Server Downtime for Patch January 30, 2014 6 AM PT (3 PM CET)

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by Luperza, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Xellas

Do you honestly think that the devs/GMs/any Sony employee actually sits around and says "Hmm, alert time! Time to slap the big red ALERT button!"? Alerts are almost certainly automated events that nobody actually manually triggers. And downtime is most likely scheduled at least days in advance. I'd wager alerts are triggered on a timetable that's based off the end of the last alert (aka alert ends, start X hour timer until next alert). With no way to determine how long an alert will last (a dominating victory can end them VERY quickly or they can run the full time, no way to predict), there's no reasonable way Sony would be able to know in advance during scheduling if an alert was going to be going. And they aren't going to tell the entire dev team to hold off on a rollout of a patch just so you can finish one alert.
    • Up x 2
  2. LunacyStudy

Hah!
  3. ScrapyardBob

World Domination Series - where PS2 developers keep track of territories owned on a particular server by each faction and hand out points for what territories you own and for how long. In the 2013 WDS, they gave out boosters (weekly?).
    • Up x 1
  4. UKAvenger

Doesnt change the fact that the vast majority will have it. Cert costs mean nothing in the long term when it comes to whats going to be on the field of battle.

Edit:

Oh yeah, being able to just spawn in on a sund/gal means you dont have to run to it. Just press your redeploy key! I for one like immersion in games, this lowers it.

Can we do away with transportation completely and just teleport all over the place instead? Dont bother loading up just head on out to where you want to be and your squad will materialize out of thin air in your seats when they are good and ready!

hehe...
  5. Landaren

I'm going to jump in every sunderer I spawn at
  6. Alizona

I am so freakin upset that SONY isn't fixing this in this update, I COULD SCREAM

I am not playing until this is fixed. And yeah... I know NOBODY CARES.
    • Up x 1
  7. Karrs

[IMG]

Whoa... what?! AWESOME!!!

This enables multiple very fine squad tactics. Especially if this does not take no-deploy zones into account.
    • Up x 1
  8. Samuel2213

Time to park a galaxy over a base with a bunch of engies on top and watch the tears roll.
  9. Nerkun

What's the point of no deploy zones in the first place? I never liked them or considered them necessary. Bad sunderer parking and lack of teamwork should be punished naturally. The no deploy zone just prolongs battles artificially if you ask me.
    • Up x 1
  10. ddraig

comprehension fail alert - it's not a matter of not playing the game, it's that people wasted the previous hour and a half or so on something that was never going to finish, when it seems fairly obvious that just not triggering alerts before a sever reboot would solve all of this

Fanboy is obvious fanboy. There's a broken aspect to this game - alerts should not start just before a scheduled server reboot.

It could be argued that people should pay attention to when restarts are happening - none of us did - but that does not address the issue of why are alerts being triggered when they will not run through to completion. We all just wasted 90 minutes, bed-time or otherwise.

no wonder people think game forums are awash in clueless fanboys.
  11. Nerkun

"5-10 sunderers all parked inside that amp station", being overly dramatic there, aren't we.
  12. Nerkun

Just because it's possible doesn't mean a leader will be willing to constantly stare at the platoon screen micromanaging dead people and relocating members between squads.
  13. Nerkun

Proof or it didn't happen.
  14. ddraig

Ummmmm, I am of course assuming that people who program computers for a living (game devs) who have automated alert systems (as you describe) can automate the alerts not starting just before a server restart, which as you say has been known about for days. It seems pretty obvious to me, it seemed pretty obvious to everyone on Connery.

Yet here you are assuming that we think the alerts are manually triggered. You need to bang the rocks together a bit harder.

Then don't start an alert just before a scheduled server restart. This seems blindingly obvious to me. Getting the devs to hold off so we would finish an alert is a remarkably self-centred way of looking at things. At no point did I suggest this.

This line does not make us look stupid. But it does make someone look stupid.
  15. Lucidius134

You ever try dropping from above a 300m fall?

Did you know that lock-on rocket distance is 300m?
  16. Elsewhere

You label me a fanboy because I am capable of making a decision between playing and not playing, rather than being "forced" to continue playing because an alert popped up?

Perhaps you should check the definition of fanboy.

Again, no one was forcing you to continue playing, so getting "enraged" as a result seems very strange.
    • Up x 1
  17. Nerkun

Have you ever spent whole battles looking through the scope of your rocket launcher, I have, and it's not fun for long. No fun-no play.
  18. Nerkun

Who says they don't look at it? How else would then know about any bug? Seeing them doesn't mean they have the manpower to deal with all of them at the same time, so they probably tackle the ones which affect performance for a lot of people first, since those bugs shoo away players.
  19. CrazyCanadian24

[IMG]

On another note, I still don't understand why SOE insists on not using GMT. It exists for a reason, after all.
    • Up x 3
  20. Schwak

On a different note though I think this will be the end of tank zergs since you will be able to rain down c4 men from ceiling with your galaxy.
    • Up x 1