Shotguns are Planetside's "Noob Tube"

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by dBus, Jul 11, 2014.

1. z1967

Yes, carbines are more effective except around the ~5m area in which shotguns are more likely to win (varies per carbine v. shotgun). The TR ones have their own models afaik.

I have usually found the Trac-5 Burst (lol) to be a better bet than the Uppercut 80% of the time but I just like collecting rage tells and you don't get those easily with the Trac-5 Burst (so far shotguns have 3 and the burst has one).
  2. cebceb44

I'm seeing a lot of posts here basically saying the same thing on loop, all worded differently. Shotguns are overpowered. They win fights. That's cool and all, it's an understood fact.

Here's the thing I'm tired of seeing though. Feeling better about yourself by refusing the stronger weapon for a self-given pat on the back is not a one-way ticket to being more skilled. That comes through actual gameplay and practice. In a game with one of the lowest time to kills I've ever seen (terribly reinforced by clientside hit detection), you're giving yourself a handicap. In my opinion, that's unskillful. You'll feel better about yourself, I guess, but you're still putting yourself at a disadvantage.

I've been playing this game since they were handing out closed beta invites over twitter. I've had plenty of time to play the game, learn the weapons, and do the whole "practice makes perfect" ordeal. Plenty of people have, and that's good. That kind of stuff builds skill. No matter how much I play though, I lose about 95% of my fights to players with shotguns. (it was about 40/60 my favor when against non-shotguns.) Whether I shot first, whether they were unaware, whatever. I'd lose. Almost all infantry combat takes place in small, boxed rooms. It's all CQC, and it all supports shotgun weaponry.

I was tired of losing to shotguns in almost every situation.

As a result, I picked up shotguns for the first time about two weeks ago.
    That loss rate dropped to around 30%, even in fights against other shotgun users.

Surprise, surprise. Skill isn't the biggest deciding factor for a win in a game with an amazingly low TTK. It's the powerful weapons that never leave room for a player to respond or take cover, unlike with most other weapons available in PS2.

People buy shotguns because they're powerful, and it causes other people to buy shotguns so they're on even ground. The free to play model encourages this, but that's an argument for another time.

Shotguns are overpowered, and they need to be changed. This is generally agreed upon. I agree with this, even as a shotgun user. However, shotguns do not make players unskilled. Not using shotguns doesn't make you skilled.

Quit putting yourself above others for limiting your playstyles. Whether or not it's even about shotguns, playing by your own made-up ruleset (then getting mad at others for not following it) does not make you a skilled player. Quit trying to enforce that idea.
  3. Kunavi

It's so easy to rack up kills with my free Shottie that I find it hard not to laugh IRL like the guy in that RL video. I mostly take mine out when others abuse theirs, pissing me off no end after 3-4 consecutive encounters. I also use it when I want to vent some frustration by just entering any structure and cleaning house, no aim, no nothing. Just clicking and listening to the sweet "Ca-Ching!" of multiple Kill notifications.

You can defend that crap all you want, here's how I view it; Either SOE balances SGs and some people are forced to L2P for real or SOE never balances SGs so I abuse them more, especially to humiliate people by showing them in practice that what they do is SKILL-LESS. Win-Win for me. Before you argue that there is skill involved, consider that this makes me more skilled(Since once I whip out my SG I go into Quad Dmg GodMode) than 9 out of 10 players I meet, carrying my SG, even if they carry theirs because I click them away like nothing then.

Which is it? I'm FPSGod or are SGs OP? I'll let you quarrel over it, I've argued about this in multiple discussions and the route I decided I should take was "Fight Fire with Fire". Since I don't get burned while at it, I can continue indefinitely I guess, since SGs aren't OP apparently... :cool:

Did I mention how SGs aren't affected almost at all, or much less, from bad Hit Detection? Yeah there's that too. Cuz they're so powerfull that all you need is that ONE OR TWO LMB clicks. Ever.
  4. Maljas23

So are we off of rocket primaries and back to shotguns, again? Can I get a schedule for Forumside shenanigans? I just don't think I can keep up anymore. o_O
    • Up x 3
  5. Crayv

Shotguns have already been nerfed twice since release, you can't really nerf them anymore without making them useless.

I wouldn't mind them being retooled to being a bit more where they are now and between SMGs but that still means a shotgun will still beat you in a head to head fight at close range.

For those saying they don't take skill, unless you are one of those who thinks skill is twitch aiming ability and nothing else you should know that picking the right loadout for the situation is a part of skill. So going against a weapon meant for close range with a weapon that is for longer ranges means you are at a disadvantage. If the game only revolved around skill (twitch aiming ability) the game would be rather dull as it means the best player would beat everyone without anyone else having access to anything to give them an edge over him (he can't carry counters to everything all at once).

