Shotguns are Planetside's "Noob Tube"

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by dBus, Jul 11, 2014.

1. hawken is better

I remember when I used to rely on shotguns. I genuinely used to think that I was a 'good' player for instantly killing someone with a Nighthawk.
    • Up x 2
  2. Taemien

If this is true, would you mind telling me your marksmanship score for the shotgun? Or have you even famfired it beyond the ETS range? Chances are you probably haven't, and the reason for it we don't typically use it outside breaching doors. I wonder why that is?

Because its much more effective to put two rounds of 5.56 from a carbine than to try and get a few slow firing shotgun rounds for a possible 'tactical kill'. They're ineffective at getting a clean kill. At the range that a shotgun would actually hurt someone in armor is so close you're better off using a knife, bayonet or combatives.
  3. DeadliestMoon

No it's not, only scrubs would think this. L2P.
    • Up x 1
  4. Liberty

The Phases of Planetisde pretty much go :

I'm awesome because I killed all these dudes... while using a MAX / Tank / Lib / ESF

Then you realize how easy and cheesy it is. Progressing to the next step

"I'm awesome because I'm infantry just like everyone I'm killing. But I'm a heavy / LA with a shotgun."

Then you start to realize you are either killing unaware targets or just plain out DPS'ing rather than out shooting other players in head to head encounters. Moving you towards your next step.

"I'm awesome because I no longer need to rely on OHKO weapons to outshoot my opponents... but I'm still mostly heavy"

Then you try dropping the overshield and picking up Medic / Engie and start to put yourself at a disadvantage in firefights, forcing yourself to outshoot heavies and being on equal footing with everyone else.

Now its "I'm awesome because there are no crutches involved and I'm still tearing it up" ****

Then you start to do silly things to see just what you can do, while everyone else is rocking HV-45's and GDF-7's and the TRV, you bust out the burst variants or instead of a cqc smg infil try using the cqc semi auto. (Because who needs amazing hipfire and high RoF)
    [IMG]

Then after that I think it is "Beamer only" but even I'm not ready to go that far. :(

**** Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of fights where you should roll heavy, but breaking away from the class can really tighten things up for you when you don't have that overshield or 50 + bullets per mag to fall back on.
    • Up x 2
  5. DoubleBill

Before entering in a building:
    -throw greandes
    -enter with a shotgun ;)
    The real difficulty with a shotgun is to get close to the ennemy. He can kill you ten times with a long range weapon before you get close enough to use it. If you succed with exiting from your spawnroom (or sunderer) and coming in cqc under ennemi's fire then... you have skill !
    • Up x 1
  6. DorianOmega

Shotguns have the most RISK VS REWARD of any infantry gun... miss once AND YOUR DEAD, no timely refire rate to make up for those missed shots and changing to your pistol after missing only BARELY gives you a second chance, your honestly better off knifing people once youve missed with the shotgun in CqC fights....
    • Up x 1
  7. NyaR

They were better players then you.

And, in regards to KD: KD is not a winning condition in Planetside 2. There's a guy in my clan called "Taeloz" and his KD is 9+. All he did is use a tank before he quit Planetside 2. Is he a better player because he has more KD? Would I be a better player if I stopped putting beacons and driving sunderers between points and just used a ninja flash to get 10-20 kill streaks over and over? I'll answer: I would be a worse player, I would be a farmer that doesn't face a challenge and never gets better at the game.

The fact you don't understand these simple things indicates you don't understand what you are talking about when referencing game balance. Good for you that you think you're "good" because you figured out how to farm low level players with low level gear and low understanding of game dynamics. Conversely, I think you're bad for playing Planetside 2 in such an autistic manner.
    • Up x 3
  8. Udnknome

...... ..... When I worked in missile silos, we qualified on the shotgun. Apparently, shooting a round or two of double ott buck shot down a steel tube is more effective than trying to aim a .223 round (it doesn't really shoot slowly). In your defense though, we qualified hitting a man sized target from 25 feet from the hip, this is much harder in real life than in a video game. There was simply a pass/fail, no score.

This was no tactical environment though, it was one way in, one way out. This way, there was very little chance for friendly fire... the bad guys are either coming in on you, or coming out to you.

Could you imagine this game with ricochet physics?
    • Up x 1
  9. Liberty

You poor poor dear, you keep struggling for this position of authority but don't even realize how far behind you are.

You can take a look your infantry stats / K/D etc here : http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/hej to see what I was talking about. Those C to B+ ratings means that you perform as well as the average user with this weapons. Not much better or worse.

You can track nifty things like your monthly K/D to see just how much better you've gotten. For example, over the past year you started at a 2.25 and managed to claw your way up to a 2.50. So really you haven't gotten much better at the FPS portion of this FPS game. :(

This next part is going to sting a little, so bear with me. You are actually more of a vehicle farmer than I am, you have ~26,000 kills with infantry weapons while I'm sitting on upwards of 35,000.

I look forward to your reply. <3 XOXO

*Edit* If you aren't already registered for some reason, here is a code to view the site.
    AD38-BP1U-68EF-8H2MH
    • Up x 1
  10. Scr1nRusher

why do you care so much about KD in this game to a point where you actively judge etc people? KD means nothing.
    • Up x 1
  11. Maljas23

Kinda silly to me too. /shrug

*edit*

Whining about shotguns is old news. You guys have got to get over this. They do their job well, as they should, being shotguns and all. Bring a shotgun into a CQC fight if you want to be doing it right.

