Server Downtime for Patch January 30, 2014 6 AM PT (3 PM CET)

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by Luperza, Jan 30, 2014.

1. ForumSidePro720

You mean they haven't played Battlefield before.
  2. Clay

TR won the alert earlier today :rolleyes:
  3. ddraig

having just come from a totally enraged Vanu population on Connery --

CAN YOU PLEASE NOT START ALERTS WITH A LENGTH LESS THAN THE TIME TO THE SERVER REBOOT?

People stayed up to finish the alert, and now feel that they could have gone to bed and not wasted their time, fighting to win an alert which was never actually going to be completed.

Don't you guys talk to each other? How can you possibly start an alert when a SCHEDULED server reboot is going to arrive BEFORE the end of the alert?

WHY?

I'm not too fussed, it is 1am for me so I'm off to bed, but a bunch of people on that server stayed up waaay past their bedtime .... for no reason at all, as it turned out. They are very very cranky. A more accurate description would involve a lot of swearing, but you get the drift.

How hard can it be?
    • Up x 2
  4. Posse

What would be the spawn timers for these? Also, do they get affected by no deploy zones or it doesn't matter?
  5. LunacyStudy

I would be happy with all these suggestions.
  6. ScrapyardBob

If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

1. Setup open-squad
    2. Squad leader (or trusted #2) drives sunderer around to somewhere
    3. Outfit / faction command issues the order to join the squad.
    4. Players join open-squad, deploy into the squad sundy, then immediately leave squad and disembark.
    Result = 48+ infantry at a place you did not expect, far side of the map, out of the range of normal AMS spawn distance.
  7. Nestro

AMEN!!!
  8. LOBOX

i just hope there is double exp weekend,so i dont care if they screw the patch or something
  9. Pootisman

Yes, at 5am when the sever was almost empty ....
    Im not playing at such times.
  10. Serafine

Yay, patch day and it's EU prime time AGAIN. As it always is.
  11. ScrapyardBob

This will be a non-issue if they are done during the quiet period on the server (early morning hours for that timezone). Or rather, no more jarring then the existing warp gate rotations that happen on patch days.
  12. Thrax

hai guise! I kno we r at war, but can we pls swap warpgate, it's so unfaaaair.

Enemies: ok, let me just pack my bags.
    • Up x 1
  13. ddraig

oh yeah, we left some flashy things lying around the base, pls step over and examine them closely
  14. UKAvenger

The spawning system in this game is getting more and more flexible. I dont think its a good road to go down as it will have a negative impact on how the game is played. Some might not see these changes as a big deal on their own but coupled with whats ingame already, we will have problems. I just dont see why every Sunderer should have a built in AMS ability as standard. While im not completely against the idea of squad spawning on Gal/Sund, there need to be restrictions in place so that it is just a cohesion enhancing tool. I'd prefer to see more tools for players to use that enhance thier organisation abilities. People may remember some of the things the Command Uplink Device in PlanetSide allows you to do with your squad and being able to draw plans on the map etc.

(manual binding, set a squad spawn point, respawn at squad bound point, recall to sancturary, notifications of who doesnt comply)

You made revivals of MAX units take 6s. Easy no fuss change. Lets see you do something similar to the reviving of infantry too. With all the fast flexible respawns possible and stupidly fast reviving going on this game is going to turn into a rather boring game that lacks much thought. Disagree? then you arn't seeing the bigger picture.

Leave these things as they are and you nurture the behaviour thats grown over the year, refering in particular to new players as they learn. Promoting lazy play, (spawning where people deem the easy kills to be rather than thinking past that) just out for an easy frag in a game thats supposed to be a war game, with 'massive' scale.

The more you dumb this game down with such flexibilities the more you make it just another FPS where every base fight might as well just its own map.

This is more a dig at the general state and direction of development on the topic of spawning/flow more than anything. Overreaction? possibly. I'd love to be proven wrong, but time will tell.

Oh and yeah dont like WG rotation but it happens anyway and i just hope its a placeholder until things change and become more interesting in the future yes? :)
    • Up x 2
  15. sroar1

Maybe they always look in the wrong place , Maybe the disconnects are caused by Awesomium.exe not being compatible to user OS or the bit 32 64 issue with that process. past few days my crashes have been abrupt like its a display failure .. which is new since last patch.
  16. ScrapyardBob

We gave feedback about the squad-spawn potential for abuse and it was not responded to by the developers. So either they dismissed our concerns out of hand, didn't agree with our concerns, or didn't care. A lot of these abuses could be prevented by the simple addition of "you may not squad-spawn into a squad-owned vehicle for 60 seconds after joining a squad". Even a 45 second timer would be long enough to prevent 99% of the abuse.

For those who think "mines inside the gate shield" will get a ton of certs... it won't. Smart squads will wait to deploy into the sunderer until it is safely inside the shields and sitting inside the no-deploy zone.
    • Up x 1
  17. Jeltz

Two gals one under another max height, drop an engineer and max or two from one to the other, for AA against incoming aircraft and repair, while squad spawns endlessly.
    • Up x 2
  18. Elsewhere

Dear Connery population mentioned above.

If playing/not playing a video game for 60-90 minutes gets multiple people "enraged", I really think some people's priorities are very strange.

Also, If people are playing "way past their bedtime", why does that make it SOE's fault?. Why cant people take responsibility for their own actions, rather than blaming anything and everything else?. If its past your bedtime, go to bed, simple as that. If you think gaining x amount of kills/exp is a justification and more important than feeling like crap at work the next day, it was still your decision to stay up, nobody else's.

No wonder people think gamers are an entitled bunch of whiners.
    • Up x 3
  19. Diplocaulus

Once again thanks for a great game! :)

QUESTION: What is a WDS?
  20. Karrs

The way I read the patch notes, I believe you still have to buy the certification. It just doesn't take up a Defense slot anymore.