Oh those saying you have "almost never win against a shotgun user" well you probably have... ever shot at someone and they didn't even shoot back as they simply run for cover? That was probably a shotgun user.
  6. NyaR

A state of well-being.
  7. FieldMarshall

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  8. MuNrOe

You guys are funny. Why don't they just remove all weapons in game and force us to shoot snowballs at each other then afterwards we can all sit in a circle and sing camping songs together. There's plenty of situations that render shotguns completely useless try closing distance on any hallway with one. With the radar abilities in this game if a shotgun user manages to close that gap on you he deserves the kill. You had plenty of time to jump him at range with his pants around his legs. Stop blaming infantry weapons for your failures as an Fps player.

You want to know how many times I've been insta killed closing ground by 2 plink head shots from some dude camping behind a rock. Or a rocket to the face from some hill 300m away. I don't come to the forums and demand they change the game to suit my play style. I change my play style to defeat my enemy's. Smart players know this and use it against me and defeat me and my shotgun every time. Dumbasses charge in like Rambos expecting an easy kill then run to the forums when they face charge my jackhammer and die.

They serve a purpose in breaching close range encounters or taking point in a charge. Just because you got jumped by one doesn't mean the person using it lacks skill or their broken. It means you were in the wrong place when it was used against you.
    • Up x 1
  9. Goldmonk

In my opinion, shotguns in this game serve their purpose. They are used to flush out and eliminate enemies in close quarters, an area where the LMG's and BR's are almost useless. Every weapon serves their purpose: LMG's suppress enemies, AR's get in at mid-range and engage the enemy, and shotgun's get in up close for the dirty work. To the person who originally posted the complaint about "Shotguns being so OP": Grow a set of balls, get off Forumside, and take your fury out on your opponents. Let the gun do the talking, not the keys.
  10. Keldrath

This isn't Battlefield.

I know it's similar, but it's not. LMG's are actually good in this game.
  11. Posse

That's exactly what should happen, and yes, the shotgun will beat my in a head to head fight at close range, but if he messes up a bit, he's screwed, shotguns are extremely forgiving right now, you can completely miss 2 shots and still kill your opponent even if he doesn't miss any shots with another type of weapon

Not really, the other CQC weapons (SMGs, high DPS Carbines) have almost twice the TTK, and they're supposed to be used on CQC, but if you face a shotgun, nope, you die, even though you were in your range with the correct type of weapon.
  12. JibbaJabba

If

If you are outside of 200 meters,

If you are outside of 200 meters of someone,

Right now, the most OP weapons in the game are sniper rifles. If you are outside of 200 meters of someone,

NERF SNIPER RIFLES!!!!
    • Up x 2
  13. Goldmonk

I'm not saying LMG's are bad, I love my NS-15 and Rhino. I'm saying they are not as good as shotguns when it comes to close range.
  14. Corporate Thug

Trippy o_O
    • Up x 1
  15. Corporate Thug

I would think that you probably don't move nearly enough or stop to ADS while in CQC to die so much to shotgun users. Try hip firing and aiming at the upper chest/head area and it should help some. There are many aspects of gameplay to improve upon when you "L2P". Positioning, timing, rounding corners, utilizing cover or even friendly cover :) , narrowing angles when engaging multiple enemies and when possible, line them up etc. etc. The list can go on for quite a while, but you will improve more than you have already if you take the time to actually care, in which most players simply don't. You might improve to a point where you are having more fun and stop but for a small percentage of players, it's simply not enough and they will keep analyzing and trying until they almost reach perfection. You can do things like peaking and head shot drills or simply always playing outnumbered and improve, but it's tedious and frustrating, and it's not for everyone.

I disagree with your opinion on how putting yourself at a disadvantage won't improve your skill. It's exactly what I did to improve. I might have maybe 10 minutes of playing in a MAX suit after thousands of hours playing PS2 and I have never farmed in a vehicle. I simply decided that I was tired of being super bad and removed everything that was too easy for me and now I am good enough to consider myself just sort of bad :) I rarely die to shotguns and win a huge portion of 1 v 1 fights, even 2/3 v 1 fights because I became accustomed to exercising caution, relying on myself and learning my limitations to better position myself. I am not a pro but I do know that if you keep trying, you will keep improving.
  16. Scr1nRusher

wat
  17. Fortress

Look at one sometime. You'll notice that they are (barely) modified assault rifles, making it impossible to determine whether it is a shotgun or an assault rifle (or carbine) until they shoot at you.

Dumb game design, and grounds for their revamp/removal.
  18. Goldmonk

There are a lot of weapons in PS2. Try making a unique design for every, single weapon.
    • Up x 1
  19. DxAdder

Shotguns are fine..

If someone gets the drop on you in CQB range Shotgun or not they are probably going to drop you first.
  20. Posse

Then people shouldn't come and say (I'm not saying you said it) that you should just stay far from shotgun users when it's impossible to know if you're facing a shotgun until it's too late. The only exception is the jackhammer, which has a noticeable model, but that particular shotgun can also kill you from quite a distance, lol.
    • Up x 3