The only way that you're bad is if you still haven't figured this stuff out yet.

You're absolutely pitiful if you it bring to Forumside 2 as a Q_Q thread, like this one.

Also, by the logic of this thread, the NC Max should probably just be deleted. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  12. z1967

Sticky bomb launcher in TF2 is OP? Lol, I am a scout and I find your post hilarious. Yes the game playerbase is lower. I am 98% sure it is not related to shotguns and a balance of vehicle farms and the major level3 issue.

As a shotgun and carbine user, get a fast firing weapon and stay 15m+ away from a shotgun user. Collect their tears.
    • Up x 1
  13. NyaR

Those C to B+ ratings count the number of shots I made and where they landed. They do not consider the purpose or situation of those fired shots. Shoot 30 rounds at an ESF to deter him with your squad? Now you're automatically bad because your accuracy is down. Shot an enemy in the head after he was already dead roleplaying a comissar? Now you suck your accuracy isn't good. Spent all day being autistic at a biolab farming an entrance and had targets walking into your crosshair and now you're automatically MLG king because you were in a stat favorable situation.

Talking to you makes me think back to a Battlefield 3 clan who would always stack teams and wipe the opposing team and have really good KD and stats and think they're hot stuff. The thing is both that and Planetside have an incredibly tiny skill ceiling in first person shooting. I mean, dismally tiny, completely overcast and belittled by games like quake and tribes - both of which I am really good at. So when you talk down to me because you think I'm bad in an mmofps because points on a website add up to a number I can only let out a sigh, do a little chuckle, and make an attempt at pointing to the fallacy of your logic.
    • Up x 4
  14. z1967

The only real advantage to using a shotgun is being able to end the fight before it has even began (assuming you are close enough). That's about where the advantages end and the disadvantages begin. Poor range, low ammo count (especially for spammier ones) low fire rate, 1.5x headshot multiplier etc. Take a Lynx and compare it to a shotgun and you will see a stark difference in ease of use and killing power.
  15. Liberty

If you want to take Territory without zerging a base with 3 as many people then it actually does mean something. The idea behind this game is territory capture. You capture territory by holding points for X amount of time. You hold points by killing people who are trying to take it back. If you and your squad/platoon are terrible at killing people, you won't be able to hold the points when an equal amount of opposition comes to take them back.

It was everything I could hope for and more! Excuses that don't really address the whole picture, bad accuracy because you roleplay and shoot dead bodies. And to top it all off, saying DA only zergs easy fights to sit back in farm mode.

Wait, actually I read the next line "The skill ceiling is dismally low" yet you struggle to actually be "good" at the game. (E.G. A+ to M ratings in most categories). My accuracy isn't miles above yours because I do the same thing, I'll shoot at anything I can hit whether it is to maybe chase off a harasser or if there is some guy at 75+ M and I have a cqc weapon that I know I'll tank my acc on. Contrary to popular belief, I play to have fun and actually challenge myself (note the Auraxiums with pretty terrible weapons) and when I am using a top tier weapon, it is because I (we) are at a base we are outnumbered by at least 2 to 1.

I do want to thank you for taking the time to play today, I had fun and I hope you did too. Best of luck out there!
    • Up x 1
  16. NyaR

Being good isn't about having good stats. Once you figure that out you'll figure out life.
    • Up x 1
  17. Posse

So what is being good? Enlighten us!
  18. ColonelChingles

I'm with Taemien with this one. Against Level IV plates that are properly secured and worn, a 00 Buck shotgun shell from close range would be unlikely to kill a soldier. It still might kill them of course, but at a small enough chance that it's somewhat negligible.

When body armor is certified, of course they care about trauma that happens to the wearer. This is called the "backface signature", and is measured by placing a block of clay behind the armor during testing, and then measuring the depth of the cavity in the clay after a round is fired into the armor. If the backface signature exceeds safe standards, then the armor will fail certification even though the projectile did not penetrate the armor.

Now no body armor is "bullet proof", and there's always some chance that something might go wrong. But I believe that the testing standards for body armor was based on medical science that suggested that in 95% of cases there would be no "serious" injury where a person would need intensive hospitalization. It would suck to be that 5%, but there you go.

It also doesn't take that much to stop shotgun pellets or even slugs. I have a K-30 steel insert that I was given in addition to a Level IIA Kevlar vest (which is the worst kind of vest there is beyond "flak"). The insert says:

I would have pretty good faith in my Level IV plates to stand up to at least a shell of buckshot or a slug (probably multiple slugs assuming they didn't land in the exact same spot). And that they were properly tested to take into account BFS to ensure that the person being hit wouldn't be dead from trauma (because that would be pretty useless armor).

Shotguns are useful for some military applications. Good for ships. Good for times when you don't want to kill someone. Good for breaking down doors. And perhaps have some role in combat and guarding things... but with the introduction of more advanced body armor the direct combat role of the shotgun is definitely diminished.
    • Up x 1
  19. Fortress

I still don't get why shotguns were even put into this game. Hell, they don't even have their own models.

Besides, aren't carbines enough?
    • Up x 1
  20. NC supporter

Sir, this game was marketed in North America and Europe. One of the major markets in North America is USA, and all Americans love shotguns. That is your answer.
    • Up x 1