NC and VS mines on top of a stair: even if I move slow and see them, they are sooo small that, due to the angle, I can't shoot them without being within their blast radius! Meanwhile, claymores have to be behind corners.
    • Up x 3
  18. Dead soldier

I'm not sure but I think that claymores have a bigger range but in only a 180 degree side.
  19. Falanin

I quote this because this guy knows his stuff. All of this is confirmed both by my experience and my internet research.

To actually comment, I still like my claymores. I use them most of the time... switching to AT mines only when necessary, really. The fact that you can stand right next to them and not blow yourself up is pretty **** (EDIT super-awesome... stupid profanity filter) for repairing generators.

They're... adequate for setting traps. If you have a confined place to put them, with cover, they are BETTER than the other factions, since you can place them around blind corners. For use in the open, though (guarding a sunderer, ha!) claymores are pretty much worthless.

Overall, I'd rate claymores as less useful than the other two factions AI mines. Since I prefer to be defending major facilities when I'm not doing outfit ops, it's not as big a deal, but I'd still like a couple of quality of life buffs.

1) The lasers need help. More transparancy, thinner, or gone... something.

2) The red stripes are kind of obvious. No, wait, they're REALLY obvious. I would totally buy weapon camo if I could put it on my claymores. Do you hear this, SOE? I am offering you money for this one.

2b) Related, the claymore is kind of tall... which I don't see as a problem, but a lot of people do. Included for the sake of completeness. To my mind, if the red goes, or we get to put some camo on it, this will be a non-issue.
    • Up x 1
  20. Armchair

The directional nature of claymores makes the situationally superior in the right niche......but overall they are less useful than the VS/NC omni-directional AP mines.

IMO, the TR should receive an omni-directional AP mine like the NC/VS and the claymore should be made a common pool item.

Then the factions will be on equal footing and this horrible problem will be resolved.
    • Up x 7