RIP PPA

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Caoo, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Flapatax

Ground PPA needed a nerf, and it means one less thing for NC and TR to cry about.

Now let's talk about the banshee.
  2. t31os

You cannot possibly know a proportionate enough amount of TR or NC players to say *most*, or even use this forum as a representative number of a faction's players. You can say *most* if you like, but it's highly unlikely any player knows the opinions of even 1% of the playerbase, and that's being generous.
  3. DatVanuMan

If I my predictions are correct, I'd say:
    Around 45% of the TR and MAYBE 67% of the NC want the Lancer nerfed.
  4. t31os

Do you do Tarot Cards or Star Signs to?
  5. Hogofogo

I rarely post on forums, but this time I reset my password so I can write

???!!!ARRGGHH!FC!K!!

Now I have weapon which is good to "defend" my tank, thrilling.
    You could take care that PPA can't be spammed by further decreasing clip and keep rest, but no, you made it crap. Good approach. More bullet drop and cof to our hi tech "lasers".
  6. DrBash00

Lol... yeah there was a picture with Vanu = Easy mode!

I dont testet the new PPA, only read the patchnotes and it sounds like it is in line now with the other weapons.
    Hopefully the New PPA is addet on the skythe, because i think burst is better on the skythe as the old one.

But it is like the New striker!

It is a Step in the right direciton!
    It was like VS crying for years about the HE prowler, but farmed with the PPA... now we have everything nerfed and in line, so maby you learn something and stop to cry for nerfs, because nerf will always hit all factions and all player...
  7. gibstorm

Meh, who cares. One AA max can get rid of all ESF. It defiantly a good weapon maybe even OP but i don't think it really effects the battle field that much.

I would fry bigger fish first.
  8. DatVanuMan

Do you mean too?
    If so, no.
  9. Xasapis

There is no need to talk about the Banshee. It is confirmed by Higby to be the next in line for balancing.
  10. Flapatax

I can and have face tanked a burster max to death with a banshee mossie.
  11. t31os

I did indeed, thanks for the correction.. :)

Shame, i'm curious what's in the stars for Gemini today.. :(
  12. gibstorm

I have to other ESF as well if let them setup before you start shooting them.

Going 1vs1 against an ESF is not good. Most of your battles should not be a straight up head to head fight.

Never has a zerg said....Zomg these banshees are tearing us apart we are going to lose this base.
  13. Mxiter

I think that the hardest part of this nerf is that VS will finally have to learn what trigger discipline is to still overperform marauder and canister. :D
  14. ColonelChingles

Not really. It would theoretically be possible to contain a small amount of plasma within a toroidal magnetic cage (which in turn is another physical construct with mass). The entire cage is propelled, and once the cage hits something and is destroyed then the plasma is released. You would also need a continuous energy source for the plasma once it is en route, because de-energized plasma quickly turns into another form of matter.

Think of it less like a glob of plasma and more like a tiny rocket/rail-propelled grenade with a plasma payload.

This I think would be correct, at least in comparison to traditional bullets or railgun projectiles. You just can't send a delicate containment cage at too high a velocity.

Possibly. Certainly with plasma technology now you'd need an on-board energy source to energize the plasma as it travels. Otherwise by the time the containment cage hit the enemy, all they'd feel was hot gas.

Partly true. I figure this is how infantry shields work against VS plasma weapons anyhow. But not all magnetic fields would work to disrupt plasma... obviously they would have to be properly strong and configured.

A few problems with this theory, the largest being that weapons like the PPA are explicitly stated to be plasma-based. Another is that VS weapons seem to follow the idea of plasma-based weaponry much more closely in terms of reduced velocity and aesthetics (for example).

Particle beams are often really really tiny (almost invisible) and travel really quickly. These do not seem to be the sorts of weapon projectiles that we see in PS2.

The plasma explanation isn't perfect, but it makes lots more sense than to say that the VS use lasers or particle beams.
  15. DatVanuMan

Dad...
    I don't get it!
    D:>
  16. Devrailis

Thank Higby you Vanu are the hardest, baddest Higby-dunkers on Auraxis, with the skills, the steel nuggets, and the spandex to play with such handicaps.

If you guys weren't so godly skilled compared to the peasants in NC and TR, this game would be dead from all the nerfs and the fact that 1 faction out of 3 is forced to play with their hands tied behind their backs.
    • Up x 3
  17. Shaggath

It's a glorious day ppa is now like other weapon a cqc ia weapon, now you want range you use a kobalt.

For physic rules laser is photon plasma is gas and like all matter have a weight and in this case try to propel a gas on long range it's impossible you a need a vector to confine the charge.
  18. ronjahn

Weapon power:
    So a weapon which has been OP gets balanced to be in line with the other ESAI weapons and you consider it useless?(without more than 12hrs of practice using the weapon)

Consider how TR and NC must have felt using their ESAI for the past few years. Consider how NC and TR felt going against PPAs spraying perfectly accurate, high ROF, no drop, no COF, high splash damage blobs of death from 300m away.

This nerf was needed for balance and piece of mind in the TR/NC camps.

I'm curious, is the new PPA more effective than the Cannister? This is an interesting topic to me because they now share the same CQC role. With splash damage and a refocus on CQC, I would assume it still outclasses the Cannister by a fair margin even after the nerf.

VS faction identity:

Pretty sure it still shoots glowing orb of plasma, has an interesting burst fire pattern, makes a futuristic SHOOM sHoom SHOOM sound, and has a weapon model which looks futuristic/scifi. How has this changed faction identity at all? Unless you consider the VS' faction trait to be spamming A clearly unbalanced weapon, then nothing has changed on this topic.

Sounds like someone's jimmies are rustled because their OP toy was brought in line.
  19. t31os

That's ok son, you will in time.. ;)
    • Up x 2
  20. Degenatron

I've also seen 5 heavy VS stand on the lip of a Biolab and fire disco orbs down on people on the ground and score hits and kills. You can't do that with a MCG or Jackhammer.

On the other hand, I agree. The MCG is extremely effective at the 50m range, especially with the BRRT attached. Being an NC, I'd be just fine if the MCG and Lasher were both "adjusted" to have a maximum effective range of 20m.