So I Thought Claymores Were Fine And Good Until...

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by NoctD, Apr 13, 2013.

1. RoMoronik666

I really like claymores being directional, and I certainly dont have any trouble using them effectively. If you can't you really must have issues getting through life, tying your laces, using one-directional doors etc.

But they should be improved... especially as the other AP mines can be tossed, and are very much, 'drop and forget'. Claymores take a little more effort to set up, so they should have a greater payoff.

If they could be placed on walls that would be great.
  2. Van Dax

claymores are situationally more effective than prox mines and bettys, all you have to do is use this to your advantage.
  3. GimpyGotcha

This needs to happen.
  4. untilted

looking at my stats for my TR and my NC char i noticed something:
    -) NC char (lvl30, last played in february - before GU4) - 53 kills with AP mines, 75 hits, 50% accuracy - success rate of 70% (of hits that ended in kills); effective success rate of 35% (of dropped mines that ended in kills)
    -) TR char (lvl26, created in april) - 21 kills with AP mines, 40 hits, 42% accuracy - success rate of 52%; effective success rate of 22%

now i know perfectly well that these two datasets aren't exactly comparable (different GU as basis, small sample size) .. yet i'm wondering if there is someone from the datamining crowd that has stats on these values based on e.g. the last few weeks or so.

if the mines are on par with each other we'd expect somewhat similar accuracy and success rate (as a test for validity: considering the general characteristics - atleast of those i know of - the NC/VS mines should have almost identical results for both stats)
  5. RealityWarrior

I wonder how much of your sample size is effected by people getting more and ore flak armor as time goes by. I personally just maxed mine about a week ago. I now loose my shield and 1 bar of health to a APM. Much less likely to die to them.

Placing them I see the same thing. People set them off but dont die, however they are MUCH easier to kill afterwards.
  6. commandoFi

Can anyone make a video testing how claymores work? I've been curious for a while. I know that you can be damaged directly behind the device, but I don't how it is detonated.
  7. GroundPounder

Do not have a video, but for reference a little funny that happen the other day. Four outfit members standing around a gen in a bio lab waiting for the flip. We placed a claymore down and all stood on four separate sides, one member shot the claymore and only one person took damage and was killed.

Picture a square and radiating out to 3 meters are two beams at a 70 degree angle. Any breaking of those beams will cause the claymore to explode in that direction and within that beam angle.
  8. Vadimir

Pretty much what GroundPounder said. But just to add that contrary to what the beams would have you believe the explosion is actually a 90 degree angle and will OHK up to 4m on a target without flak. In simple terms the explosion is basically a quarter of a circle with a 4m radius. Here is a picture of the explosion I posted on page two:

[IMG]
  9. Armchair

I think I've said this on every page of this thread and all the AP mine threads like it, but I'm going to say it again.

Make claymores common-pool.

Give TR an omni-directional mine like everyone else.
  10. ulceroso

Or we can instead put intermittent lights over everyone else's mine. Yeah, that sounds like the stupidest weapon seen since the huge pizza box shaped mine.
  11. asdfPanda

IMO it should still have a directional blast, but have it pop up from the ground first, and let it have more meticulate placing UI options, like a holographic 'direction of blast' indicator, similar to the hologram of the ACE turret and ammo pack. Also, while we're at it, make NC bouncing betties actually have a delayed blast and launch into the air. Something cool could also be added to VS prox mines. Just throwing out some capricious ideas.
  12. AssaultPig

the big issue with claymores IMO isn't the directional blast, it's how easy they are to see. I shoot claymores all the time because the contrast against whatever the background is makes them very noticeable (also the green lasers), but I seem to run over VS/NC proxies constantly.
  13. Ronin Oni

No, it has to do with distance to the claymore when it's placed.

If you're within 20m or so when it's placed, you'll see the lasers. If you're farther away, then you won't ever see them.

TR claymores are definitely inferior in most situations. But this is Asymmetry. TR's got other things that are better, it's all part of the game.

I do think the lasers should only ever render for allies though... really, that's a bit much dontcha think?

Red stripes are likewise uneccessary. It already stands up tall and is easily visible in 90% of locations, while the other mines are rarely ever noticed. Just make them flat gray. They still stand up tall as hell.
  14. Nogrim313

simple change, and imho this would change them from the worst to possibly the best since you could point one across a doorway from behind the walls making them next to impossible to shoot

does the "trip" area correspond to the blast? or are they being set off the same as the omni directional ones missing the person with damage going in just one direction?

employable in general need a lot of UI work imho
    • they need an active mines count, showing you how many mines you have deployed that are still active (really annoying not knowing if you should put another down when you aren't sure someone may have shot yours, now unless you get a kill you have no idea if they are still there or not
    • mini map markers for deployed mines, ffs the ammo packs show up why can't mines (clutter could be one reason but they can easily be scaled down as you wont be looking for them without you map zoomed in anyway
    • on screen markers for your own factions, ffs i should be able to tell at a glance if a AP/ AV mine is friendly, **** should be broadcasting its presence to your faction for a few reasons 1. so you don't blow your own teams with grenades or tank shells. 2. so engies can collaborate and set up mine fields effectively, and other classes know where to try and lure a tank through them
    • and lastly an explosives area template when deploying a mine just a green overlay or half sphere, this would make AP mines more intuitive and the TR difference easier to comprehend, it also would help spread out explosives so they don't trigger each other, or make it obvious when they will
  15. Nogrim313

until this week i would agree, but now our AI mines have flashing ******* lights so yeah TR's should stay visible to enemies

OR

all the mines should just have a permanent infiltrator like cloak, visible if you looking for it but not noticeable to your run of the mill charge through this door like an idiot players
    to balance it out add a mine detecting tool available to infiltrators and engineers
    it would replace the repair tool and recon tools.
    it would de-cloak nearby mines and display their blast radius when its in your hands and would fire a beam like a repair tool that disarms mines from just outside the blast radius at rank 1, more ranks would increase detection range and disarm distance (maybe speed but i think you should be vulnerable if you removing a 1 hit kill deploayable that costs resources it would grant xp say 75? less than a kill but enough that people would make up for loosing the repair and recon tools.
    when a mine is disarmed the player who placed it should get a notification that it was disarmed/destroyed
    disarmed mines could refill the player who disarmed thems mine inventory
  16. Ronin Oni

well to be fair, your mines were nearly invisible before.

Claymores still stand up like an eyesore.

I'll keep a lookout see if I see those lights now though.
  17. Nogrim313

i think with a template showing the blast direction and area would make TR mines a lot more intuitive to the people placing them, i've been killed by them just as much as by the NC ones as you usually arent looking for them unless you already died to one nearby or heard one go off killing someone else

i've never been tipped off by the lasers before although i have had the blast not actually it me due to bad placement

with a template on the ground showing you the damage area i think the directional ones would actually be better than the bettys because you could put them further out of the LOS to a door
  18. Tyzh

It also has to do with graphics settings. You will never see the lasers on low settings.
  19. Da3m0n

I think all of you bring interesting facts but dont rely on those statistics to provide information on which mine is optimal. Keep in mind that the directional does require some thought process on placement, regardless of bugs if the claymore is placed incorrectly then that in turn would cause the stats to be untrue.
    Example: claymore placed around corner of an entrance but is not entirely facing the would be victim, this would cause the stats to read the damage as lesser than if the claymore would have been placed correctly. Some damage to enemy, the rest to wall or nothing.

Regardless it would be nice to have an open pool on omnidirectional (lazy, lol) mines.
  20. NoctD

I'll say SOE is truly lame - instead of fixing TR Claymores, they just make VS/NC mines all sorts of bling. :(